Status: work in progress

God's Silence

Silence Accompanies

Alara sat quietly, not that she had much choice in that matter, atop the arm of the leather couch in Eric Northman's office in the back of his bar 'Fangatasia'. She watched as he interacted with Sookie, goading her and smirking when he got a rise out of the emotional blonde. His aura had darkness in it, which of course didn't surprise the petite woman at all. Bill and Pam shared the same darkness, it was the color of someone who had taken a life, or lives as she suspected was the case of all three vampires. Thinking about Bill killing innocents to feed his predatory hunger had Sookie stiffening up momentarily as the dark-haired woman's thoughts drifted to her. She quickly shook it off, and Alara mentally apologized for causing her distress, she hadn't meant anything bad by the thought. Bill was a vampire and young vampires do not know how to control their hunger and in older days such a thing wasn't normally practiced, so it is not unreasonable that Bill, as well as Pam and Eric, had killed to survive.

Moving her gaze back to Eric, she watched the colors in his aura swirl around. He was worried, more than he let on to Sookie and Bill, about this Sheriff in Area 9 who had disappeared. She watched a segment of his aura, a rich blue in color which meant loyalty and a soul-deep caring, pulse as he spoke about this missing vampire who was more than twice his age, and twice the vampire he would ever be. Ah, so that is what it was. Alara made sure not to let this thought slip out into Sookie's mind. If Eric wasn't telling her that the vampire he needed to find was his maker then there must have been a good reason.

Sookie had fallen silent after Eric had asked her to help him find this vampire. She gently reached out and caressed the blonde's mind with her own, letting her know that she was there for counsel if it was needed. Would you come with me, Alara? I've missed you all these years, there is so much to catch up on, and I don't trust Eric. He's not telling me everything." Sookie spoke through their mental link.

Alara smiled softly at her words, understanding the woman's worry. He will have to know more about what I can do if he is to see me as useful, Sookie. He knows nothing of me and he is wary, as he is smart to be. He can sense that I am not human, though it is not really a hard thing to pick up on. He needn't know everything, but he should be told a bit about what I can do. I do not believe he will ever let me into his mind to speak with him myself, so you would have to be my voice."

Sookie hummed her understanding. "Okay." she said out loud, making Eric and the other immortals perk up to listen. "I'll help you find this vampire, whoever he is, on three conditions. Only three and no exceptions." She didn't give Eric time to even ask before continuing. "First, I want five thousand dollars. This trip means I am missing a lot of work and I need a new driveway. Second, Bill comes with me. I don't trust you as far as I can throw you and we both know that ain't far at all. Third, I want Alara to come with us. I can read minds but that's all I'm good for. Alara will be able to help me read people and, as she can walk in the daylight unlike some people, she can protect me if things get a little rough while the sun is up."

Eric's eyebrow rose, glacial blue eyes moving to look at the woman who sat atop his couch, swinging her bare legs back and forth in an unassuming manner. She met his gaze bravely, no fear or apprehension in her eyes. "And what exactly is it that you can do?" he asked coldly, wondering not for the first time exactly who and what this woman was.

Sookie rolled her eyes, wondering how the old-as-dirt vampire still had yet to figure it out. "Well one thing she can't do is speak. Alara has been mute for as long as I've known her."

This seemed to peak the older vampire's interest and he leaned forward, placing his elbows on top of his desk. "So she's telepathic then? Like you? Is that how you are talking to each other?" he asked, eyes focused on Sookie since she would be answering for the other woman.

Alara didn't mind, she knew that it was strange for people to look at someone who couldn't speak for themselves. "Alara's form of telepathy is very different from mine, she uses it as a way of communicating. She speaks with her mind but does not see the thoughts of the person she is talking to unless they send her an image or thought." As Sookie spoke, Alara reached out with her mind, gently caressing against the steel wall that was in place around Eric's thoughts. Vampire minds were much better protected than those of humans because they didn't have actual brainwaves. Eric visibly flinched away from the unexpected sensation. "That was her, asking permission into your mind. She will never force her way in, its too painful for both her and the other person. She says vampire minds are much better protected, which is why you felt her presence so much more than a human would."

Eric turned to look at Alara who was watching him casually, again brushing her mind against his. He didn't visibly react this time but she felt him push against her, denying her entry. She nodded, letting him know that she understood he didn't wish her inside his mind. The pressure abated and Eric sat back in his chair. "How else can you be of use? Sookie said you could protect her."

Alara nodded, hopping down from the couch and walking to Sookie's side. Alara turned to Pam, motioning with her hand for the female vampire to come toward them. "She wants you to attack us." Sookie translated as Alara egged the vampire on with a smirk.

"What?! NO!" Bill shouted, quickly moving in front of the two females as Pam crouched. Alara rolled her eyes and waved her hand. Bill slid, against his will, across the floor and out of the way. Eric watched, transfixed, as Pam launched herself at the two humans (relatively speaking).

Nothing happened, and no one was harmed as Pam became suspended in mid-air, held up by nothing but what appeared to be a silvery mist. She hissed in annoyance, fangs fully extended and bared at the small woman who was noiselessly giggling at her.

Eric watched all of this in amusement. "Fine. She can come along. But she stays in my room and if anyone asks, she belongs to me."

Sookie moved to protest but stopped when Alara rested a hand on her arm. Said petite female then moved around the desk to stand in front of Eric, who had leaned forward in his chair to stare directly into her eyes. He allowed her to place her tiny hand against his cheek as she seemed to search for something. Her gaze softened as she looked at him and she smiled before nodding her consent to his claim.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, not sure if this will be the last chapter for today cause I am going to go play Minecraft but we'll see, hope y'all enjoy! Have a good night world!