Like a Damaged Nerve

Turn the Damn News On

Jonathan… eventually convinced me that we needed to take Aubrey across the boarder. While we were gone, Patrick said he was going to spend some time back at his hometown as well. It made me worry about him a little less. Ever since we got that last package, he seems to be doing a little better.

Once we arrived at Jonny’s parents’ house though, I kind of… forgot all about all the stress that’s been going on lately. Everyone seemed so happy to be around each other. There wasn’t any tension between anyone like I usually feel when I’m around his mom and dad. They were all just so excited to see their grandchild and how much she’s grown since they’ve last seen her.

After a few days of us being there, his parent’s were so kind to watch her so that Jonny and I could go out for dinner. We haven’t really done this since she’s been born. Seven months later, we finally have a night to ourselves.

“This is strange,” I spoke once we were sitting across from each other in a restaurant that Jonathan picked out.

“But I like it,” he smiled and then reached across the table to take one of my hands.

Mine quickly spread across my face while I squeezed his in return. A sparkle took over his dark gaze that always made my knees weak. I felt like we were on our first date all over again… and it was such a great feeling. Even though our night out was interrupted by a few fans approaching, we still had such a great time.

By the time we got back, all of the lights were out. No one was around to make a sound. Knowing they were in bed, Jonny took my hand and led me up to his room. Once the door was shut, I started to walk away from him to jump onto the bed. However, his hand came to my waist, spinning me around and pulling me closer to him. A smug expression took over his face when our eyes met. I couldn’t keep from giggling from this look before he closed the gap between us, letting our lips touch. It was so sweet and loving and I never wanted it to end… But it did… because my phone rang.

I pulled away, causing Jonny to groan loudly and attempt to pull me back in. Somehow, I managed to fight him off to get to my purse that had fallen to the floor in our sudden makeout. Once I got it, Patrick’s name was lighting up the screen. Quickly, I pressed it to my ear.

“Turn on the news,” was the first thing that came out of him.

“What?” I was surprised by this. No greeting? Ok then, Pat.

“Turn on the news,” he repeated, seeming a little frantic now.

“Patrick, what’s going…”

“Just turn the damn news on,” he snapped at me.

Apparently, it was loud enough for Jonny to hear. He gave me a weird look and flipped the TV on. He punched in the channel of the national news on the remote. Once it came through, I dropped my phone to the floor. My hand came over my mouth to hold in the gasp that was threatening to leave me.

The headline read ‘New Taliban Video’. Apparently, they had realized a new video of them attacking… and taking over an American base. As I looked at it more, things around it looked familiar… and I needed to sit down. It looked the pictures that Katie had sent us… had been taken there. Going on, it showed them shooting at a small group of troops and cheering when they began to retreat; carrying off a wounded one.

Jonny still stood, but picked up my phone. I don’t know what he said to Patrick. His words weren’t settling into my ears. I didn’t want to deal with this anymore. I just wanted it to all go away and for my sister to be home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was going to make a polyvore set for this chapter... but my internet's slow and I don't feel like waiting for it to load right now... but BOOM chapter!