Status: This will be an ongoing story, updating whenever my schedule allows time for such! No copyright infringements here. I don't know Mr. O'Donoghue or any other non-fictional characters listed. This is for fun, capiche? I hope you all enjoy! And please if you read, leave me a comment! : ]

Thou Shalt Not

chapterf i f t e e n

“Now, hopefully, next Christmas I will have grandchildren to buy for.” Crystal’s mom, Mary, said as she sat on the loveseat straightening out her Christmas sweater. We had done traditional Christmas with dinner and gifts today with Crystal, her parents, Tom, his parents and myself.

I had to say, I felt slightly odd being single during the holidays. I wasn’t single per say but alone nonetheless. I had never had that before. I couldn’t help but to wonder what Colin was doing. The time difference between us made me think he was getting ready for bed but I knew that wouldn’t be the case. He was probably getting ready to go out for a couple pints with his buddies he didn’t get to see often. I spoke to him early this morning but with both of us busy with our families, I hadn’t had a chance to check my phone for any correspondence since.

“Mother,” Crystal scoffed as she tucked her legs underneath her, shuffling through her pamphlet of travel information. Her parents and Tom's parents had gotten her and Tom an all-inclusive week long to Thailand. “Well maybe we can work on that in Thailand.” Tom suggested with a wiggle of his eyebrows. “Edward Thomas Hardy!” Tom’s mother, Annie, scolded her son as she sat with her ankles crossed and her tea on her lap. Crystal and Tom chuckled, sharing a quick peck on the lips.

“I’d hope you wouldn’t use our gift for that. I want children brought into this world the right way.” Mary said, adjusting her pearl earrings hanging from her petite ears. Crystal shared a glance with me and we both rolled our eyes. “Mother, get with the times. Lots of couples have children without being married.” Crystal said and turned the page of her pamphlet, deliberately avoiding her mother’s eye contact. Her mother was one of the most traditional and modest people you'd ever meet. It was hard to believe she had a daughter that was as nontraditional and unmodest like Crystal.

“Not my child.” Mary shrugged and admired her cheesy Christmas manicure with fat, red-cheeked Santas, Christmas trees and ornaments. “Okay, mom.” Crystal agreed, not lifting her eyes off the beaches printed on the travel pamphlet. There was a knock on the door, changing the subject away from babies and marriage… thankfully.

“Who could that be on Christmas? Crystal, did you invite anyone else over?” Mary asked as she perked up. “No. I don’t know who it is.” Crystal shrugged and Crystal’s dad, Jimmy, got up to answer the door. “I’ll get it, Jim.” Tom said and started to stand up from the couch. “No, no. You’ve been a gracious host today. Let me get it. If I can turn away a group of angry Italians, I’m sure I can get rid of a few paparazzi.” Jimmy laughed and headed for the door.

Crystal’s parents were both Irish Catholics and were from New York. There was talk, and or rumors, of Crystal’s father having ties to the Mafia back in The Big Apple. He certainly carried himself with the class and respect of a classic mobster but we didn’t dare ask about it. If he was, cool – I liked having someone with a little power under the belt on my side. It could come in handy someday.

I was comfortable lounging on the empty couch in my yoga pants and oversized sweater playing with the new tablet and matching phone Crystal had gotten me for Christmas. I was in the midst of changing my background on the tablet when Crystal’s father walked back into the living room.

“Lace?” Jimmy asked, his hand rubbing the back of his head. I looked up at him upside down from the arm of the couch. “Someone is here for you…” Jimmy trailed off, stopping beside Crystal who still sat with her nose buried in the beach pamphlet. I rolled my eyes and rolled off the couch. “I swear, it better not be Gunner or I-“ I said as I trekked down the hall but cut myself short when I saw who stood at the door.

“What – what are you doing here?” I asked. “That’s the greeting I get?” Colin laughed. I stepped to him and wrapped my arms him, inhaling his scent. “What are you really doing here? It’s Christmas! Shouldn’t you be with your family?” I asked as I finally let go of him. “I was. I needed to see you. A little late but I'm here.” Colin shrugged like it was no big deal. “How’d you even manage a flight for today?” I asked puzzled. “Ah,” Colin said with a side-swept smile.

“Lacie? Who is it?” Crystal yelled into the hallway. “Well, I guess you’re going to have to meet everyone real quick. I’m sorry. You should have told me you were coming.” I said and grabbed his hand, pulling him through the hall. "It's fine. I figured you'd have family over." Colin agreed behind me.

“Colin?” Crystal asked out loud. “Hey, buddy,” Tom said as he stood up and shook his hand. “Who?” Mary asked. “Mar, this is Colin. He’s my…” I nervously glanced up at Colin. “Um, he’s my-“ I struggled for the word but Colin answered for me. “Her boyfriend.” I looked at Colin and he beamed down at me.

“Boyfriend?” Jimmy scoffed. Hell, he just learned that I broke up with Gunner yesterday! I could imagine what all he was thinking. I ignored Jimmy’s question and went on to introduce everyone.

“The lovely couple enjoying their tea are Tom’s parents, Annie and Edward.” I smiled. “And you’ve already met Jimmy and that pretty little blonde right there is Mary, Crystal’s parents, my second set of parents.” I smiled. “Pleasure to meet you.” Colin bent down to plant a kiss on Mary’s cheek. Mary fanned herself and primped her hair. "Pleasure is mine." Mary purred. "You look like a good boy. I hope so, anyway. Lacie has had far too many escapades with the bad boys." Mary scoffed and I rolled my eyes.

There was a bit of an uncomfortable silence and a lot of stares. “Um, okay, we’ll be back in a little bit.” I said and turned to walk towards the bedroom. “Where are you going?” Jimmy asked. “To my room.” I shrugged. “You think that’s the best idea?” Jimmy asked, his tone deep. “I’m not sixteen anymore.” I laughed and headed for the bedroom. “You might want to put on something a bit nicer, dear. Don’t you think?” Mary called and I stopped. I looked at Colin while I spoke back to Mary. “Why?” I asked and I heard Mary guffaw.

“Mom, if she wants to be relaxed let her.” I heard Crystal say. “Lacie, change.” Mary said and I pulled Colin into the bedroom, suddenly realizing why I needed to change. She'd want me to look at least decent in the pictures that would surely be taken and then sent to the family spread all across the United States.

“I think you look fine.” Colin said and once the door was shut, wrapped his arms around my waist, kissing at the skin of my neck. My skin suddenly aflame. “As much as I want to stay with you the rest of the night in here, we can’t. Tom is proposing to Crystal tonight.” I said quietly. “What? That’s great news!” Colin smiled, rubbing my back, looking down at me softly.

“Why’d you come here? Really?” I asked, running my hands over his shoulders and down his arms. I had already forgot what he felt like. I wanted to hear what was going on in his mind. It wasn't some little trip he took.

“I’m here because miles and an ocean apart are too much. The whole time I saw my friends and my family - it made me happy but I missed you. Every time the phone rang or the door slammed, I was hoping it was you. I know that’s silly. I was tired of going through the motions. You are where I want to be.” Colin smiled and just when I thought my heart couldn’t goo over anymore, he went on.

“Everything just reminded me of my past there and I know that it will for a little while but it was just too much right now. You, my dear, are the future and I couldn’t take another minute not knowing what my future was doing - so I left.” Colin said and brushed my cheek with his thumb. “This isn’t real. I’m going to wake up and I’ll have fallen asleep after the homogeneous Christmas feast we had.” I laughed. “No, you won’t. This is real.” Colin smiled and pressed his lips to mine. His lips slanted softly across mine and I sighed into his mouth.

This, him being here right now, spoke volumes of what he must thought of me and how he must felt about me. He gave up his only time off to be with me instead of his family and his friends. And to be here in California no doubt and not in beautiful Ireland. I couldn’t put into words how happy he made me just being here right now. We had made no plans to see each other again until the new year so he being here now was a great surprise and a great start to the new year, hopefully. I was excited of what was ahead of us.

“I’m sorry. We have a proposal to witness.” I smiled and pulled away. I walked over to my dresser and pulled out a pair of jeans and a more form-fitting sweater. “Do you need to change?” I asked as I pulled the sweatshirt over my head and pulled on the new. “No. I had a layover in Colorado so I changed then.” Colin said as he stood up against the wall and watched me dress.

In a hurry, I slipped off my pants and pulled on my jeans. “I wish you’d just leave those off.” Colin growled lowly. “Later.” I winked and buttoned my jeans.

~*~

“What’s that in the tree?” Tom said as we all sat around the living room, enjoying the company and admiring the beautiful twelve-foot tree with a million twinkling lights. Crystal looked up from her phone, “I don’t know.” She shrugged and looked back down, taking a sip of her Irish creamed coffee. “No, Crys, I see it. What is that?” I asked. Crystal put her phone down and looked back up at the tree. “I swear to Christ if it’s a squirrel, I am kicking all of you out of my house… after you’ve caught the damn thing of course.” Crystal scoffed.

“Crystal! Don’t swear to Christ! It’s his birthday!” Mary scolded her daughter and the rest of us chuckled. “What is it?” Edward asked. Crystal sighed and got up, walking over to the tree. I knew when she saw it because the energy shifted in the room or maybe it was her breath catch in her throat that I heard.

Tom quietly and quickly moved to the floor, kneeling behind her Crystal.

I squeezed Colin's hand in anticipation. I couldn't believe I was witnessing my best friend getting engaged. I was over-the-moon. I was thrilled.

Crystal grabbed the diamond ring off the tree limb and turned around, to be faced with Tom.

He grabbed her hand and slid the ring into his own. “Fuck,” Crystal mumbled. “This better be real and not some joke.” Crystal warned. Tom hesitated for a minute before his father urged him on, “Go on, son, before she knocks the bloody hell out of you.” Edward chuckled.

“Crystal,” Tom started and I squeezed Colin’s hand again.

“I know this isn’t the rose and candlelight proposal that I’m sure you’ve imagined a thousand times since you’ve been a little girl but I honestly couldn’t think of a more joyous occasion than today and surrounded by our family.” Tom took a deep breath and went on,

“I think I have loved you ever since the first day I met you. I knew you were the woman I was going to spend the rest of my life with. It’s without a doubt today that I can say I know it’s true. I love you so much. There is no sun in the sky when you’re not around me, Crystal. You mean everything to me. You are my light, my soul, my breath – everything. Will you do me the honor in being my wife?” Tom asked as he slipped the sparkling diamond onto Crystal’s finger.

With the ring slipped on Crystal’s finger, the tears silently fell down her cheeks and she fell into Tom’s arms. At this point, we all were sitting on the edge of our seats and without a for sure confirmation, we all looked around at each other.

“Well?” Edward asked, exchanging a look with his wife.

“Honey?” Jimmy asked, linking fingers with his wife.

“Is that a yes?” Mary asked, holding her heart.

"I can't take the suspense any longer!" Annie exclaimed.

Crystal pulled away from Tom and looked up at him. “Will you marry me?” Tom asked again, tears now welling in his eyes. “Yes,” Crystal nodded her head. “Yes, I will marry you.” Crystal said and slung her arms around Tom’s neck, pulling his lips down onto hers.

Everyone erupted into cheer and both sets of parents jumped up and pulled both Crystal and Tom into celebratory hugs.

I waited until everyone simmered down before I stood up and congratulated my best friends. “Married? I can’t wait to see this!” I chuckled and pulled Crystal into a hug. “I know, right?” Crystal laughed, wiping away the tears still on her cheeks. Colin congratulated Tom and we all had a celebratory drink before both Crystal and Tom’s parents decided to head out.

Colin and I talked with Crystal and Tom a little bit more before I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was getting a little late. “Look, this is a night you two need to be alone and I’m dying to be alone with him, too.” I giggled as I bumped into Colin, electricity zinging in between us.

“We’ll be down the road.” I said and started for the bedroom to pack a quick bag. “What? No. You don’t have to spend any money on a hotel. This house is plenty big enough for the four of us.” Crystal said, swatting at the idea. “Not for what I want to do,” I called behind me. “I thought the same thing.” Tom chuckled and I heard Crystal smack at his arm.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to get the holidays out of the way! Thank you for reading! =)