Photo-booth

Photo-booth

Jack let his boyfriend drag him around as he shopped. It was nearing the end of November which meant that everyone was rushing around buying presents. They were only seventeen and neither boy could really afford much but Alex was determined to get something for his parents and their two best friends (he had already bought Jack's present).

"Are we done yet?" Jack complained as he rearranged the grip he had on his bags. He had also bought his presents, except he hadn't found something for Alex yet. He had thought about it and had asked all their friends but he hadn't come up with anything to get the elder.

"Nearly, I still need something for my mum."

"Get her a candle, mums love that shit." A middle aged woman turned and gave Jack a disapproving look, covering a little boy’s ears. He rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to the boy who was close to ripping his shoulder from its socket.

"It's got to be special, Jack!"

"I got my mum a Christmas smelling candle. That's special because you can only use it at Christmas."

Alex halted and turned to Jack, annoyed at the younger boy’s lack of enthusiasm. "Unless you have something helpful to say please shut the fuck up."

Jack flinched at the sharpness in the usually relaxed boy and his hold on his loosened on reflex. "Sorry. I'm just saying that your mum will like whatever you get her, you don't have to stress about it so much."

This didn't seem to calm him however and he let go of Jack's hand completely, glaring at him. "You're a dick, you know that?" He said, flipping him off and storming away towards Lush. Jack bit his lip and slumped his shoulders. If Alex hadn't sounded so serious he would have laughed at the scene.

He contemplated finding somewhere in the food court to wait for Alex but upon realising that actually he was being a little bit of a dick he started walking after him, his long legs carrying him until he caught up. "Hey I'm sorry." He apologised, reaching his hand forward to take Alex's, linking their fingers together securely.

Alex tried pulling his hand away and when he couldn't he turned to glare at the other, nearly tripping over a toddler as he did so. Jack tried not to laugh, he really did. "Fuck off Jack."

Jack blinked but stopped his laughing, sighing when Alex entered the strongly scented store. "Baby I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. I know your mums present has to be special."

Alex busied his hand that wasn't in a death grip with Jack's. "You don't. If you did you wouldn't make fun of me."

Jack resorted to letting go of his hand and instead wrapping both arms around his waist, pulling their bodies together. "I really am sorry."

Alex glanced sideways to see if anyone was looking at them -no one was- and gave Jack a quick peck on the cheek. "Fine, but you're buying me lunch all next week."

Jack was used to that punishment so he didn't bother arguing, "It's what I deserve."

As the pair reached the bottom of the stairs, finally ready to leave the stupid place, Alex spotted a photo-booth and grinned, grabbing Jack's forearm and tugging him towards the machine. It took Jack a second to realise what he was doing but when he did he was immediately pushing away, trying to take his arm back.

"No way Alex I want to go home already!"

Alex pouted up at his boyfriend, "Please Jack, please!" Jack wasn't giving in on this one, Alex could tell, and so he quickly thought of ways that he could make the other do it. A light bulb suddenly lit up and Alex was grinning again. "Do this with me and you don't have to pay for my lunch next week."

Jack sighed heavily, contemplating his options. "Deal."

"Really?" Alex was getting excited, practically bouncing on his heels like a child in a toy store. Jack nodded unhappily. "Thank you! Come on before someone goes in!"

The pair squeezed into the small photo-booth, Alex half sitting in his boyfriends lap on the bright orange plastic stool. "Can I change my mind?" Jack asked in vain as Alex pressed the touch screen computer.

Alex scoffed, "No."

"You're a mean boyfriend." Jack whined, poking Alex's side and making him nearly topple off of his perch.

"And you're a whiny boyfriend." Alex countered, settling himself upright again. "Act like you're happy." Alex instructed as he posed for a picture.

***

Alex had insisted that Jack take the photos (they only had enough money on them for one print of them all) which left him feeling guilty as the whole thing had been Alex's idea. When he got home and realised that he still didn't have a gift for him, however, his mood changed and he grinned.

He eagerly awaited his mother returning home and when she did he took two bags of food from her and dumped them on the kitchen table, smiling sweetly at her the whole time.

"What do you want, Jack?" She asked sternly, raising an eyebrow at her son.

Jack shrunk back shyly and bit his lip. "I need money for Alex's birthday present."

Isobel sighed at her son. "What were you thinking of getting him?"

"We went into a photo-booth before we left -Alex's idea- but only had enough money for one print out. He gave them to me. I was hoping that I could get them printed for him."

Joyce nodded and put her hand out. "Give me the photos; I'll see what I can do."

Jack stood up quickly from his seat at the island and pulled his mother into a right hug. "Thank you." He grinned into her shoulder. "Could you maybe do something else with them too?"

"And what would that be?" She asked suspiciously.

Jack smiled gingerly. "It's only a small thing..."

***

On Christmas Eve Jack went round to Alex's to exchange gifts. He was nervous that it wasn't enough, that it wasn't going to show the other how much he cared for him.

"Why do you look so nervous?" Was the first thing Alex said upon opening the door.

"Happy Christmas Eve to you too," Jack laughed, despite his nerves. "Shall we go to your room?"

Alex nodded and laced their fingers together. "Sure."

"Hi Jack!" Isobel called from the living room as they climbed the stairs.

"Hi Isobel!" Jack called back, pushing at Alex's back to hurry him up. He wanted to get this over with.

"What's the rush?" Alex laughed as he hardly made it to the landing without tripping over.

“Just excited,” Jack brushed him off.

In his room Alex insisted that Jack go first, “I know you’ll like it, that’s why.” He replied when Jack asked why he had to.

Jack opened the envelope addressed to Alex and Alex watched as Jack’s eyes widened as he pulled the tickets from the inside. “No way, no fucking way! Alex!” Jack jumped up from his bed and grabbed Alex’s face between his hands, pulling him in for a kiss until they needed air.

“So you like it?”

“Of course I do! I’ve never seen Blink before!”

Alex grinned, “I know.”

Jack’s face fell when he realised how shitty his present was compared to Alex’s. “Maybe we should wait for you to open yours. It… isn’t quite ready yet.”

“C’mon Jack I see the envelope right there!” Alex whined, pouting at his boyfriend.

“It won’t live up to yours.” He sighed as he took the envelope from his nightstand and handed it over to Alex.

Alex rolled his eyes at the comment and opened the envelope quickly; pulling out the pictures he and Jack had taken in the photo-booth from what felt like a long time ago. “You’re giving me the photos I said you could keep?” Alex questioned, trying not to offend his boyfriend with the question.

“Not quite. Turn it over.” Jack responded quietly.

Alex did as he was told but his features just turned to look even more confused. “Is this signed by Fall Out Boy?”

Jack bit his lip, “Yeah. I’m sorry it’s so lame.”

“Jack this is not lame at all, it’s great- amazing.” Alex pulled Jack into a long hug and when he pulled away Jack was smiling. “Thank you so much, but I’ve got to ask, how did you?”

Jack smirked, “I have people.”

Alex shoved him, though he was grinning. “You’re such a dork.”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this is lame