Gone Were Those Days

Gold Dust Woman

It was slow going, he was right she was on the fence, she always was cautious about who she associated with and he managed to arrange ways of meeting without scaring her off. His persistence wasn’t a pride thing, it was a matter of there was something about Esper that made him want to know her better whether there was a cost or not. There was a warmth to her smile, it wasn’t a phony camera smile but genuine. When they talked he could sense her lack of interest with small talk, cut and dry with no bullshit, a quality he greatly admired. They were able to just be around each other without the frills of constant conversation. An understanding of comfortable silence and its worth. Esper hadn’t thought long on what was transpiring between them then it was as if it happened all at once.

Four months in she found herself at his apartment checking to make sure everything was in order while he was on a business trip. He had asked her if she could be there to make sure he hadn‘t left anything on or if anything seemed askew. Sure he had nice things that could be stolen but Esper never got the impression he would care if they were taken. It was different being there in his place without him. In many ways it made her all the more aware of how impersonal it seemed. Jack had the leather couch, the latest electronics, and appliances but not a single photo. He did have one of her art pieces hanging in the living room which was the only thing in the place that wasn’t part of a catalog aside from his record collection. The music albums were about the only telling items he owned. A collection that span from Muddy Waters to Pink Floyd something Esper liked about him, the man had great taste is music.

She knew he'd be back later that week but she had an event so she decided to leave him a note on the counter for when he got back instead of visiting when he did get home.

Hope you had a good trip.

-Esper


The only signs that she was there were the note and the scent of her perfume that lingered in the apartment reminding him that he had missed her. Jack liked how she thought to leave him a handwritten note and didn't feel the need go through his things, it was a test she passed that not many did. He decided to pay a surprise visit to her that morning with some coffee . She answered the door while wiping the sleep from her eyes. Jack smiled at her knowing she wasn‘t a morning person.

"Morning."

"Morning," she muttered as she let him in the apartment. Shutting the door behind them she then took a seat on the couch. Jack sat next to her and handed her the coffee. Esper inhaled the coffee with a sleepy smile. "Thank you."

"Thanks for checking my place," He said as he kissed her temple.

"Mhm how was your trip?"

"Alright... you know I was thinking about something."

"What's that?" Esper replied as she took another sip with a timid expression.

"I don't want to be sharing you with any other guys."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" She countered shooting him a look. "I would never-"

"I know. I just want you to know I'm in this deep, in case you don't think I am," Jack stated. Esper let out a quiet sigh and looked at the ground.

"How deep?"

"Enough to know."

"I don't see why you brought this up," she countered as she set the coffee on the table. She got onto her feet feeling an anger build up. It was too early for her to vocalize what she wanted to say. Jack was surprised and confused by the reaction.

"Because it needed to be said. Unless you're not in this."

"Look I don't want you to get the wrong idea, I'm not great with relationships, actually I can say with certainty that I suck at them because I'm not always open to carving out time for someone else."

"I know that. I appreciate that you're independent and don't get wrapped up in bullshit. You're not easily won over I know you've got your doubts about me and you're right to have them," he said. It seemed hard to believe the very things she was often given grief for were the things he appreciated. How could she ignore the fact she had grown accustomed to him?

"I shouldn't like you this much Jackie," Esper spoke quietly as she tried to steady her emotions. As she turned to look at the pictures on her wall, Jack stood up and turned on her record player so that the silence was filled with the slow Fleetwood Mac melody “Gold Dust Woman.” He took her by the hand and pulled her close for a slow dance. She rested her head on his chest with her eyes closed as his other arm wrapped around her waist.

"You've got me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Perhaps its a short story, perhaps I'll do longer updates. I'm not sure but what I am sure of is what will happen. Are you ready?