Status: Active!

The Natural Order of Things

009 :: the hardest part

Liri unlocked her cabin door with a shaking hand and shoved herself inside, closing it quickly behind her. Her heart was pounding fit to leap from her chest.

Coming face-to-face — or, rather, face-to-chest — with the man she was meant to assassinate was much more frightening than she could have imagined. She had known he would be tall, but not so tall; he was almost a whole foot taller than Liri was, and much broader of shoulder, though he was not excessively muscular. Liri didn't anticipate that he would outmatch her in strength, only in skill.

Despite her intimidating figure, Liri was young, and had only been in the business for about a year. She could tell from one look at the kvurisi that he was not a man to reckon with, that despite his air of exhaustion, he was very powerful.

Beneath her fear, Liri could almost respect him. She didn't like him — she could never come to like him — but she could respect him.

Liri had heard that the kvurisi's brother might prove more of a challenge than he himself would. "Two of them," she said aloud in Revereli with a grimace. One would be difficult enough. Hopefully, she wouldn't have to fight the brother at all.

Liri shed her oversized coat and folded it beside her. She wore a simple cream-coloured tunic underneath, with fitted brown trousers and heavy boots. Her dark hair was too long for her liking, curling down the arch of her back, and her wiry arms had become deeply tanned, spotted with sun freckles. She felt almost feral, too distant from her home. Too distant, perhaps, from the person who had ordered the kvurisi's death.

She shook her head. No, she would kill him. She needed the money, and she knew that he was too dangerous to be allowed to live. She would kill him; she would have his scruffy head shipped ahead of her back to Reverel, and then she would be gone, and she could forget. Telling herself that the assassination of the Lightbringer was only another mission was the hardest part.

Yes, Liri thought, she would kill him and that would be that.

Unless he killed her first.
♠ ♠ ♠
liri's a sort of interlude/filler character for now
all will be clear in the end