Status: I'll try to update nightly. Comment your thoughts!

Let Love Bleed Red

Chapter 1

The library was cold. It was getting close to the end of the semester. My final semester. In a matter of weeks I'd be out of here for good; done with school forever. I was more than ready to get out of here, but not for the reasons you'd suspect.

About halfway through the third semester, my band was finally picked up to finally start touring with some of the biggest bands in this scene. My mom isn't too thrilled about the news; she sees it as me wasting her money. Which I can understand. She was nice enough to lay out my tuition for me, but I was an English major. That definitely helped when it came to writing songs. But she knew how important this was to me. It wasn't just a hobby anymore. I was finally getting to do what I loved, and that was writing and playing music. I'd be playing for full crowds every night, or so I assumed. These were pretty well known bands. The labels predicted the tour would sell out.

"What are you up to, Rock Star?" I heard from behind me. I took out my headphones, transporting back into the cold quiet corner of the library. My friend Adam sat down across from me, books in hand. He wasn't nearly as excited to get out as I was. He loved school. And wasn't exactly thrilled about having to leave it and start over in the real world. Adam was one of those book smart types. Give him a test and he'd ace it no problem, but stick him in real life situations and watch him freeze up on the spot.

I smiled, moving my stuff out of the way, making room for him.
"What are you up to today?" I asked. He shrugged, dropping his backpack onto the chair next to him.
"I was wondering the same about you, Rock Star." He said again. I could feel my cheeks blushing.
"What did I tell you about that, Adam?" I said sternly. He laughed to himself, crossing his arms.
"I don't understand why you wouldn't want everyone to know. If I were you.." I cut him off.
"If you were me you wouldn't even be in this position." I gave him a sly smile. He rolled his eyes, smirking to himself.
"You might be right, but still. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to tell everyone about this. This is huge news! It's finally taking off, Kira. I just thought you'd be a little more excited!" He couldn't be more wrong. I was thrilled. I knew how big of a deal this was. This is everything I've ever wanted and more. I just didn't want to get ahead of myself. What if things didn't take off like I hope they will? Just because you're on a successful tour, doesn't automatically make you successful. Sure, we were lucky to get picked for this, but there are more bands that open for these huge bands that you never hear of again. And I didn't want to be one of them. I also didn't want everyone to be able to watch it blow up in my face, in case that was to happen. As far as I was concerned, the less people that knew, the better.

"So, when do you head out?" He asked, now taking out his laptop. His concentration had now switched over to his screen. He was always so easily distracted, but knowing him, he probably had another paper do. He overworked himself. I knew he'd do just fine when he got out of here.

"A few more weeks." I said, shutting his screen down on his fingers. He smirked, now looking back up at me. He got the hint.
"Well, I'm gonna miss you." He said simply.
"You can come to a few shows, you know. I can get you tickets." He giggled.
"Oh, you promise you won't get too big for little 'ol me?" I rolled my eyes.
"You're right." I said "I'm gonna be way too big to remember anyone here. I'm gonna be out with these big shots now, I don't have time for this anymore." He laughed, running his fingers through hair hair.

"Please don't get like that" He sighed. I had no intention of doing so.
"Don't get involved with any of those band guys either, Kira." This time, I laughed.
"Right, cause any of them would be interested in me. Trust me, I don't think I live up to the whole Rock Star girlfriend thing, Adam. You don't have anything to worry about there."

He nodded, but I could still tell he was thinking about it. I hoped we wouldn't get stuck on this part of the conversation for too long. It really wasn't something I was into, anyway. The whole idea of "dating" never appealed to me. I was more into just making friends, having my career, making a living. Relationships just seemed to complicate everything along the way.

It wasn't something I ever saw for myself, and I definitely wasn't going to let something stupid like a relationship ruin what I had worked so hard for.