Status: Hope you enjoy ♥

To the Death

Chapter 3

Half an hour later Kacey pulled up outside the address that Dean had gotten from the magic shop. During the drive over there, they had come up with a couple of plans in case the first was a bust. Following the boys as they got out the truck, Kacey placed her gun in the back of her trousers and rested against the bonnet.

The plan was pretty simple; Sam would go in as an undercover cop, whilst inside he would take a look around and see what he could find. If he found anything he would then return to Kacey and Dean, who would join him in destroying what they needed to. Sam had volunteered to destroy everything himself, but Dean had protested in case Mrs Newton tried anything.

Kacey had to respect Dean for trying to protect his brother; she didn't have to worry about that, being an only child but she could understand where he was coming from. Standing in silence Kacey watched as Sam went in, Dean’s expression filled with concern as his little brother was let inside, and disappeared from view.

"So how did you get into hunting?" Dean asked breaking the silence.

"My dad's a hunter, as were his brother and dad, so it's kind of the family business. I guess my family pulled me into it, and I haven't been able to get out. What about you and Sam?"

"We've been hunting for as long as I can remember; our mum died when I was four, Sammy was only a baby at the time. After that our dad went off the rails, started teaching us the ways of a hunter and we’ve been doing it ever since," Dean replied.

"You and Sam seem close?"

"Since we was young it's always been me and him, dad would leave us with our uncle Bobby or at a motel somewhere and go off to hunt. Then Sam went off to college which put us on bad terms, but his back and we're doing okay," Dean said.

"What about your dad?" Kacey inquired.

"His off hunting, he'll send us co ordinates for jobs but other than that he stays clear. What about your parents?"

"My mum left us when I was fifteen, just up and left with no warning. My dad still hunts but he also stays away, I think I remind him too much of her which I can understand, he calls and emails when he can. How old are you and Sam anyway?"

"Sam's twenty two and I'm twenty six, what about you?"

"Wow so you've been hunting for a while then, I'm twenty one and I've only been hunting for three years."

"We've been in this job too long in my opinion but what can we do, it's not like the demons are going to all of a sudden stop causing havoc."

It was after Dean said this, that Kacey heard a low guttural snarl from behind them. She took a sideways glance at Dean, who had his hand firmly placed on his gun as was hers on her own. Basic hunter's instincts, Kacey thought to herself as Dean counted to three on his fingers and they both spun round, pulling their weapons up to… nothing.

Whatever had made that sound was nowhere to be seen, but Kacey knew it had been close; she looked over at Dean who shrugged and they both jumped as Sam rejoined them.

"Everything okay?" he asked frowning.

"Yeah," Dean replied still looking around.

"So, what's your verdict?" Kacey asked getting back to the case.

"Well Mrs Newton is a very sweet seventy-two year old woman who loves cats. There was no altar, no weird symbols, no strange books, just lots and lots of cats."

"Okay so Mrs Newton isn't our witch. That only leaves us with the shady shop keeper," Dean added.

"Well, it's possible she used Mrs Newton as a cover up, in case anyone came looking. Everything links back to her though, so she's either covering for herself or she's covering for the real culprit," Kacey suggested.

"I think it's time we pay shady shop lady a visit, maybe she will be more willing to co-operate if she thinks we're onto her," Sam said.

Kacey and Dean agreed as they all got back into the truck and Kacey drove them back to the magic shop, which was now closed. It looked eerie with all the lights off inside; something about it sent chills up Kacey's spine, as she peered through the window.

"It's a bit early to be closed up for the day," Dean mumbled.

"Should we perhaps try the back?" Sam suggested.

"You and Dean go check round the back of the shop; I'll wait here in case Shady lady comes back," Kacey added standing by the truck.

The boys headed off down an alley, which led behind the shops leaving Kacey alone. She didn't know why but her hunter's intuition was telling her that something was wrong, the whole case was strange but right at that moment, standing out the closed shop, something was screaming at her.

She was suddenly aware of everything around her, glancing up at the shops double paned display windows, her eyes widened in horror as she saw two large red eyes reflected in the glass. Her hand automatically moved to the grip of her gun, which was as always tucked in the back of her trousers. Her focus was now on the huge, grey wolf that had materialised right next to her.

Trying to not make any sudden movements, she slid her gun from its place in the waistband of her trousers, taking a deep breath before spinning around. She pulled the gun up as she turned, coming to a stop with the gun pointed where the wolf's head would have been, but just like before it was gone.

Kacey looked around for any sign of the wolf's presence, but as before there was nothing. Everything around her was as it had been, as if it was all in her head, that's when Sam and Dean rejoined her, frowning when they saw her gun drawn.

"What happened?" Dean asked sounding concerned.

"I saw the wolf, its reflection anyway, in the window of the shop but just like before there was nothing when I turned to face it."

"Something is playing with our heads; we should head back to the motel and regroup, we can pick things up again in the morning," Dean said.

"We should probably stick together," Sam suggested as Dean and Kacey got in the SUV.

They decided that they would stay in Kacey's room, since that was where all their research was. When they arrived back at the motel Kacey ordered some food and handed them both some beer. An hour later, all three of them were sat eating, whilst still trying to gather information on the shady shop lady, and it was late when they finally decided to call it a night.