Alice Returning

Mother

A few hours later the carriage slowed to a much awaited halt.

Dreading my Mothers guaranteed confusion, I hesitate before knocking on the front door.

"Alice?"

"Hello mother," I greet her as I step inside and into her familiar embrace.

"You know I love your visits darling, but I need a bit of warning." She smiles at me with that one way all loving mothers do.

"Sorry mother," I smile warmly at her. "But I won't be longer than an hour or so."

"Oh, well then let us enjoy lunch together."

Nodding, I let her lead the way for it's been so long I can't remember the way through these once familiar halls.

"It's just fish, is that alright?"

"That's perfectly fine, thank you." My voice slightly quivers with nerves.

"So darling, what is the reason for the visit?"

"I'm leaving... Forever."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm taking a trip somewhere you'll never find me, somewhere I'll never come back from."

"Now darling, please tell me you're not thinking of suicide."

"No," I lightly chuckle "I'll be very much alive, I just won't be able to come back."

"Why not?" She looks heart broken, and it's killing me.

"I can't say...." Here comes the tears.

"Okay..." She says, her eyes are becoming glossy.

"I'm sorry..." I say as the tears fall from beneath my closed eye lids.

We spoke round and round about her asking these same questions and I giving her the same answer.

"Must you go?" Mother asks, we're standing hand in hand in front of the horse I'll ride to the rabbit whole.

"Yes, I no longer have place here. And I'd rather leave with a fondness of this... World."

She nodded her head, dabbing her tears as she did so.

"I love you mother," I whisper through the tears as I embrace her.

"I love you too Alice."

"Goodbye...." I say hoisting myself onto the midnight black horse.

"Goodbye darling..."