‹ Prequel: Shadow

Dreamscape

I

Image
She hadn't seen her shadow man for six months, she knew he was there, but they had reverted back to their old game of cat and mouse. She didn't mind, it excited her. Every time she stepped outside her door, the feeling returned – it was almost like he was standing right next to her, a literal shadow more so than anything else.

Sitting on the edge of her bed, she looked out her bedroom window – scanning the dark tree line for any sign of him. Her lips still tingled every time she thought about the night he had finally stepped out of the shadows and into her world, a small smile tugged at her lips. As if on cue, she saw the flickering of a lighter just inside the tree line. She stood, grabbing a cigarette out of her beaten up packet and lit her own, opening the window and leaning against the sill.

She wished she knew more about him. She didn't even know his name – she only knew his presence and what he looked like. Taking a drag on her cigarette, she motioned for him to join her.

He knew she had seen him, he had been careless – not that he minded. He was already playing with fire, so why not fan the flames? Stepping out of the shadows of the tree line, he walked slowly to her window – looking up at the girl he couldn't stop shadowing. She smiled down at him, a warm feeling running through her entire body at the sight of him. Resolved to be closer to him, she placed her cigarette firmly between her lips and hoisted herself up on the window sill, dangling her legs over the edge. Feeling for a hand hold, she found it in the form of the trellis that lined that side of the house. She swung out, holding on tightly as she slowly made her descent.

When she reached the ground, she saw he was no longer where he once stood. He'd moved to lean up against a tree – doused in moonlight. That warm feeling returned again as her eye's moved over his form – taking in any detail about him that she could. He seemed aware of her lingering gaze, but made no move to stop it. Her eyes finally settled on his face, committing it to memory – she wanted to remember it, she didn't know if he would be here for much longer, he was too mysterious to count on. He had finally had enough of the silence.

“You wanted to speak with me?” He asked.

“Who are you...?” She questioned, feeling nervous. She didn't know this man, this shadow, but she wanted to.

He sighed, looking away from her and down at the ground – suddenly becoming extremely interested in the dew covered grass. He knew she'd want to know this eventually, but he didn't know what to say to her. Resigned, he finally responded.

“You don't want to know.”

She narrowed her eyes. She hadn't expected him to tell her anything, but she had hoped he would have. Deciding to press on, she continued.

“What's your name?”

He flinched noticeably. Inhaling deep on his cigarette, he flicked his eyes to meet hers. Her heart raced as his gaze held hers, his emotions running through his eyes so fast she could barely keep up with them.

“I don't remember.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Short introduction - Welcome Back.