Birth of the Dragon

Unbound

Sam

Everything was black except for the red eyes. Wolves howled and snarled, coming so close that Sam could feel their hot breath. But he wasn’t afraid.

“Return to us brother!”

He desperately tried to answer, but he was gagged and but his limbs chained down. No matter how he struggled against his binds they wouldn’t break. Finally he hung his head, trying to block out the wolves insistent howls and the pain at not being able to answer.

The howling stopped.

Sam looked up.

The world was bathed in blue light and he could now see who had really been calling him; a mixture of wolves, humans and some who were halfway between. All were focused on the source of light, a large orb.

“You were never meant to be bound.” The voice of the orb sent shivers down Sam’s spine; it was ancient but young, colossal yet miniscule. This was a creature of true greatness. “Run free with them, unleash the beast within.”

The light pierced Sam’s body and he cried out as the melting chains burnt his flesh. But it felt like more than that had been removed. He let out a low growl and the ‘wolves’ around him turned expectantly; all of them perfectly still.

All except a black wolf who padded forward and placed its forepaws on Sam’s shoulders. Though a wolf, its green eyes held a human intelligence. The human-wolf threw back its head and let out a deep howl of pure joy. Sam joined in as did the rest of the wolves as they surged forward.


Sam sat up with a gasp, he was covered in sweat and his muscles twitched uncontrollably. He pushed his hair out of his eyes and took a deep breath. He’d always loved wolves so of course he would dream of them, Sam told himself as he tried to make sense of his strange dream. The gag and chains were probably metaphors for his life at home and how his father treated him. Whilst the blue orb and the wolf were supposed to represent how he longed to be free and fight back. It all made sense. It was all rational. Nothing was unusual. Nothing was strange.

However, he had to admit that he felt different. Everything was clearer and sharper; the colours, the birdsong and even his thoughts. It was like he’d been half asleep and only now was he fully awake. Sam threw the covers off and walked to his cupboard, only then remembering what today was.

He shouldn’t have let it slip that his parents would be away for the weekend and he definitely shouldn’t have agreed to the party in his backyard. He should have been happy at the thought of partying with his friends, possibly even the whole grade from the sound of it, but nothing could be further from the truth. All he wanted was a quiet weekend to catch up on his school work where he didn’t have to dodge glass bottles. But obviously that was too much to ask for.

He needed to get out of the house.

Sam threw on a shirt, shorts and shoes before he walked outside and took a deep breath. He staggered as his senses overwhelmed him; his mother’s floral perfume and the candles she placed systematically throughout the house, as well as the forest; oaks, animals and earth. It was intoxicating but disturbing, perhaps that dream had been more than metaphors.

He pushed these thoughts from his mind and sprinted towards the forest. The trees were a blur as he ran faster than he knew he could, but he never came close to hitting them. Sooner than he knew he should have, he had reached his clearing. Marked by a simple tie around a lower hanging tree branch, this small break in the dense trees was Sam’s private refuge from the outside world.

Although others found the forest unsettling, with its dense overhead that blocked out the majority of light and wolf howls within, Sam had always drawn comfort from it and a sense that he was welcome there. Now, as he leaned against a tree with his eyes closed, Sam smiled at the wolf howls deep within the woods. Sometimes he imagined that he could understand what they were saying and that perhaps if he called back they would come to him.

A branch snapped.

Sam froze, he’d never told anyone about this place. He breathed in deeply and listened closely. His shoulders relaxed and he rolled his eyes. “You’re even less stealthy than usual.” There was no reply. This was strange as she never usually pretended once he caught her. He tried yelling louder, “You’re even less stealthy than usual!”

“I thought I was being extra sneaky!” Evidently not, Sam thought as Mel stepped out from the tree line several minutes later. As always she glanced warily back into the forest before walking over to Sam. Why she always had to follow him here despite her obvious fear Sam didn’t know.

Sam crossed his arms and leant against a tree. “Why are you here?”

She shrugged. “I was looking for you. I’m bored, there’s never anything to do in this town.”

“That’s no reason to come irritate me, you have all your sisters and cousins to keep you entertained.”

“I’m not here because you’re good company either.” She sank to the ground, crossing her legs. “I hear you’re having a party.”

That was the last thing Sam wanted to be reminded of, but he smirked and said, “Indeed I am. Are you coming?”

Folding her arms, she growled, “yes, unfortunately. My cousin heard about it, she’s making me go.”

Oh poor you, Sam thought. “Now you’ll just have to come be social with the rest of us.”

She tilted her head up to him, a sly grin on her face that said she was about to say something incredibly annoying. “Yes, how I wish I was as popular and charismatic as you, Sam.”

“Honestly, I’m surprised you don’t. They’re a fun group of people.” As fun as watching paint dry and only half as intelligent.

“’Fun’ is not the word I would use.” She didn’t sound cynical, just amused. “Why are you here, anyway? And how did you hear me from so far away?”

Sam’s casual demeanour slipped as she asked the questions he didn’t want to deal with. “I- uh- I just wanted to get away.” He pulled himself together and smirked again. “And you’re just a heavy-footed klutz is how I heard you.”

Her eyes narrowed. “I was being quieter than usual. I even held my breath.” The words hung there and Sam had no idea how to answer the implied question. But then she sighed. “Would you sit down already? This is awkward.”

Sam rolled his eyes and sighed as he sat down with his back to a tree. "Are you happy now?"

She shifted back, before nodding. “So what time does the party start?”

“Just rock up after eight or so.”

“I suppose I should bring my own drinks?”

“Well I’m definitely not buying anything for you, though you will probably be able to steal things from drunk people.”

She grinned. “True. I’ll just follow Travis around everywhere.” Sam shifted slightly and his knee brushed Mel's. She glanced at him, her eyes wide for a moment before she frowned. "I should probably go. My... uh... my cats need feeding." She stood up quickly. "So I'll see you tonight then." Without waiting a response, she started walking back the way she came.

Sam listened to her footsteps as she left and she definitely was not that loud, something strange was happening to him. He wished she wasn’t coming to the party, Mel was not going to enjoy herself at all and knowing her cousin she would be babysitting all night. However, she could do what she liked for all Sam cared so if she wanted to come then she could. The wolves howled again from within the forest and Sam closed his eyes with a content sigh.

When he reopened them the sky was dark and his clothes were damp. With a curse he stood up, brushed the dirt off himself and took a step towards home… blocking his path was a black wolf. It seemed as shocked as Sam, with its ears flat against its head and whining quietly. Sam stayed perfectly still, curious to see what the wolf would do. It took a tentative step towards Sam, obviously as unsure as him and reached its head towards Sam’s hand.

Sam was torn between wanting to tear his hand away and run home, and wanting to reach forward to touch the wolf’s fur. Instead he stood still as the wolf sniffed him. The whine changed to a short bark, as it jumped and placed its forepaws on Sam’s shoulders. They locked eyes and Sam could swear that the wolf’s held a human intelligence.

He couldn’t help himself from asking, “Who are you?”

The wolf’s paws hit the ground without a sound and started to walk away, but Sam was sure that he heard it say. “Soon, my brother.”

Alex

Alex stood with her hands behind her back and head down, like a soldier before her commander. “I have done as you asked, I have called the Order and set events in motion so they should be arriving within the next few days.

The orb responded with a feeling of pleasure and excitement. The closer the time got, the less the orb was able to communicate through words but its hold on her remained strong. However, if the orbs power continued to diminish she could possibly escape soon and return to Bash.

Don’t get your hopes up.

Why? The Order will be here soon to protect you and my brother needs me more, just let me go!

The orb forced Alex to her knees and filled her mind with images of huge, humanoid beasts and creatures with inhuman screams. “This is why you must stay. The Order is young, many are only just discovering who they are. Yourself included, and you will need each other to survive and protect me.

Alex gritted her teeth and pushed back, managing to regain control of her mind. “I don’t care, I just want to go back to my brother.

She could tell the orb was pleased. “Ah but you see, this is why you are part of my Order. How could I let go of someone with such a powerful control of the mind?” It forced Alex to the ground. “But not powerful enough to overcome me. Now strengthen the calls, I want them here within two days and no more talk of this Sebastian.”

No.” Alex felt nothing from the orb. “I won’t.

The orb laugh and she shuddered, bracing herself. “Didn’t I tell you what would happen if you disobeyed me again?” Alex whimpered before she screamed in agony.

Sam

The party was pretty typical; music was blaring from Zac’s speakers, people drank from red solo cups, others snuck off to drunkenly grope each other and stoners friendlily asked people if they’d like to join them. There was nothing wrong or out of hand, sober people looked after their drunk friends and the stoners were harmless. However, Sam would still have given anything to be somewhere else but he couldn’t run off to his clearing for fear of someone following him or the party moving inside and trashing his house.

Ever since the moon had risen he’d been on edge; twice he’d snapped at his friends and his head pounded from the music. Thankfully they were too drunk, and stupid, to remember that alcohol hardly affected him so they’d believed him when he’d given a fake smile and stumbled around.

If only it would rain. They had all agreed that his house was too small to hold a decent party inside so if necessary they would move to Zac’s covered patio and his parents would just have to deal with it.

Sam kept up his fake smile as he walked around, making sure to ask people if they were alright if they didn’t appear to have someone looked after them. Unsurprisingly, one of those drunken people in need of help was Selina, she was nice enough and had a great body. But he’d only gone out with her to keep his friends off his back and he hadn’t cared too much when she’d dumped him. Sam was sometimes only 90% sure he wasn’t gay.

“Hey, are you alright? You don’t look so good.”

Selina’s face lit up. “Sam!” she cried, dropping her drink and stumbling forward with her arms open. “Time for a hug!”

She fell against him and if Sam hadn’t held her up she would have hit the ground. “I think it’s time you had some water and maybe went to bed.”

She braced her hands on his shoulders and used him as support to stand back up. "I will not go to bed with you!" she slurred, frowning. "Wow, you're really hot."

“I’m gorgeous I know, now come on.” Sam picked her up so one arm was under her knees and she had her arms around him.

"No no no no..." she trailed off for a moment, closing her eyes. One hand came up to caress - or, at least, clumsily stroke - his face. "I mean yes. You are very hot. But you're also... your skin is also warm." She patted his face for emphasis.

Sam moved his head to the side, away from her hand with a low growl. She didn’t know the half of it; his skin felt like it was on fire and his head was pounding so hard he could barely hear her. “Come on, I’m taking you inside.” He walked to the back door and pushed it open with his hip, before taking Selina to the spare room and laying her down on the bed. “Now stay here and sleep it off.”

“Wait, just stay…” She caught his arm, tugging him back. “I miss you.”

Well it certainly beat going back outside, so Sam sat down beside her. “What’s on your mind?”

"You," she instantly responded, and then giggled. A few seconds later, she stopped giggling and her expression grew solemn. It almost looked like there was fear in her eyes. She sat up and anxiously ran a hand through her hair. "I don't - I can't explain it. You're not allowed to know."

Whatever she had to say was going to be drunken nonsense and she was unlikely to remember anything tomorrow, but here was an opportunity to get some things off his chest. Also, something about being around Selina made him feel better, more calm and less irritated. “Well how about I go first and then you tell me?”

Her eyes grew heavy lidded, fogged with drunkenness. "You go first, my precious angel - oh shhhhh!" She covered her hands over her mouth, looking alarmed. "Please don't tell anyone I said that," she whispered.

She was more drunk than Sam had realised. “Well, this morning I had this dream about being shackled down and being surrounded by wolves and I didn’t think it meant anything but then today I felt really strange, like I could hear and smell things so much better and I actually met a wolf who looks exactly like the one in my dream; so I’m either going insane or something really weird is happening to me.” The words came tumbling out of Sam’s mouth and he breathed a sigh of relief at being able to say it.

Selina didn't seem to register what he said. She giggled. "That blew my mind - like this!" She made an explosion sound and gesture. "It's okay Sammy, I've had a weird day as well."

Why had he bothered. “I’m sure, now come on. Put your head on the pillow and go to sleep.”

She nodded. "I like you, Sam. Thanks for looking after me." With her eyes closed, she seemed to fall instantly to sleep.

Well that was easier than Sam had thought, he tiptoed out of the room and quietly shut the door before heading back outside. He almost wanted to go back to the room as the further he walked the more the fire and pounding increased. When he opened the back door and walked back outside the pain was so intense that his face was contorted into an ugly snarl.

“Eeeehhhhh Saaammmyyyy!” One of the guys yelled out as he came back outside. Oh great, now he’d have to deal with people thinking he’d had sex with Selina. He gave an awkward wave in their direction as they all continued cheering and laughing.

Why couldn’t it have rained?

With that thought a drop fell on Sam’s cheek and there was a crack of thunder and lightning. He could have danced for joy but all he did was yell. “Party’s moving to Zac’s house!” Several people cheered, whilst others squealed as they covered their hair from the rain and Sam was giddy with joy as he sprinted inside. Now he could try and relax.

The back door slammed open, and Mel quickly slipped inside, her hood up and her dark hair glistening with the first drops of rain. “No offense Sam, but this is a pretty shitty party.”

The moment of happiness crumbled away and he fought to contain a growl as he tried to keep his voice neutral. "Mel, when I say that the party is moving somewhere else this also means that everyone, including you, has to leave."

She raised her head, looking indignant. Her hood fell back, revealing more of her face. "Fine, sorry to intrude on your little pity party. Or maybe you just wanted some alone time with Selina." She sounded almost accusatory.

"Now you're just being pathetic."

She narrowed her eyes. “And you’re still a bastard, same as always.”

Sam's clenched his fists, drawing blood, and his voice sounded barely human as he snarled. "What did you just call me?"

“Hey, you started it.” Her words strong, but she took a step back, her gaze faltering as she glanced at his fists.

His vision was a haze of red as he took another step towards her. He was growling softly but he hardly noticed in his rage. She took another step back, he could smell her fear, and an even more powerful feeling than his rage overwhelmed him; excitement. Her fear, her backing away, it all fuelled a predatory instinct in him that wanted to chase, to kill and to feed.

She stopped and raised her head. “What do you think you’re doing?” It sounded like she meant it to be a threat, but her voice quivered. She turned and ran for the door, but he pulled her back before she could get near it.

Sam’s hands pinned her arms above her head and his body pressed against hers. Nose to nose with his lips brushing hers Sam breathed deeply to try and regain control. She was quiet, but her hands struggled to be free and he snarled in response.

“Don’t move!” Sam breathed deeply, trying to quell the intoxicating mixture of anger, excitement and fear, both her own and his. He breathed her familiar scent; herbs and flower, but now it was far stronger. “Melanie West, I never knew you smelt this good.” Sam couldn’t believe he’d just said that.

He also couldn’t believe she kissed him, slowly and lightly, as though she wanted to savour the moment. Her hands relaxed and Sam released her arms as he no longer thought she would try to run. He almost wished she would try but as she wound her arms around his neck and through his hair, he growled deep in his throat.

He pulled away, gasping for air as his human-self tried to process what was happening. He could hardly stand Mel, this was practically sexual-assault and more so, all he could think about was killing her. However, a more powerful and animalistic voice saw nothing wrong with the situation and revelled in Melanie’s fearful lust. All that he could do though was growl as he kissed down her neck, his excitement escalating as she tilted her head to reveal more of her skin. He stopped halfway down her throat as he was now captivated by something other than her scent. He could feel her heartbeat racing against his lips. She was breathing heavily and this only made the blood pounding in his ears worse.

“Ow! What the hell?” Her body tensed as Sam’s breathing stopped and his body stilled, as though preparing to pounce.

Blood trailed from a bite wound on her neck. He’d missed her jugular. Sam’s human-self was thankful but the animal was angry that it was being denied a decent meal. The animal couldn’t look away from the scarlet that had run an inch below her collar bone. Melanie trembled and the animal grinned. Sam pressed his lips to her skin and tasted the blood. Though it had no particular taste, the effect was intoxicating and only left Sam needing more.

He vaguely noticed Melanie hissing something, but the animal was too enthralled by the effects of her blood to register what she was saying. Sam tried to suck from her neck but he couldn’t get enough blood to bother continuing. Instead he allowed it to drip to her collarbone before lapping it up with a growl.

The animal was tired of this, it wanted more. It wanted to kill and warm flesh to tear and devour. It pulled back from her neck and forced her head up so he could look into her eyes once more, wanting to see them clouded with fear before it attacked.

“Look at me!” Sam could barely understand the words that came from his mouth they were so mangled by the animal’s snarl.

Her deadpan expression changed, confusing the animal. She smirked, and looked up at him with a powerful expression in her eyes, tilting her head to the side despite his hands forcing her chin up. “Killer party, Sam,” she said in a low voice. Her hands unwound from his neck and in one swift move she shoved him off her. He crashed into the other wall, but managed to keep his balance.

The animal hadn’t been expecting a fight from its prey but it gave a pleased growl at the prospect. Hanging back it waited for Melanie to attack again. She stepped towards him and raised her hand in front of her, marvelling at something Sam couldn’t see. She made a waving movement and all of a sudden Sam was struck to the ground by something unknown. He landed on all fours and heard her say, “Sorry, but I don’t do vampires.” She struck him again, but he quickly recovered.

Still on all fours, Sam sprang at her and knocked her to the ground. He snarled as she swiped at him with her nails, though it left little mark, and snapped at her. She was barely avoiding his teeth as his prey pushed against his shoulders and eventually managed to push him off. Sam could lift more than his own weight at the gym, his prey shouldn’t have that kind of strength; there was something strange about her. He felt the animal recede to whatever dark corner of his mind it lived in, not willing to fight something it didn’t understand and Sam gasped as though he hadn’t breathed for several minutes.

He dropped to his knees and held his stomach as he was able to breath more deeply and steadily. Finally he looked up at Mel, she was clutching the wall as though breathing for her was just as hard and although Sam wanted answers, now was not the time to ask. “Le-ave.” Words felt strange in his mouth, as though his tongue was too big but he managed to say. “Y-ou need to le-ave.”

She didn’t meet his eyes as she nodded, making a slight choking sound. Before he could say anything else, she turned and ran out the door.