Status: Hope you enjoy ♥

To the Death

Chapter 8

Kacey pulled into Bobby’s salvage yard, parking her truck next to Dean’s Impala, and climbing out. Things seemed quiet from the outside, peaceful almost but there was no missing the tension, which had settled in the atmosphere upon John’s arrival.

Heading inside, Kacey went straight up to her room, too tired and sore to deal with another confrontation, especially with John. Looking in the mirror, Kacey took in the damage and examined the large cut above her right eye, which she had received as a result of her encounter with the tree.

Tony had already cleaned it up and made sure that it wasn’t life threatening, but she knew without a doubt that it was going to leave behind a scar. A knock at her bedroom door made her jump slightly, bringing her out of her daydream and back to reality.

"Come in," she said.

The door opened to reveal Dean looking tired and angry, but at what she wasn't too sure. He gave her a weak smile, closing the door behind him and sitting on the edge of her bed.

"How did your hunt go?" He asked.

"It went fine… the Wendigo is history, and we got it done a lot quicker than I expected," Kacey replied sitting down next to him.

"What happened to your head?" He added.

"A tree attacked me," Kacey replied causing Dean to frown, "The Wendigo sent me flying… It's been cleaned up and should start to heal in a few days."

"As long as you're okay," Dean mumbled looking down at the floor.

"What's up with you?" Kacey inquired, "You look like you've been up all night."

"That's because I have… my dad decided that we needed to do more research, So we stayed up all night going through the same books, which we've already been through multiple times, to find nothing," Dean said looking at Kacey, "It's like this war doesn't exist, and it's getting closer to D-Day, and we have nothing to go on."

"We'll find what we need, but if I'm honest I don't think we're going to find the answers sitting here. We need to be out on the road, working jobs and seeing what the demons know; books won't help us this time," Kacey stated getting up.

"You're right, and I've said this but my dad won't listen, even Sam and Bobby agree. I don't know what to do," Dean replied moving to stand behind her.

They both looked at their reflections in the mirror, equally exhausted in appearance. Dean put his arms around her, and she leaned back into him, the sudden feeling of warmth that she had felt before flared through her body, making her smile on the inside.

"You and Sam should stay with your dad, it's where you belong… I, however, will be more help out there hunting; your dad doesn't trust me which is dangerous for everyone."

"I don't want you out there on your own, not when we have no idea what's coming," Dean added forcefully.

"Dean, I've been hunting for a long time, I can look after myself," Kacey replied softly.

"I can't just sit here, while you're out there hunting, but I can't just leave either… please give me a few more days. Time to try to figure out what we're up against, then if we still haven't found anything, me, you and Sam will hit the road," Dean pleaded.

"Okay, a few days but that's it, we need to be out there getting the information directly from the things we're supposed to be fighting. I don't know about you, but that's where I belong," Kacey stated turning in his arms and looking up into his hazel green eyes.

"I feel the same way, but this way is safer and besides, there are no guarantee's that the demons we'll come up against will know anything," Dean replied pulling her closer and placing his lips gently upon hers.

This took Kacey off guard, and so it was a few moments before she reacted, kissing him back. Dean pulled away, smiling at her and kissing her again briefly, tightening his grip around her waist and pulling her into his chest, where she heard the steady beat of his heart.

They stood like this for a little while, until his dads voice once again ruined the moment. Kacey heard Dean sigh, before kissing her head, and letting her go.

"Come with me, you can help us with the research," He said taking her hand and entwining their fingers.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Kacey asked holding him back before he could make his way towards the door.

"It'll be fine, I've got your back," Dean replied with a grin.

Kacey nodded, and they headed downstairs, where Sam was already angrily flicking through some dust-covered books. Dean let go of her hand, as Kacey made her way over, kissing Sam on the cheek and sitting down.

Kacey smiled at Sam, before glancing over at Dean, and pulling one of the books towards her; opening it. Dust filled the air around her, attacking her throat, and causing her to cough much to Dean's amusement.

"Not funny," Kacey choked, "How old are these books?"

"Two hundred years old apparently, I've had that book in my collection for about twenty years. Why do you ask?" Bobby replied watching her closely as she cleaned off the cover, recognising the insignia on the front.

"I've seen that insignia before," Kacey mumbled.

"Does it mean anything?" Sam added looking at her.

"To most people no, but to me it means everything… It's my family crest."

"Wait you have a family crest," Dean asked.

"I'm guessing your dad told you the stories about the first hunters?" Kacey said looking from Sam to Dean and then to Bobby.

"The Lawson family from Connecticut… of course, they are legends, " Dean replied.

"Yeah, except they were really from Lawrence, Kansas and their blood line is still around today… hidden but more in sight than anyone knows."

"You mean their blood line didn't die out, I've heard rumours of their powers, but I always believed that that was all they were… rumours," Bobby stated staring at Kacey.

"The Lawson's have two remaining family members, both of which are hunters.”

"What does the insignia mean?" John asked from behind them his voice low and threatening.

"The star represents the hunter bringing a shimmer of hope, the rams head represents the demons, ritualistic and evil, and the circle that surrounds them, means destiny… my destiny," Kacey explained, whispering the last part but Dean heard her and his eyes snapped towards her.

"What relevance does that have to what we are researching?" John barked.

"A destiny is something set in your future, if anyone knew the outcome it would be the Lawson’s, and they would have documented it," Kacey replied turning to look at John, "You know, your son brought me here to help… I don’t really care what issues you have with other hunters, but watch how you speak to me… I am not some little girl you can push around, and you’re not in charge here."

Dean, Bobby and Sam stood in silence; their mouths open just a little, shocked by Kacey’s outburst. The tension was thick as John stared at her, his eyes angry and dark, as though evil had touched his blood and made him bitter.

"My son made a mistake bringing you here, this war is no place for a disobedient brat, and it certainly isn't the place for a Haywood," John spat.

Kacey clenched her fists, about to make a move but Dean placed his hand on her shoulder, and she took a few steps back towards Sam who was glaring at his dad.

"I am not a Haywood, I'm a Lawson," Kacey said calmly before walking outside with the book and sitting on the porch steps.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy reading guys ♥