Like a Damaged Nerve

Told You I Shouldn't Leave

My due date… has passed. To say it was a disappointment was an understatement. Usually, babies come way before their due dates. Not this little girl though. Apparently, she’s on her own schedule… and her daddy’s not happy about it.

“If you go into to labor while I’m gone…” he muttered while he was packing his bag for the away game tomorrow night. The team was leaving later tonight for it though.

“Well, Jonny, I don’t know what to do! You can’t miss a game because I might go into labor…” I repeated for the millionth time.

All he did was huff in frustration. This was taking a toll on both of us. Maybe this baby should have been planned a little better so my due date wasn’t during the season…

Still without speaking, Jonny came over and sat on the bed where I was still sitting with the covers wrapped around me. His hand came to my stomach, resting on it. After a few moments, our little girl gave that spot a hardy kick. It caused a big grin to spread across Jonathan’s face.

“I don’t want to miss anything,” he spoke gently.

“I know you don’t,” I softened my tone, placing my hand on top of his.

Slowly, I laced my fingers with his. His smile began to come back over him. I liked that better. I don’t like to see him get worked up over things like this.

“Everything will be ok,” I assured him, giving his hand a squeeze.

He nodded his head and then lay out next to me. I did my best to snuggle up to him with our little pumpkin in the way. While we were lying here, I began to feel… differently. As it went on, I just chalked it up as the baby moving. But then… I felt this… pop and even thought I heard it…

“Did you… hear that?” I glanced over at Jonny.

“… Hear what?” his brow wrinkled as he glanced back at me.

“I don’t… know,” I was confused… and kind of concerned. What happened?

“What is wrong with you?” he chuckled.

“Nothing,” I muttered and got up to go into the bathroom.

Once my bare feet came into contact with the cool tiles, I let out a sigh. Just as I was relaxing again, I felt rush of liquid come gushing out of me. It was the weirdest thing I have ever experienced in my life… and so, so gross.

“Jonny…” I shouted once the shock wore off.

“Yeah?” he called back.

“I think… um… my… water broke,” I informed in.

“… Your what?!” I heard the panic in his voice. Oh, dear…

Before I could come back with some calming words, he was scurrying into the room; his eyes wide with hysteria. His gaze scanned over the dampness along my pants and I swore his face flushed white.

“It’s ok,” I quickly stated.

“But your water broke! You’re labor!” his voice was unsteady.

“Oh my god, Jonny,” I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.

He huffed heavily and brought his phone from his pocket. With shaky hands, his fingers tapped at the screen before putting it to his ear.

“Who are you calling?” I rolled my eyes while I asked.

“Your doctor,” he muttered and stepped out of the room.

I sighed and walked to the doorway and stayed there… not wanting that gross thing to happen again on the carpet. As Jonny waited for someone to answer, he began to pace. We’ve talked about this moment so much. I never thought he would react this way.

Once he got a hold of my doctor, she wanted me to come into the office to get checked out. After getting off the phone, Jonny got me a change of clothes and some things to protect his car seat before we hurried off.

On the drive, he seemed to calm down a bit. When he took a hand from the wheel, I reached over to hold onto it. With our fingers laced, he brought our hands up to place a kiss on the back of mine.

However, when this moment was over, things quickly changed. I swear, the second we were inside the doctor’s office, my contractions started… and they were intense and way too close together for my liking. I was quickly emitted to the hospital… and Jonny got to miss his next game to be with me. He had a smug smile on his face when he got off of the phone with Coach Q.

“Told you I shouldn’t leave,” was his comment.

All I did was roll my eyes… and reached for his hand as another contraction rippled through my body. I was thankful that this didn’t last long. I’ve heard so many stories from wives of other players about how long they were in labor. Mine was only a handful of hours before Jonny was holding his baby girl; our little Aubrey Renee. She came out with a full head of brown hair and her daddy’s eyes. She was so precious.

“We have to send a picture to Katie,” I told him once everyone cleared out of the room to let us have a moment.

“We’ll get some taken and…”

“No, right now,” I said and reached for my phone.

Jonathan was already sitting next to me with Aubrey snuggled tightly against his chest. Her little face could be seen though. I quickly flipped my front camera on and snapped a picture of all three of us, but making sure the baby was the focal point. It was my new favorite.

Jonny said he’d get it printed tomorrow and send it out. But just by chance she was allowed some type of internet access, I sent it to Katie’s email, letting her know that she was officially an aunt… and she had a little niece that couldn’t wait to meet her.
♠ ♠ ♠
BABY TOEWS :D