Gone Were Those Days

Worry

It late at night, edging on the morning when he noticed her struggling in her sleep. She barely moved but there was a sound of distress under her breath and it seemed like she couldn't breathe at all. Jack couldn't stand for it and began to nudge her hoping to wake her from whatever nightmare she was having. Esper shot up from her spot, her breathing labored and her hand clutching her chest attempting to steady herself.

"It's okay, just a nightmare," Jack reassured placing a hand on her back hoping to soothe her anxiety. However Esper couldn't bother to be touched or soothed back to bed. She flinched away as if his touch burned her skin and moved to get out of bed. It wasn't the time to lie down and sleep, there was something terribly wrong in the air. She had to get to up and make the call she needed so dearly to make. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah, I'm just going to get some water."

Before he could say anything she got up and left his bed. He thought about going back to sleep but there was something in her voice that made him get out of bed to see if she was truly okay. When he reached the hallway he could hear her speaking in a hushed tone in the kitchen and as he turned the corner he saw her bent over the counter with her phone to her ear.

"You know what they will do if I'm not there to help. Just get me there, we have to do something," she spoke in a hushed tone. She let out a grumble of frustration. "I'm not home right now, meet me on the corner of 55th and Main Street." She listened to the other person impatiently. "No, you stay, I'll go for us, no need for you to make an appearance. I'll be fine with Red."

Eventually she hung up the phone and let out a heavy sigh. Jack could see the tension in her body language and he wondered what was going on to cause her so much distress. It was like her to be worrisome but this was another level of worry he hadn't seen with her. She turned around sensing his presence and forced a small smile.

"I have to go help with something, " Esper said.

"Right now?"

"Yeah, a friend needs my help."

"You want me to go with you?" Jack offered.

"No thank you," she answered as she headed back to the bedroom to get her clothes on. He followed her to the bedroom not entirely convinced that she was okay. Esper began pulling her jeans back on and did a little hop to get them over her hips to button them. Her movements were rushed and she quickly put on her boots while Jack watched.

"Es, I know calls this late tend to be serious."

"Jack it's nothing I can't handle, besides if you were having a hard time would you want a stranger to be there?"

"Fair enough. I just don't want you to get into any trouble that you can't get out of."

"Stop worrying. I'll be fine," she reassured with a smile. Esper got back onto her feet and gently took Jack by the hand. He responded by bringing her closer to him.

"If you need me just call, " he said looking down at her.

"I'll keep that in mind."

When she left, she left in a hurry, She slung her messenger bag over her shoulder and made her descent down the stairs. Her urgency to get down to the street corner overshadowed the fact she wasn't quite in shape for speed. By the time she got out of the apartment building she was breathless but she pushed forward regardless. Her eyes adjusted to the dim street lights and spotted a familiar tall man standing on the corner waiting for her.

Jack had been watching her from the window to be sure she got to her ride alright but instead he saw an intimidatingly large man waiting for her. To make matters worse he knew the man and when Esper took his hand, they were gone in the blink of an eye. Right then he knew that she wasn't telling him everything and where she was heading wasn't safe if it meant she was involved with Santiago Del Toro.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had lost a huge bulk of this story via technical difficulties and I hadn't realized I hadn't bothered to rewrite it out until yesterday so I wrote this little bit from memory. Sorry for the delay. Hope it was alright.