Status: work in progress

God's Silence

Silence Protected

Alara had fallen asleep in Eric's arms on their way to Hotel Carmilla, so the tall vampire was careful not to wake her as he settled her down in the bed that occupied their hotel room. To keep up appearances with the local vampires that Alara was his human, she was staying in his room, and would now be sharing the room with Godric as well. After Sookie took the time to tuck her in under the plush blankets and searched for a minute within the unconscious woman's thoughts, she and the others went into her and Bill's room to converse.

Bill and Sookie sat together on the loveseat with Jessica standing behind the small couch while Eric, Godric, and Isabelle sat on the couch, Stan standing sentinel in the corner. Everyone was looking to Sookie for answers as Godric spoke what had been worrying all of them since their arrival at the hotel. "There were many vampires and human companions among us tonight, and we will not have been the only ones that noticed what happened when Alara shielded everyone from the blast. Nan Flanagan is coming tomorrow night to discuss the bombing incident and she will want answers. It is in our best interest to come up with our stories now and understand what is needed of each of us before then." Godric glanced over at Stan who stood in the corner watching over them, and the Texan lowered his head submissively. Eric had been sure to fill Godric in on his underlings actions while he had been...away, and to say Godric was unamused would be an understatement. "What are you able to tell us, Sookie?"

The blonde human fidgeted next to Bill, unsure of how much she should be telling them but knowing that the best thing would be to just give them a little information at a time so that she could see what she could leave out for Alara's sake.

"Alara...she isn't human, though I s'pose y'all have figured that much out by now. The first time I met her was just after my parents died, I was maybe eight years old, and she just walked into my backyard, speaking to me with her mind. She helped me control the telepathy. I'd seen the tattoos on her back, and I did know that she had those wings. Alara and I were in New Orleans one day, on a little vacation just for us girls, and we saw...it was a gang fight, she tried to stop it without getting me involved, and a couple of the guys died. It was the first time that I saw her wings.

"Whenever Alara is around death, or is involved in being unable to save a life, that darkness takes her over for a short time. I told you both not to touch her because while the darkness is still present she's...unstable. Her strength is as close to the surface as it can get without it breaking loose. One of the surviving gang members touched her...it...he didn't survive it. She felt so horrible afterward and she cares for both of you. If you had touched her and met your True Deaths, even if it was something she couldn't control, she would have been devastated."

Eric leaned forward, elbows on his knees. "What is she Sookie?"

The blonde shook her head. "Does her title really matter? Angel, I guess, would be the easiest thing for people to understand but its so much more complicated than that because if you call her an Angel then doesn't that mean that God exists and then what does that mean for humans, and vampires? Alara is an immortal being who has been walking this earth for more than a thousand years searching for something that can give her back the memories she knows she is missing, and also her voice. Isn't that enough? I can't say anything else, and it's not a matter of what I know or don't know. I've said as much as I'm comfortable saying without Alara's permission. This is her life and her existence y'all are asking about and you should ask her about it, not me." Sookie stood abruptly from the loveseat she was sharing with Bill. "I'm going to go check on Alara."

Before any of the vampires present could say anything more, the female human left them in silence. Godric looked out the window on the other side of the room. "Sookie is right. What Alara is doesn't matter. She saved many lives today by sacrificing her secrecy for us. We must protect her in return. Nan Flanagan will no doubt want her present at the meeting. "Godric turned his attention to his progeny. "She is claimed as your human, have her sit with you and open your mind to her. If things should go south, we cannot have either of you getting out of control."

Eric opened his mouth to protest, to what Godric wasn't sure, but a raised hand from his maker silenced the Viking. "Alara behaves when she is instructed to behave but if she sees or senses any anger, hostility or stress from us I believe she would retaliate. It will be a stressful situation tomorrow night, to be sure, but we must maintain our composure. Have the link open between you two so that you can soothe each other. I will also allow her into my mind. She is worried that I will be punished for what has happened and the chances of me losing my position as Sheriff of this area are very great, but it is nothing to be too upset over. I have never been one for politics and I was thinking about moving to Louisiana to spend time with you and Pamela. If we keep everyone as calm as we can then we should be able to get through tomorrow's meeting without any sort of problem."

Eric brought up what they had all been thinking. "And if something should go wrong? If Flanagan discovers what Alara can do and tries to apprehend her in the name of the Authority?" Even the thought of such an event taking place had Eric's fangs aching to inflict pain on whoever dared.

Godric sighed. "Alara is a supernatural being, that much is obvious and she is powerful, as we have all seen. If something should happen tomorrow, I have a feeling we will all be witness to much more than we are prepared for from our little one." Eric smirked and almost hoped for the chance to see how fierce the angel in the other room could be. The Viking chuckled as he remembered the look of hatred she had given Stan before putting him on his ass.

Isabelle stood. "We will protect her, just as she has protected us." All of the vampires present nodded in agreement.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait everyone! I've been so busy with Christmas and trying to learn a new language and *deep sigh* things are finally slowing back down so I will be trying to add more to this on a kinda-sorta-regular basis. Thank you for being so patient and I hope you enjoy seeing more about kind of what Alara is!