Status: Hope you enjoy ♥

To the Death

Chapter 9

Kacey opened the book reading the small print on the first page, which read, 'In destiny we believe, only through true courage, can we succeed' and turned the page reading the first paragraph:

'The continual roar of the raging fire, seemed to grow stronger and louder as we made our way through the house. Pictures that hung on the wall quickly burnt away, and the furniture looked like torches scattered around the room. I can still remember the feeling in my throat, as I breathed in the dust and smoke like a razor blade, everything is still so vivid. Me and my brother were the only survivors, but from that day we vowed vengeance upon the demons, and so the hunters were born'

Everything seemed familiar to Kacey, the calligraphic writing, the words; even the dusty old book sparked something deep within her mind. She found her eyes focusing on every single word, soaking it all in, taking her to her own little word, which meant that she didn't notice Dean join her until he spoke.

"No one has ever spoken to my dad like that and walked away unscathed."

"Lucky me," Kacey replied jumping slightly as his voice pulled her back to reality.

"What's wrong?" Dean asked placing his hand over the pages that she had been reading and forcing her to look at him.

"A lot of stuff actually, one being your dad thinking that he knows me, when he doesn't know a damn thing," Kacey said anger rising through her, "Everybody judges me because of who my mother is, but if they knew the truth they would see just how wrong they are."

"Maybe you should tell people then, because they won't know if you don't tell them."

"Perhaps people should quit judging me based on who gave birth to me, and judge me on my hunting ability and who I am," Kacey snapped pulling the book out from under Dean's hands and continuing to read.

"She really presses your buttons, huh?" Dean said placing his hand at the bottom of her back.

"I'm sorry, she's just done so much… that even the mention of her gets under my skin, and all I feel is this uncontrollable anger towards her," Kacey mumbled looking at Dean apologetically.

"I totally understand that you hate her, and I get that you don't like being compared to her, but you have to let it go some time… I'm not saying forgive her, just move on because anger like you have is dangerous in this game, and I don't want you getting hurt," Dean replied moving his arm up to rest across her shoulders, and pulling her closer to him, kissing her head.

Kacey laid her head on Dean's shoulder, and smiled… this was a side of him that was rarely shown, but it was a side she liked. They sat like that for a while, looking through the book, seeing whether anything written matched up with what was happening, and it wasn’t long before Kacey found something.

"Listen to this, 'on the night of the full moon, a day before darkness canvases the land, an army will rise and bow before their leader…'" Kacey read to Dean who looked over her shoulder curiously.

"What else does it say?" He asked as Sam joined them sitting next to Kacey with his laptop.

"It talks about a war to end all wars, an ultimate battle between good and evil," Kacey said skimming her finger across the page.

"That fits with what we know, when’s the next full moon?" Dean inquired looking at Sam who was already tapping away at the keys.

"Next week, and get this it falls the night before an eclipse," Sam replied.

"If we're right then they are going to use the eclipse to their advantage, attack during darkness and no one will stand a chance," Kacey added.

"Can I read through this, and see if I can pull any other information from it?" Sam asked.

"Knock yourself out, I have something I need to go do anyway," Kacey said handing him the book and standing up.

"What you got to do?" Dean asked doing the same as Sam wandered back into the house.

"I just need to go somewhere is all; I'll be three hours tops."

"Kacey wait… we may have just got the break we needed, and now you're taking off," Dean marvelled.

"Dean, you have to trust me because if you don't, then I don't even know why I'm still here," Kacey stated turning to look at him.

"I do trust you, you know I do… but why go now?" Dean inquired cautiously.

"If I don't, then I may not get the chance and this trip could really help us," Kacey said taking his hands.

"At least let me come with you, just in case you run into trouble," Dean suggested.

"Fine, but just so you know, this doesn't support the claim that you trust me," Kacey added getting in the truck followed by a hurt looking Dean.

Dean just looked at her, as they left the salvage yard, and headed into town. They drove for about forty-five minutes, before Kacey pulled up to a house, and got out. She looked up at the two-story structure, which held many good memories, and then glanced at Dean who had taken her hand.
Walking up to the front door, Kacey let herself in and beckoned Dean to follow her. The smell hit her straight away, causing her whole body to go on alert; she pulled her gun from the back of her trousers, and moved forward into the kitchen.

"Ethan? Maggie, are you here?" Kacey called out knowing that a demon would already have sensed their presence.

Kacey froze when she spotted blood smears on the wall in front of her; she glanced over at Dean who nodded, and pulled his gun ready. With scenarios of what she was about to find running through her mind, Kacey made her way slowly towards the basement door and instantly spotted the blood, which was on the door handle.

She quietly turned the handle, heading down the narrow stairs, which were already lit up by the single bulb hanging from the ceiling; taking a deep breath she turned the corner to find Ethan exorcising a demon. The demon screamed as black smoke erupted from its mouth, and its human host slumped to the ground.

"Kacey, we need to talk," Ethan said heading straight past them and up the stairs pulling a first aid kit from under the sink to patch up a gash on his arm.

"What's going on?" Kacey asked as they joined him and she took the first aid kit laying it out on the table.

"I don't think we should discuss this in mixed company, it's a delicate situation," Ethan added nodding towards Dean.

"His okay… you can trust him," Kacey replied with an encouraging nod.

"If you're sure… that demon I just killed, he was after you… he was a collector."

"So it's started?" Kacey mumbled as Ethan flinched.

"It has and they are not messing around either."

"I'm sorry, for the lost person who are the collectors and why are they after Kacey?" Dean asked looking confused as well as angry.

Kacey looked at Ethan who reluctantly nodded, as if giving Kacey permission to share her story; she glanced over at Dean as she pulled the first stitch through, and began.

"You remember back at Bobby's, I told you that there was another reason I hate my mother?"

"I remember clearly."

"Well that reason is this, when I was a baby a demon approached my mum, offering her a healthy long life. She knew that demons never dealt without there being a price, but she did it anyway… that price was me. The deal was that when I turned twenty-one, demons would be sent to collect their payment, and I guess they've picked now as the right time," Kacey explained.

"Did your mum know that you were the price for her so-called long life?" Dean questioned.

"Yeah she knew, but the truth was she didn't even think that I would make it to twenty-one, because of the job that her and my dad did. When I was fifteen, my mum left leaving nothing behind to track her down, but my dad did anyway and it turns out that my mum had been having a relationship with the demon that offered her the deal. I know this sound messed up, actually it is messed up but now do you understand why I cannot tell anyone?"

"I definitely understand, and I won't repeat it, but Sam and Bobby need to know that there are demons coming after you. We're going to need all the help we can get, what with the battle and everything coming," Dean added. He ran his hand over the back of his neck, glancing over at Kacey who was staring at the floor, moving over to her he lifted her chin with his thumb and looked her straight in the eye, "None of this is your fault, it's your mum that put you in this situation but no one is going to hurt you, you hear me?"

Kacey nodded as he pulled her into a hug and rested his chin on her head… she didn't believe him, demons always got what they were owed and everyone knew that. Truth was as long as she could get them through this battle, then she didn't care what happened to her, people might say that that was stupid but the truth of the matter was that she was tired.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy reading guys ♥