Status: Hope you enjoy ♥

To the Death

Chapter 6

Kacey sat alone reading through a heap of old books, trying to find out anything she could on the impending war, but as far as she could tell there was nothing documented. They had no leads, no ideas about what they were to face; they were jumping in blind and coming up empty-handed. She sighed, slamming yet another book shut, and placed her head upon the table.

"Don't give up yet, we'll find something," Dean said from behind her placing his hands on her shoulders.

"My dad used to tell me the same thing all the time, he'd say 'success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts', obviously in this case failure will be fatal but you the rest still stands, you know," Kacey replied.

"As hunters giving up is not an option, people's lives depend on us… if we give up, we're leaving these people defenseless against whatever is coming," Dean added.

"Do you believe in destiny?" Kacey asked as Dean sat in the seat beside her.

"Some I guess, why do you ask?" Dean replied pulling a book towards him and looking over at Kacey who looked down at the table.

"My dad and uncle used to tell me that it was my destiny to become a hunter, and that I was suppose to do bigger things in the supernatural world... I just have a strange feeling that this is what they meant."

"You know what I believe... I believe that we all make our own destinies, sure some may be laid out for us, but for the most part it's our own decisions that mold our future," Dean added taking her hand as he opened the book and began to read.

Dean smiled as Kacey grabbed another book, rolling her eyes and then Sam joined them causing Dean to let go of Kacey's hand, coughing uncomfortably and continued researching.

"We need supplies," Sam said opening and shutting the empty fridge.

"You know what, me and Kacey will go," Dean replied quickly.

Sam smirked as Dean grabbed Kacey's arm and pulled her out the door to the Impala. They drove into town, picking up the supplies that they needed at Bobby's then instead of heading straight back, Dean pulled over to the side of the road and got out.

Kacey frowned, getting out and joining him; what she saw before her made her pause in awe, staring at the magical view that met her gaze. The sun drowned into the horizon, causing the sky to be painted with an array of pink, orange and yellow. The clouds were painted with mystical colours, there outlines seeming to glow silver as the sun sank deeper into the ground.

Dean walked up behind her, snaking his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. Kacey looked at him and smiled, she knew the feelings they had for one another were dangerous, especially with what they did, but they both knew the risks involved and she felt stronger with Dean and Sam around her.

She leant back against him and watched as the sun disappeared and the moon took its rightful place as king of the night sky. Kacey shivered as a cold breeze blew through, taking her off guard.

"Come on let's get back," Dean said, leading her back to the car.
Kacey got in, feeling the warmth of the car surround her and she smiled once again as Dean joined her.

"What?" Dean asked frowning slightly.

"Nothing, it's just you're the first guy whose ever taken me to watch a sunset is all," Kacey replied.

"Good, but can we keep it between us, Sam will torture me if he ever finds out?"

"I think we can manage that," Kacey added with a grin.

Dean drove them back to Bobby's and they both got out, grabbing the bags out the back and heading inside laughing, Dean froze as they spotted Sam sitting with another man Kacey didn't recognize.

"Dad," Dean said.

"Dean," his dad replied.

"What are you doing here... Is everything okay?" Dean asked glancing at Sam who looked angry.

"I'm going to leave you guys to talk," Kacey added as their dad glared at her.

"No Kacey stay," Sam replied earning a nod from Kacey who looked over at Dean concerned.

"Kacey this is our dad John, dad this is Kacey… she's been helping us out," Dean mumbled still looking at his dad.

"It's great that you want to help, but you won't be needed any more, we can handle this without you," John Barked abruptly.

"Of course, I'll just go get my stuff," Kacey replied moving towards the kitchen where her things were still sat.

As she reached the kitchen Bobby walked in, ignoring John and walking over to Kacey who watched him closely.

"Put your things in one of the rooms upstairs, you're welcome to stay and help me for as long as you like... John this is still my house and we need all the help we can get," Bobby added turning to John who looked less than impressed.

Kacey went up to one of the rooms and placed her stuff by the window, closing the door behind her and sitting down on the bed. A sudden headache had hit her, but it didn't feel like any headache she had ever had before. She closed her eyes, massaging her temple but that didn't seem to work, then someone knocked on her door and Dean walked in.

"Hey," he said closing the door.

"Hey," Kacey replied unsure how to react.

"I'm sorry about my dad, he doesn't trust other hunters very much," Dean added.

"It's fine, don't worry about it."

"I should have stuck up for you, but…," Dean mumbled cutting his sentence off half way.

"Dean, he's your dad... I totally understand, family always comes first no matter what," Kacey said smiling at him, "Besides, at the moment our priority is the upcoming war that we know nothing about."

Dean nodded in agreement, but Kacey could tell that he didn't agree. He was extremely guarded, especially when it came to his feelings but Kacey could read him like an open book, and she didn't know why. They stood in silence for a few moments, before John's voice boomed through the old house, causing Kacey to jump slightly.

"I better get back down there," Dean added quickly.

"Go... Just remember I'm here if you need me."

Dean smiled, and then left the room glancing back one last time as he closed the door. Kacey picked up her duffel bag and took out a small leather-bound book, which had been given to her by her dad. She opened it, flicking through the pages until she came across a page she had never read before, and it would definitely help.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading guys ♥