Pretty Boy

1 of 7

I smiled to myself as I walked down the corridor. I had a brand new comic book in my bag that I couldn’t wait to start reading. I just had to get through school first. It was way too tempting to just skip PE and hide in the library and read it. I hummed to myself as I wandered down the corridor towards my locker, completely in my own world. I seemed to spend a lot of my time at school like that. School wasn’t my place. I would rather be at Bart’s – the comic book shop – or the library tucked in my corner. I wasn’t bothered by how much I disliked school; I knew it wasn’t for everyone. I was kind of excited for uni, though, where I hoped to find like-minded people who were into sci-fi and comic books and all that stuff. My older brother, Marcus, was in his final year of university and had been telling me so many awesome stories about the different societies that I could get involved with. There was a Comic and Graphic Novels Society at many universities that would be on the top of my list. Marcus wasn’t into the whole comic book thing – he was an athlete through and through; 5’10” and broad shoulders. We had similar colourings with our black hair and blue eyes, and we were both pretty confident, but that was pretty much where the similarities ended. He was several inches taller than me, almost double my width, and was super popular and a total ladies’ man. Even though I was confident, I didn’t have all that many friends, but I was fine with my own company whereas Marcus liked being surrounded by other people. He was a Lineman in college and he told me stories every week about the parties he went to. I’d kind of been terrified of coming out to him more so than my own parents, who’d ended up being super supportive. I’d thought he’d be horrified to have a gay little brother but he’d just taken me into a big bear hug and ruffled my hair. I’d shaken him off with a reluctant smile but it had meant the world to me that he accepted me.

I was startled out of my daydreaming when a solid shoulder shoved into mine. I looked up into the green coloured eyes that were gazing down at me. “Watch it, pretty boy,” the guy said before stepping around me.

“Oh, sorry,” I muttered, stepping to the side. I wasn’t really sure who’d been in the wrong. I hadn’t been paying attention but obviously neither had he. I shrugged the incident to the back of my mind and continued on to my locker. I’d vaguely heard people talking about that guy and his group of friends. He was a football player. I wasn’t really sure because I kind of just avoided that stuff. But I knew that he and his friends were at the top end of the social ladder in the school. He was the quarterback of the football team and almost a foot taller than me. He was blonde, which was kinda cute, with green eyes and a dusting of freckles across his nose. I didn’t waste my time thinking about him, though, there was no point. I’d never even spoken to him except the occasional situation where I was in his way or if he caught me looking at him for a moment too long. It didn’t bother me, I just put it down to him being short tempered.

In the end, I did end up skipping PE. I knew I’d get in trouble but the thought of running around the football field just as a warm up set a lead weight in my stomach. And I did have ‘Forever Love’ to read. And that really couldn’t wait. So I went to the library, smiling politely at Mrs Kent, the aging librarian, before going over to my usual armchair. Yeah, I had a usual seat that was unofficially mine. It was in the back corner of the library, away from any potential noise from the corridor outside. I dropped my back next to the chair and fell into it. I kicked my shoes off and brought me legs up onto the chair beneath me. I dug around in my bag for a moment before pulling out the new issue of ‘Forever Love’, a tremor of excitement bubbling in my stomach.

I flicked open the first page and my eyes went straight to the first image of a boy running into the arms of his boyfriend. I smiled softly and rested the comic book on my knees. ‘Forever Love’ gave me faith that I could find a boyfriend, too. The whole plot centred on a boy called Benji who falls for Roman, his sister’s older boyfriend. It was a pretty clichéd plot and sometimes it amazed me how they milked it for so many volumes, but I loved it and I always held out the hope that Roman would admit his feelings for Benji rather than just sleeping with him. I sighed softly and turned the page to where Roman cornered Benji and towered above him. I bit my lower lip. What I wouldn’t give to be in Benji’s position. Despite the fact that Roman wouldn’t admit his feelings for Benji, he seemed like the perfect boyfriend, the type of guy I wanted. Someone passionate yet romantic, caring and considerate. Tall and strong and someone who just made me feel safe. Benji had found that in Roman and I would track down the author and kill him if the two of them didn’t have a happy ending…

“Hey,” a voice said beside me, making me jump. I quickly looked up and my heart leapt into my throat when my eyes landed on the blonde quarterback.

“Hi,” I said with a slight frown. Could never be too careful when he was around.

“I didn’t know you liked comics,” he said and I just nodded because, I mean, why would he know? It wasn’t like we’d ever really spoken.

“Yeah,” I said. “This is one of my favourites.”

“What’s it called?” he asked and I glanced up at him.

“Forever Love,” I said and he frowned curiously.

“I don’t think I’ve heard of that,” he said. “I like comic books, too.” He moved suddenly and sat on the arm of the chair, his thigh pressed against my bicep. I tensed slightly. “Holy shit,” he whispered, snatching the book from my hands.

“Hey,” I said, getting out of the chair. I glared at him but he didn’t seem to notice as all his attention seemed to be on the pictures in front of him. He slid sideways over the arm and into the chair. My chair. I crossed my arms over my chest as I huffed but he still didn’t look up.

“This is a gay comic,” he said, turning the pages as the sex scene between Benji and Roman grew more graphic.

“So?” I said. “If you don’t like it, don’t read it.” He finally looked up at me, eyes wide and cheeks bright pink.

“Who said I didn’t like it?” he asked, his cheeks only darkening further.

“Oh,” I said softly. He looked back down at the book. “You know, you shouldn’t be reading it, that’s issue 20. You should start at the beginning.” He looked up at me again and nodded slowly.

“Do you have the other issues?” he asked and I nodded. “Could I maybe borrow the first one?” I considered him for a second. Was he trying make fun of me? Was he gonna spread it round the school that I read a gay comic book with pretty graphic sex scenes? “Please?” he asked, his blush creeping down his neck. I smiled softly.

“Sure,” I said and he smiled.

“Thanks,” he said. “Uh, can we, you know, keep it quiet? The guys don’t know that I, you know, like…that.” He motioned at the pictures of Benji and Roman.

“No problem,” I smiled and he smiled back, his eyes twinkling slightly.

“I'm Jacob, by the way,” he said and I smiled.

“Avery,” I said, taking the comic from him. He brushed his fingers over mine and I bit my lip. I wasn’t usually a shy person but at that moment, my mouth seemed to forget how to say words.

“I better get to practice,” he said and I looked at him curiously.

“You have practice during classes?” I asked and he nodded.

“Most of the team have a free period now, so we all go to the gym,” he said and I nodded slowly. “Do you have a free now? I’ve never seen you before.”

“I’m meant to be in PE,” I said with a small smile. “I skipped it.” Jacob tutted but grinned at me.

“I won't tell, promise,” he said and I smiled.

“Thanks,” I said. “If you, uh, come find me tomorrow? I’ll keep the first issue on me.”

“Thanks,” he smiled. He stood up from the chair and gazed down at me. I looked up into his soft green eyes and felt myself melt slightly.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then?” I asked and Jacob nodded, his blush still on his cheeks, before he hurried from the library.

I smiled softly and sat back in the armchair, somewhat stunned by what had just happened.

--

The rest of the day passed like every other. I had History and Math, which I sat through while not taking in a single thing. My mind was just in a whirlwind from my conversation with Jacob. I wanted to talk to him again already, which was ridiculous. I didn’t even really know him. So he was gay – or at least that’s what he’d implied – that didn’t mean anything. So he’d smiled at me. That didn’t mean anything either. He probably smiled at everyone like that. I shook my head and stared at the board as my teacher talked through a problem.

When I got home, I rummaged through my folders where I stored my comic books and found the first issue of ‘Forever Love’. It would be kind of cool if Jacob did read it. And I could suggest a couple other gay-themed comic books. The only people I had to talk to about these books was strangers online. It would be nice to have an actual person to talk to about Benji and Roman’s relationship because sometimes, I just got too excited and too worked up that I couldn’t form words to put in a comment box in a forum. Sometimes you just needed to talk to a real person. Maybe Jacob could be that person…

The following morning, Jacob came over to my locker only a minute after I got there. “Hi,” he said, leaning against the locker next to mine.
“Hey,” I smiled. “I brought in ‘Forever Love’.” Jacob smiled.
“Thanks.” I nodded and pulled it out of my bag and handed it to him. He glanced at the cover, where there was a design of a shirtless Benji leaning back against a fully dressed Roman. Jacob’s cheeks turned pink again and I couldn’t help but grin at how easily he seemed to get embarrassed.
“Let me know what you think,” I said. “I’ve got all of them, so you can borrow the other issues if you want.”
“Thanks,” he said again and I nodded, closing my locker. Jacob quickly slid the book into his bag.
“Don’t damage it,” I said, “or you’ll be buying me a new one.” Jacob nodded super seriously. I smiled softly to let him know to chill. Even though I would totally make him buy me a new one if something happened to it.
“Thanks, Avery,” he said and I smiled. I liked the way he said my name. “Hey, uh, can I have your number?” he asked, his cheek bones turning pink and I blinked in surprise.
“Sure,” I said and he passed me his phone. I quickly entered my number and passed it back.
“I’ll text you when I’ve read it. I’ll probably want to talk to someone about it,” he said and I bit back a grin.
“Sounds good,” I said and Jacob nodded. He bit his lower lip before smiling shyly.
“I guess I’ll see you later,” he said and I nodded before he vanished down the corridor. How could a blonde quarterback, over 6 foot tall and built with pure muscle, be so adorable? I smiled and shook my head. I was pretty sure I was going to go crazy, trying to answer that question. The simple answer was; he just is.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Unexpected. showed me the comic that inspired this story and we both loved it so decided to write this story based on it.
we hope you like it! :)