Creatures of Dusk

Reunions

Lynara questions her life sometimes. More specifically her life choices, not that she can really complain but she does do it on occasion. Like now for example. She is standing in LAX hours from the pack while they are still trying to figure out who the hell was after them. Rubbing her temples, she replays the day in her head.
As usually, Lynara woke up around twelve and proceeded with her normal morning routine. She got up, used the bathroom, slipped on glasses, took out her retainer, stumbled downstairs, and did a dance in front of the refrigerator. Deciding on French toast, she went through the process of making herself some breakfast. Once finished eating she headed back upstairs to shower and change.
Unlike most days, she didn't have a lot of work to do. She caught up on everything last night and even fixed a few problems on a website she was hired to maintain. Life was pretty good.... if you excluded the fact the pack was being threatened. Bored with the day already, she hopped into her car and went to the gym to try and work out. Derek was probably going to kill her for not using the buddy system, but who was free? Everyone was either at work or school and Lynara was not going to wait until five to do something. She was a strong independent woman who could fly away from danger. She spent an hour and a half doing different activities and by the time she left she felt good. Once home, she plopped on the couch and started playing Star Ocean.
That is when her pocket started buzzing and scared the shit out of her. She managed to not throw her wireless controller, pause the game, and answer her mobile. "Lynara." The red head greeted as she cradled the phone between her ear and shoulder.
"Hey Lyn." Lynara's younger brother Jax greeted with some hesitation in his voice.
"Oh god, what did you break?" He only ever used that voice when he broke something of her's or really anyone in the family.
"I didn't break anything." He protested. She could picture his eyebrows angled down and a pout on his lips.
"Alright, then what's up? You have your 'I did something wrong' voice."
"Um," He paused and she noticed some strange noises in the background.
"Jax, where are you?"
He paused a minute before replying, "Airport in Denver. Can you pick me up at LAX in about two and a half hours?"
Lynara dropped her controller and grabbed the phone in her hand. "Jax!"
"I'm on break, it's not like I'm ditching school!"
"Fine." She let out the breath she was holding. "Yeah, I'll pick you up but you are explaining everything to me. Got it?"
"Why do you assume it's not because I wanted to visit?"
"Jax, you wouldn't have sounded hesitant before if it was to surprise me."
"I'll see you in two and a half hours." He disconnected with a huff.

And that was how Lynara's day was going. Dressed in skinnies, a sweatshirt, and my hair in a messy bun, she stood waiting for her little brother to come through the terminal. At five, Jax came walking out with his backpack slung over his shoulder. His eyes scanned the crowed until he saw his older sister. Unable to contain himself he ran and collided with her. For a few minutes Lynara forgot that she was annoyed at him and worried as to why he ran from home. At that minute all she cared about was hugging her brother for the first time in two years. She'd missed him. Of all her siblings, Jax was one of her closest siblings and friends. She never found it strange that she connected better to him (seven years her junior) than most of her siblings her age. She mostly thought it was because like her Jax was a wereraven. The moment came to an end and they stepped away from each other.
"Alright you, come on we have quite a drive back to my house." She cuffed him on the back of his neck and guided him to her car. Once on the highway she gave him a side glance. "Talk Jax."
"Can we not right now?" He looked out the window with his arms crossed.
"Does mom and dad at least know you came to visit." His silence was confirmation enough. "They're probably freaking out that they don't know where you are."
"Doubt it." He muttered.
Lynara sighed. "What does that mean?"
"What do you think it means?" He snapped. "Dad's working all the time, mom's busy with Maisy, and everyone else has their own lives to worry about. I doubt in a family of fourteen they'd notice me gone. Since you've been gone, I've been invisible." He mumbled the last part so soft she almost missed it.
"Jax." She called softly, but was interrupted by her cell blaring the Veronica Mars theme song. "Shit." Hooking it up to her car's speakers, she greeted. "Lynara."
"Nara, what the fuck is this?" A rough tight voice growled.
"Good day to you too, Derek."
"Nara." He warned causing Jax to look at his sister in surprise.
Lynara merely rolled her eyes. "It's a note telling you I wasn't kidnapped."
"Not helping. Where are you?"
"On my way back from LAX. Should I assume you and everyone else are at my house probably having heart attacks because you seriously can't comprehend a simple note that says and I quote 'Don't worry I wasn't kidnapped. Be back around seven?'"
"Why were you in LA?"
"Because Mr. Nosy, I was picking up my brother. Jax say hi to my overprotective friend Derek and possibly every other friend of mine if I'm on speaker. Everyone, my brother Jax."
"Ah, hi?" Jax greeted with hesitancy.
The other end of the call was quiet until Stiles shouted, "HI!" Then everyone else mumbled a greeting.
"You know the rules Nara." Derek finally got the phone back.
"Yeah and I wasn't gunna leave my younger brother stranded at an international airport until someone got out of school or off of work. I'll talk to everyone later. Bye!" Before anyone could protest Lynara ended the call. "Friends..." She shook her head as if to say 'what can you do.'
"And you yelled at me for coming to visit!" Jax accused.
"You," I pointed at him, "Didn't tell mom or dad or anyone. I left a note and even texted Melissa that I was going out."
"Apparently she didn't tell anyone and your friends didn't believe your note."
"I still left it though and they should have better faith in me." I scowled at my friends' lack of faith.
"So who was that Derek guy anyway? Boyfriend?"
"Nope, just a friend."
"Doesn't sound that way to me."
"We're just under a lot of stress right now which is why they freaked."
"What kind of stress?"
"Someone is attacking us." She deadpanned. "Which means you are not to go anywhere alone. Understood? We don't know who is after us."
"Regs or supernatural?"
"Either another werewolf pack or hunters. We aren't sure yet."
Jax eyes widened. "Hunters? What the hell have you been up to? Wait, another pack?"
I shrugged, "My friends are a pack and we don't do anything. That's a lie we police the supernatural bullshit that seems to be attracted to Beacon Hills."
"Is this why you haven't come home?"
"Partly and because I was getting my masters."
"Which you got."
"... Beacon Hills has become more of a home than Massachusetts." She replied gently knowing it wasn't what Jax wanted to hear.
"We miss you Lyn."
"I know, I just... I can't go back. I like it here, I feel at home here."
"What about your Unkindness?"
"Real ravens leave their family when they are old enough. It's an oddity in the raven world to have an Unkindness as large as ours."
"Whatever. So who's in this pack?"
"Scott is the Alpha, Derek is his right hand werewolf, Malia, Liam, Iss-Isaac, and Melissa are his betas, Stiles is Scott's best friend/right hand man/researcher, Danny is a computer genius, Kira is a Kitsune, Lydia our cousin is a Banshee, Parish is a Jinn, Sheriff Stilinski is Stiles' dad, dating Melissa who is Scott's mom, and the sheriff of the town. Then there's me the raven. Scott, Stiles, Isaac, Kira, Danny, and Lydia are in college, Liam is in high school, Derek and Malia who is dating Stiles are landscapers, Melissa is a nurse, and Sheriff Stilinski and Parish are policeman."
"I've never heard of a pack so diverse."
"Yeah, apparently there was a lot of bonding in high school for the group. We're pretty strange ourselves. Our unkindness has humans in it."
"That's because we're a family Unkindness.
"True." The siblings talk about lighter subjects for the rest of the ride. Around seven twenty the pair parked the car, retrieved Jax's bags, and walked into the Den filled with the pack. "Salutations everyone."
"Nara!" Most of the pack shouted before coming over to hug her.
"Hello. Okay, Jax officially meet the pack, pack my younger brother Jason 'Jax' Brenwen. Treat him well, he's here for the week." The pack swarmed him as they greeted him and asked him questions. Ditching her brother (because she's that nice), Lynara saddled up next to Derek. "Lay it on me."
Derek had his annoyed scowl on his face. "Really? This is irresponsible to have him fly here, not tell us, and especially during a time like this. Thank Nara."
"Your face is going to stick like that. And I didn't know he was coming. He called me from Denver today and asked me to pick him up." My eyes watched as Jax shyly interacted with my pack. "He's not happy right now." She felt Derek's eyes drop down to look at her. "He feels invisible now that I'm in Cali, mom's busy with my baby sister, dad's working, and my siblings are off living their own lives. He's aware of the danger and he's agreed to not go anywhere alone."
"Like you did?"
"As I said, I wasn't going to make him wait in the airport until one of you got out." I held up my hand before Derek could speak. "I wasn't going to call you or anyone. We need to save ditches for when we are in trouble, not impending trouble."
"He's old enough to wait at an airport for a few hours."
I shook my head. "We're ravens Der, we, like you, don't like to be caged. He was trapped inside a plane for most of the day, to be stuck inside a building for an unknown amount of time is torture."
"Fine, but try not to do it again while we are in danger."
"Yes, sir boss man." I grinned up at him.
"Are you and Nara twins?" Stiles asked as he stared intensely at Jax.
"Nooo." The younger man replied uncomfortably. "She's seven years older than me and already has a twin."
"Really?! Wait, how old are you?" Stiles turned to look at me.
"Stiles, that's rude." Scott groaned.
"24."
"But you look maybe twenty!"
"I have a bachelors and master's degrees, which in total is about seven years in college. I could have done it in six but I was part-time through part of my master's program."
"Genes man, genes." Stiles shook his head.
"I liked how you were stuck on her age." Isaac teased. "Nara, I didn't know you had a twin."
"Two actually, I'm a triplet. Marcus and Aceland. Marc is in training to be a mortician and Ace is in the stock trade."
"Wow, you three picked completely different careers."
"Marcus picked his because he's a raven like me and Lyn, Ace is human and likes math." Jax informed.
"Nara, did you choose to stay because of our high mortality rate?" Stiles put his fists on his hips.
"No." She rolled her eyes. "When I moved here I had no idea Beacon Hills was a Hellmouth."
"Okay, fair enough." Stiles conceded.
"Now if you'll excuse me, I have dinner to make." As I departed for the kitchen the room erupted into cheers. Apparently no one had thought to eat while I was driving home.
♠ ♠ ♠
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=150400098 -Nara's outfit