Knock Me Down

Preface

Her story:

It was 2:14 a.m when it happened. I know because I was looking down at my phone about to text Liala back about why I left the party early. The light from my phone was bright and I couldn't see much passed it since I was in an alleyway and there weren't any streetlights around. It didn't matter that there weren't any lights around because I knew my way home like the back of my hand. I had abandoned many parties in this area this summer.

Thunk!
Someone ran into me from behind and I didn't have enough time to defend myself before face planting on the cement. Panic shot through me and I froze. "What the-"

"Wallet. Now." A deep voice spoke. I barely had time to fight him off before he shoved me back down and I felt something cold press against my temple. I hadn't been in a situation like this before but I had a very bad feeling that the cold metal against my skin was a gun. I flinched and let out a sob.

"Back pocket." I felt violated as he reached down and took the wallet out from my butt pocket. I looked across the pavement at my cell phone; it was too far out of reach for me to grab it and I thought about the odds of him pulling the trigger before I got to it. They were pretty good odds. I had gone completely numb by now, but could feel myself shaking as he held me down and looked for whatever else he could find in my back pockets. After a few seconds he figured out that the wallet was the only thing he was going to find there and flipped me over. I couldn't see him that well, but my eyes had adjusted to the dark enough to make out the ski mask he was wearing. It terrified me even more that I couldn't identity who my attacker was. I felt his hands grab at my clothes, searching through my pockets and taking off my bracelets. The gun was still at my temple though, and he did all the searching with his left hand. He was left handed; I made a mental note of that. If I made it out of this alive, that was something I could tell the cops at least. I could feel my eyes water, but held back my tears. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry. I had to be strong.

"Don't speak a word of this to anyone or I will find you and I will kill you. I have your ID now, remember that." He kept the gun facing me as he backed away and around the corner firing it into, what I assumed, was nothing. He hadn't hurt me, except when he slammed me against the ground, but he hadn't beaten me up and left me to die or worse, shot me, so I considered myself lucky. Not lucky enough, but lucky to be alive. I didn't know where he was, though I figured he would be long gone by now. I reached over for my phone and dialed 911. I stopped myself before pressing call, immediately panicking as the reality of his words set in. He knew who I was now. He had my ID. I let myself cry a little bit now that he was gone, but stopped long enough to call a taxi to come pick me up. The driver told me he would be there in fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes felt like hours when you were this scared.

His Story:

"Take the gun and do it now or she dies!" I took the gun from him and stared at the girl he held at gun point. I didn't want to do what he wanted me to, but I didn't want him to kill my sister either. It bothered me that I didn't even know his name and that he wouldn't ever give up that information. He was bigger than me and could take me in a fight even without weapons involved and I felt uncomfortably bare and vulnerable knowing that I couldn't do anything to defend myself or Candice. She was staring at me with those big brown eyes of hers, begging me to just do as I was asked. It was hard doing what was morally wrong for the sake of family, but it was also not a hard choice to make either. This is my sister's life on the line.

I turned away from them, praying that Candice would be okay, and looked at my victim. She looked about 5'6, so overpowering her with my 6'1 body wouldn't be hard. There was something very innocent about her as she shoved her hand in the pocket of her black trench coat and pulled out her cellphone, completely unaware of what I was about to do.

I glanced back at Candice and put on the ski mask they gave me before beginning to follow her down the street. I must have been following her for about five minutes before she turned down an alleyway. She was still engaged in her phone conversation and didn't notice me when I ran up behind her and shoved her to the ground. She mumbled something, sounding more confused than anything, but I placed the gun to her temple and cut her off.

"Wallet. Now." I masked my voice with something deeper than I usually sounded. I couldn't believe what I was saying; I couldn't believe what I was doing. I wanted so badly to stop everything, tell her I was sorry and that she doesn't have to be scared because I wouldn't hurt her, but I couldn't. I was supposed to kill her. Telling her that would be a lie.

"Back pocket." Her voice was trembling now and I felt something twist in my stomach. Just keep going. Do you want your sister to die? The voice in my head overpowered everything else. I reached for her pockets and pulled out her wallet, opening it quickly, enough to find out her name before moving on. That was my mistake. As soon as I flipped her over and saw her face I knew there was no way I would be killing this girl tonight. Her blue eyes stared up at me with fear and I had to fight the urge to ditch this whole mission. I looked away from her face and concentrated on taking off any jewelry I could find. I wasn't instructed to grab them, but I figured that if they were after her money, which was likely seeing as I was instructed to grab her wallet, that they would probably want her jewelry as well. I knew that they were expecting fast results and so I had to hurry up. I needed to make sure she would keep quiet about this if I wasn't going to kill her.

"Don't speak a word of this to anyone or I will find you and I will kill you. I have your ID now, remember that." I kept the gun in her direction as I backed away and turned the corner, firing it just once into the air so that the noise could act as proof for what I was supposed to do. As soon as I was out of her eyesight, I started running and praying that my sister was okay.

It didn't take me long until I reached my destination. Candice was sitting on the ground with a guy I hadn't seen, or at least hadn't noticed, before beside her. "I got it." I said, walking up to the guy who had given me the gun. "Wallet for my sister."

"You got it, but did you finish the job?" I knew what he meant and I felt panic flood through me. I nodded before I spoke.

"Yes. I left as soon as I did it. A man heard the commotion and was on to me, but I got away before he could catch up." I hoped he couldn't hear my voice shaking at the lie.

"Good."

"My sister." I demanded. I hadn't noticed how silent she had been and felt relief wash over me as they stood her up and shoved her my way. I threw the wallet over to them, deciding to keep the jewelry to avoid anymore questions. I just wanted to get out of there as soon as I could.

"If you fuck around with us again, you'll be the one dead. Gun?"

"Don't worry, that won't be a problem." I said, taking the ski mask off and grabbing my sister, pushing her behind me as I handed him his gun. I wasn't sure if he would let us walk away, but I made sure my body was blocking Candice's the whole time as we left. There were no gun shots or people coming after us as we walked home, and I felt numb the entire way there.

Her name was Ivy. It would be a name I would never forget.
♠ ♠ ♠
For anyone who reads this and likes the content, let me know if you want me to adjust the font. I personally really like it, but I know that different colours/font types/sizes are sensitive to people's eyes and I want you guys to be able to read it without it bothering you. :)

Comment/Subscribe!! < 3
I love feedback.

P.s. The banner for this story was technically "created" by me in the sense that I mashed two photos together, blurred out some lines, and added some words, but the two photos themselves are not mine and I do not take credit for them.