Status: I'll try to update nightly. Comment your thoughts!

Let Love Bleed Red

Chapter 6

Adam picked me up outside my house later that night. I was less than thrilled of our soon to be evening of party hopping. But I knew Adam was excited. So I put on a fake smile when I opened his passenger door. He giggled.

"What?" I asked. He shook his head, now looking out the window.
"Are you really gonna wear that?" He asked. I felt my cheeks burn. What was wrong with this? I always wore this?
"Yes.." I mumbled. He playfully rolled his eyes at me.
"You know Kira, it's gonna be pretty hard to make friends when you always look so scary all the time."

I looked myself up and down. Sure, I might not have the cheeriest wardrobe but I never saw anything wrong with it.
"Adam, I'm fine. Let's go before I change my mind." He nodded, and we were off.

I wasn't exactly sure where he was taking me yet. Had he found out about parties of his own? Impressive. Maybe Adam was more social than I suspected. I stared out my window, watching everything fly past. Soon I'd be leaving all of this behind. Thankfully. I had outgrown this town a long time ago. I was ready more than ever now to get out.

"So where are we headed?" I asked, not taking my eyes off the road. He was quiet for a minute.
"Well, I know you really didn't want to go to any parties tonight, and I figured, why would I want to spend one of my last nights with you doing something that makes you miserable. So I figured, we'd try something else." I looked over at him confused, but smiled. He always thought of me.

"Alright, then what did you have in mind?" I asked.
"You'll see when we get there, won't you." He said. I sighed, looking back out the window. I could exactly recognize where he was taking me. It was too dark. Finally, he pulled back up to the school. I looked at him, puzzled.
"We're back here?" I asked. He got out of his car, shutting the door behind him and came around to my side, opening my door. I got out, looking around. The field out back was still covered in papers and confetti and popped balloons and lawn chairs. Adam's speech played over in my mind. I smiled.
"What are we doing back here?" I asked. He motioned back towards the stage. I followed him close. I hadn't realized how creepy our school looked at night.

"Do you remember where we met?" He asked. I felt my cheeks burned. I hadn't. I stayed quiet, hoping he'd answer that one for me.
"Right here." He said, bringing us to a picnic table closest to the art building. I smiled and sat down across from here.
"Right here" he said "is where I met my best friend four years ago. And four years ago I never imagined in a million years I'd be where I am today. Did you?" I shook my head. I always hoped, but I never imagined.
"I just want you to remember this, Kira. I have a good feeling about you. I know you're going to do great things. You're going to be successful. And I just don't want you to forget where you came from, or the things you've been through, or the experiences you've had that have made you who you are" I giggled to myself.
"No wonder they picked you to make the speech." He smirked, looking down.
"I'm being serious." He said. I nodded.
"I know.." He was quiet for a bit.

"I was picked for a job in California." He finally said, as if a weight had be lifted off his chest. I stared at him wide eyed.
"A-Adam.. that's.. that's great." I went over hugging him. This is what he had been working for. I was thrilled for him.
"Is this what the whole speech was about?" I asked. He shrugged.
"Partly. I just.. It's thousands of miles away, Kira." I could tell he was nervous.
"Well, how big is the gig?" I asked jokingly.
"I'd be one of their head lawyers. It's one of the biggest firms in the country." I was taken back.
"Wow.." I sighed.

"I just.. I don't want to forget this, you know? Everything here. You're gonna be on tour, and I'm gonna be working.. all the time. Every day, practically. I just-" I cut him off, wrapping him in a tight hug.
"Don't worry. We'll.. We'll still talk all the time. I'll tell you everything that's going on and.. we'll figure something out." He nodded, now looking down at his feet.
"This is what you want, right?" I asked. He didn't hesitate.
"Well, of course. This is what I've been working towards, right? I'd be stupid to throw it away, and you're going away anyway and-" I cut him off again.

"Wait.. you would've stayed for me?" I asked. I could feel my cheeks burning now. I wondered if he noticed. I bit my lip. He was quiet for a moment, then brought his eyes up to mine.

"I just.. what we have is special, Kira. I know that, and.. I don't know. You're leaving and.." He stopped, now covering his face with his hands. He ran his fingers through his hair and fixated on the ground again. What was going on?

"What's.. what's going on, Adam?" He looked back up at me.
"I just.. I didn't want to leave without knowing if.. maybe.. there was something here. Something between us. You know.. something more. Because if there was, I'd be an idiot to let that go."