Status: I'll try to update nightly. Comment your thoughts!

Let Love Bleed Red

Chapter 14

I bit my lip, staring back at him. How did he always manage to know the perfect thing to say? He stared back at me sweetly, giving me a half smile.

"But I don't want to hurt your feelings." I finally said. He shrugged.
"Sometimes the reward is worth the risk, even if it's only temporary." There he goes again. Did he just have these lines saved up? I was skeptical, but part of me didn't care.
"Come here.." I sighed, pulling his cup over to my side of the booth. His smile grew, but he didn't hesitate to make his way over, sitting close to me. He put his arm around me, pulling me closer to him. I leaned my head on his shoulder. He then moved his hand to my leg. My heart was racing. I was hoping he couldn't tell.

He turned, now pressing his lips against my the side of my head. I could feel his warm breath as he sighed.
"This is much nicer sober" he whispered. My heart jumped. There was no 'this.' There was nothing going on with us, what was I getting myself into?

The waitress began to walk over to check up on us, but I saw him wave her off. My cheeks were burning again.
"Do you like me?" He asked. The question I always dreaded. He was now taking one of my hands in his, playing with my fingers on the table. I bit my lip.
"No.." I finally said. "Because I really don't know anything about you." He didn't flinch. That was a good sign, right?
"So you're just attracted to me.." He asked. I thought about it. I guess there was no denying that at this point.
"Yes" I said quietly. He moved his fingers until they were interlocked with mine.

We were quiet again for a moment.
"Well, I grew up in Oregon.." He started. I stared up at him as he continued to run his fingers over mine. He kept his eyes fixated on our hands where my eyes were locked on his. His eyes, to his lips, back to his eyes. I do admit to spacing out a few times, but he went on all about him as a kid, to his family, to how he first started singing. He peeked over to catch me staring a few times. Every time, we'd share a sweet smile, then his eyes would go back down to my hands.

I then moved closer, resting my head on his shoulder again. I heard him sigh as he laid his head on mine, then continued talking. I smiled. He was right. This was much nicer sober.

Soon, he waved down the waitress for the check and we were on our way. As we were walking out, our hands brushed against each other. I peeked over at him, he was still facing forward, ignoring it for my sake I imagined. Perhaps it was for the best. But I loved the feeling of his hand in mine. I moved closer, bumping my hand into his again. He looked down then over at me. I smiled up at him. I saw a small smile move across his lips as he gently slipped his hand into mine, interlocking our fingers. My heart was racing again. I was starting to like this feeling.

He opened the door for me and lead me to his truck where he helped me inside. As he shut the door, I admired him as he walked around to the drivers side.
"I think it's time I got you back, they'll think we run off and eloped if I don't." I giggled, looking down at my feet.
"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, they know me too well for that." He looked over at me.
"Oh you're not the marrying time?"
"I'm not the falling in love type."