Gone Were Those Days

Damned

Lying on the cold iron floor she couldn't help thinking back on what brought her to such a place. She had been so careful about everything her whole life and now she was there alone with her thoughts in a place she promised herself she never have to resort to. Everything hurt, her whole body ached like it had been beat endlessly with socks filled with bars of soap. There was a heated sting on her exposed skin, a bit how it felt when one would get a sunburn. Regardless of the burn, the room was cold and she couldn't do a damn thing about it. Nothing about the moment was enjoyable or comfortable, it was just mind-numbingly painful. How did she get there? How had it come to such a result? How did she become so helpless? What path led her to this punishment?

She remembered when she first met him. It was the afternoon and she was at a pub enjoying a beer while working on some things. He was subtle but held an air of confidence that she admired. It had been two weeks before he actually approached her and damn it if she wasn't charmed by him. She knew he was quite a bit older than her but she was attracted to his subdued persona of confidence. There was that confidence and well he was a good looking man so really she had no chance in the first place.

Although she was careful not to let him catch her staring she realized he had been staring as well when she would casually look at the television above the bar. Like her, he was getting a look in a subtle way by means of the mirror behind the bar. Their eyes locked and like any other awkward lady would do, she pretended it didn’t happen by looking at her notebook.

It wasn't easy to explain it but she was glad he came over beer in his hand and a playfulness in his eyes. How could she not acknowledge him? He was dressed in black and he smelt like a hardware store, that clean metal mixed with fresh cut lumber. She had to keep herself from telling him to get out for being so damn enticing.

"What're you writing there?"

"Oh um, just making a checklist for this event I'm doing."

"What sort of event? "

"It's an art festival of sorts that I'm going to have a table at," she replied looking at the paper as if she was still unsure what she was writing. A nervous smile played on her lips and she looked up again not to be rude enough to ignore him.

"You're an artist?"

"I just make things."

"You always on the fence?"

"Well I am on the short side I've got to climb down so I don't break an ankle," she countered with a hint of humor. He let out a throaty chuckle and then held out his hand towards her.

"I'm Jack," he said. She met his hand with her own and gave a firm shake that made him even more interested. He liked that it showed her confidence, there was a lot to be told about a handshake and hers said she knew exactly who she was.

"Esper."

"Mind if I join you Esper?"

"I don't mind."

She didn't think it then but it was the beginning of a serious relationship she wasn't quite prepared for. Careful was her game but persistence was his. Damned from the start.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its short but it is an introduction. This is an original concept, my baby if you will and I may not be great at the romance writing, I will try on this story. Hope you all like this new story. Thanks for Emi and Gwen for the comments of excitement/encouragement.