Status: Hope you enjoy ♥

To the Death

Chapter 15

Dean sat on the coffee table next to the sofa, watching Kacey sleep and thinking. He couldn't lose her, but the research they had doing had been for nothing and they were no closer to finding a way to help her. Running his hand over his face, he watched the rise and fall of Kacey's chest; her breathing had become shallow… her sleep restless but she was hanging on.

"Dean?" Kacey whispered, causing Dean’s head to snap up.

"Hey, I'm right here," Dean replied softly.

"How long was I out?" Kacey asked, trying to push herself up but Dean was quick to stop her.

"Relax, you've been out for about a day," Dean said, sitting on the sofa beside her, "How are you feeling?"

"Everything hurts, and my head feels fuzzy."

"You just need to hold on for us okay?"

"I'm tired," Kacey mumbled, trying her hardest to keep her eyes open.

"Go to sleep, you need to rest."

Dean watched as Kacey's eyelids flutter closed, feeling her hand close around his and giving it a gentle squeeze. Leaning over to kiss her head, he realised that Sam was standing in the doorway and made his way over to him.

"How is she?" Sam inquired, as Dean leant against the doorframe opposite him.

"Tired, but she's fighting," Dean mumbled, ignoring the dread in his stomach.

"Good, we'll find a way to help her Dean… there has to be a way."

"I hope so… Sam, back in the car you asked me if I loved her and I denied it. I lied… I love her more than anything, but it scares me and I don't want to miss my opportunity to tell her how I feel."

"Dean, I think she already knows and it's okay to be scared… when I first realised that I loved Jess I was terrified, but it is worth it in the end… she makes you happy Dean and you deserve that."

"I'll tell her when she wakes up, not that I know what to say… I should have done this sooner and now it could be the last thing I say to her."

"You can't think like that Dean, we always find a way… we'll stop this and we will protect her from
whatever else comes for her," Sam promised.

Dean’s head snapped up, as Kacey began thrashing around and talking in her sleep. He rushed to her side placing his hand firmly on her shoulders to restrain her.

"Kacey," Dean said, trying to wake her up, "Kacey, come on."

"Dean," Kacey gasped as she woke up; tears streaming down her face.

"I’ve got you," Dean whispered, pulling her into his arms carefully.

"I saw it," Kacey mumbled, as she laid her head against Dean's chest.

"Saw what?" Dean asked.

"Hell… I saw hell… that's where I'm going."

"You're not going to hell Kace."

"I saw it Dean, I f-felt it… the darkness and the heat… constant feelings of shame, regret, contempt… fear. I'm being punished. I'm being sent to my final place to be tormented and played with… I'll be just like the things we hunt."

"Listen to me, you're not going to hell on my watch. I need to tell you something and I don't want you to freak out okay?"

"What is it?"

"I…," Dean began but was interrupted by Bobby.

"Dean, we need you to come take a look at something… it's important."

"I'll be there in a minute," Dean replied and Bobby nodded leaving them to it.

"Go… this can wait until after," Kacey stated moving off of Dean's lap with a groan.
Dean stood up, walking towards the door, before stopping and turning back.

"Kacey?" Dean said, waiting for her to look at him before continuing, "I love you."
Kacey smiled, fighting back the tears that threatened to fall and Dean smiled back.

"I love you too, superman," Kacey replied and Dean chuckled before leaving.

Dean joined Bobby and Sam in the other room, where they were leaning over a pile of books to look at a map.

"What's going on?" Dean inquired as he took his place at his brother's side.

"We might have a solution, but it's a long shot and it's going to take an open mind," Bobby explained.

"If it will help Kacey, then I'm willing to try anything."

"There's been several reports of people claiming to be in contact with angels, at first I thought that it was just talk, but then Gareth Moore reported seeing one with his own eyes and that is good enough for me."

"Where abouts?"

"An hour away from here, it's a small town… according to reports the angel's are seen by those on the brink of death," Bobby added.

"So we'll take Kacey with us, see if they can help… assuming they are real and not the figment of a crazy persons imagination," Dean said, earning a nod from Sam.

Dean returned to where Kacey was sleeping, although restlessly and he gently shook her. It took her a little while to open her eyes, but when she did Dean smiled crouching beside her and stroking her cheek gently.

"What's going on?" Kacey mumbled.

"We have a lead, me, you and Sam are going on a short trip," Dean replied.

"Help me up."

Dean helped her sit up carefully, before pulling her to her feet and taking her weight. He helped her to the Impala, getting her settled in the back seat before returning to the house and getting Sam. It wasn't long before they were on the road; Kacey was lying across the back seat and aching all over.

"Dean?" Kacey groaned as the pain intensified.

"Yeah?" Dean replied glancing back.

"How long until we get there?" Kacey mumbled.

"Not long, are you okay?"

"Yeah can't stop shaking."

"Dean, she's burning up," Sam added as he leaned over the seat and placed his hand against Kacey's head.

"Hang in there Kace, we'll be there soon."

Kacey groaned in response, fidgeting in the seat but unable to get comfortable or breath easily. The sudden feeling of her chest being crushed made her gasp for air, causing Dean to skid to a stop and jump out. He opened the door nearest her head, crouching down and smoothing her hair looking concerned.

"Sam, you drive from here," Dean said, lifting Kacey's head and sliding in the backseat, "It's going to be okay… take it easy."

Sam watched Dean for a few minutes, as he whispered in Kacey's ear to comfort her and then climbed into the driver's seat heading off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy reading guys ♥ One more chapter to go on this story :)