Status: I'll try to update nightly. Comment your thoughts!

Let Love Bleed Red

Chapter 4

Finally, today was the day. Graduation day.

Despite my good grades, now that the day was finally here, I was more than happy I wouldn't be one of the students having to make a speech. I was nervous enough as it was knowing I had to walk across the stage in front of the entire university. Ironic I know, considering I was about to leave for a sold out tour.

I drove down to the school by myself, letting my parents know when they could arrive in order to get themselves a good seat. But not too good. I knew Mom would have her video camera ready. Typical. When I pulled up, I spotted Adam right away. Thankfully we would be placed somewhat near each other.

"Hey, Mr. Valedictorian!" I say, walking up to him. Unlike me, Adam WAS at the top of his class, so HE would be the one making the speech today. He turns around, smiling at me, reaching over for a hug.
"Today is the day" He sighs. I nod, giving him a subtle smile.
"I can't wait to hear your speech. I'm surprised you didn't let me read it over before hand." He giggled.
"You know, honestly I should have, considering you're the English major and all. But I don't think you would've let me get away with what I wrote."

I looked at him confused.
"What do you mean?" I asked. He shrugged.
"You're just gonna have to wait and see."
"Adam!"
"Sorry Kira, I gotta go get ready, I'll see you out there!"

I watched him walk off with one of the professors. I could feel my cheeks burning.

I managed to space out during the first half of the ceremony as the professors rambled on about our futures, and how today was the first day of the rest of our lives; nonsense I've heard at every graduation I've attended since Elementary school. In a way, it was true. Today was a new chapter in my life, but not because of school. Graduation day only meant I was one step closer to getting on that van with the guys and touring the country. So I couldn't be more excited.

Finally, Adam took the stage. I made sure to cheer extra loud. He took notice. I saw him smile.

"My fellow classmates.." He began. He took a pause, now looking out at the huge crowd that sat before him. I could feel him taking it all in. This is everything he had worked for. It was nice to see him cherishing the moment. He had earned it.

"My fellow classmates.." He said again "Like we've heard a thousand times, today is the first day of the rest of our lives. And they couldn't be more right about that. Today is the day we take our first steps into making our mark on the world. We've sat through years of classrooms and textbooks and essays long enough, it's finally our turn." I heard some of the professors giggle at that. I smiled.

"Someone once told me, sometimes you have to fall before you fly." He said. I could feel my face blush. He was now talking about me. Is this what he was talking about.
"She said that if you never take chances in life, you might as well walk down to the closest job you can find, and sign yourself up for a life sentence of misery. Life is about taking the chances you want, because in the end, you might as well try at what you love in life, instead of succeeding at what you hate. This lovely young lady's name is Kira Gayle, and she's sitting here with us today."

He pointed me out. I could feel my cheeks burning. A couple of heads turned to face me, flashing me smiles. Some even clapped. I glared at him to continue. I heard him giggle.

"Kira is not only my best friend, but the biggest dreamer I know. She's also incredibly modest. She is one of the most bravest young women I've ever gotten the chance to know over these past few years. I, out of everyone know just how stubborn Kira can be, and when she get's her mind set on something, you know damn well she's gonna get it." I smiled up at him. I could feel tears in my eyes. I knew where he was going, but I was too touched to be angry. I wiped my face, trying now to smear my makeup.

"You might not know this, but Kira's band was picked up to go on a sold out tour, with some of the biggest bands today. Some of you probably didn't even know Kira was in a band. But that just goes to show what a lot of hard work, keeping a level head, and continuing to dream big will get you." He paused for a moment, giving me a subtle smile.

"Doing what you love. Now today I want you to go out, and take control of your life. Don't take no for an answer. Go after what you want because life is short and one day you're gonna be old and wrinkly, and have nothing left but these stories of today, so make sure they're worth telling. Congratulations, Class of 2015. I wish you all the best of luck."