Pretty Boy

5 of 7

Dinner with Jacob and his friends was a completely new experience for me. All of his friends were a lot like Marcus – loud and kind of slob-ish – but while I could deal with it from my brother, being surrounded by it was kind of overwhelming. All of the guys on the football team punched each other and swore at each other, the belched and talked with their mouths full. They were kind of a gross group. I was used to it from my brother but having one person act like that is very different to a dozen people acting like that. And I could tell my brother to knock it off. No way could I do that with Jacob’s friends. They hardly accepted me as it was, let alone if I told them to grow some damn manners. Not that I really cared if they accepted me, but I did want Jacob’s friends to at least tolerate me, if not like me. I didn’t want Jacob to get grief for being my friend. So I just sat beside him, ate, responded when someone directed a question at me, but otherwise stayed quiet. Jacob was pretty quiet to, but then he always is. I wondered how he felt, being part of a group that was so over the top noisy when he was shy and quiet. I kind of loved that while he was tall and strong, he didn’t have the oafish mannerisms that a lot of footballers had.

After we had all eaten, everyone went their separate ways. Jacob led me to his car again, though he kept his arms at his sides instead of slinging one over my shoulder again. I understood I still missed it. “It’s only 9.30,” he said as we reached his truck. “You said you don’t need to be home until later?”

“Yeah,” I nodded, wondering what he had in mind.

“Do you wanna just wander round for an hour?” he asked and I nodded with a smile. There was a park not too far away which we headed towards. “I hope tonight wasn’t too awful,” he said and I smiled, nudging him with my shoulder as we walked.

“It was good,” I said.

“I know my friends are a bit…”

“I wasn’t there for your friends, Jacob,” I said, looking up into his eyes, watching as his cheeks filled with colour.

“Well thank you for coming,” he said and I nodded.

As we walked we talked about school and Jacob explained the importance of winning today’s football match. He was pretty damn excited about it. When it was truly dark and we were walking through the park, I reached out and entwined our fingers. Jacob glanced at me but didn’t take his hand away from mine. Only smiled gently and continued talking.

We got back to his truck at about 10.45 and he drove me home. I pointed out my house and he pulled alongside the curb in front. I turned to him as he turned the engine off. “Tonight was fun,” I said and Jacob smiled and nodded. “Maybe sometime soon we can go on that date you still have to ask me about.” Jacob blushed and ran his fingers through his hair.

“Uh, yeah, um-“

“Relax,” I smiled shifting closer. “Would it help if I told you I will 100% say yes when you ask me out?” Jacob smiled though the redness in his cheeks stayed put. “I like you, Jacob,” I said quietly and he lowered his eyes as he smiled.

“I like you, too, Avery,” he whispered and I smiled. I shifted even closer and rested my hand on his thigh. He looked up and met my eyes again and I paused for only a second or two before slowly leaning forward and pressing my lips against his. Jacob inhaled sharply but his hand moved to my shoulder to keep me in place. My eyes slid closed as he kissed me back, his lips slotted perfectly against mine. I moved as close as I could in the confined space, wrapping my spare arm around his broad shoulders as his wound around my waist. The temperature in the truck suddenly felt stifling, enclosing us in what felt like a sauna. But I couldn’t break the kiss. Not yet. When Jacob’s lips parted and his tongue stroked along my lower lip, I whimpered and parted my own lips. As I was trying to get into his lap, my hip caught the steering wheel and the horn beeped, making us both jump. We were startled for a second and then we both laughed.

“Sorry,” I said, sitting back in my own seat.

“Avery, will you go out with me on Friday?” Jacob asked and I grinned.

“I’d love to,” I said, leaning over to peck his lips a final time. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” With that, I hopped out of the truck and headed inside.

I grinned as I walked into the kitchen and found my mother tidying up. “What are you so happy about?” she asked.

“Jacob asked me out,” I said, sitting at the table.

“Aw, that’s great,” she smiled, drying a mug and putting it away. I smiled and nodded, reliving the most amazing kiss I’d ever experienced. Okay, so it was my first kiss but I still felt like it was above average. It had certainly blown my mind.

“I’m going to bed,” I said and my mum nodded.

“Night, honey,” she said and I headed up to my room. I brought my fingers to my lips once I closed my bedroom door and fell onto my bed with a grin.

--

Friday took forever to arrive but eventually it did. I’d been having lunch with Jacob and a couple of his friends every day. I knew a couple of his teammates were total homophobes but Charles, Chad, John, Steve and Mark were all good guys who easily accepted me. I felt like they would accept Jacob, too, if he ever chose to come out before we finished school. I understood why he might not want to, though. A couple of other guys on the football team gave me grief in the corridors, calling me a fag and shoving me aside, and I knew they’d take it super badly if Jacob were to come out. As long as Jacob could continue on like we had this week, kissing and cuddling in his car after school, then I was happy. For the moment, anyway.

When the class before lunch ended, I smiled knowing that I would be having lunch with Jacob and then it was only a couple hours until our first real date. I went via my locker to drop off my books. “Fag,” a voice behind me muttered just before I was shoved head first into the metal lockers. I hissed in pain and turned to face whoever had just shoved me. It was one of the linebackers on the football team and a couple of other players. “Keep the fuck away from Jacob,” he spat. “We don’t need a fag in the football tea, got it?”

“Just because I hang out with Jacob doesn’t mean he’ll turn into a fag,” I said. “It’s not contagious. Good thing too, otherwise you would have caught it by now, due to all the times you’ve gotten too close to me to hit me or whatever.” The guy’s lips thinned into a tight line and his nostrils flared.

“You better watch it,” he said. “Jacob isn’t around to protect you.”

“I don’t need him to protect me,” I said, even though I probably did considering they were all well over 6 foot tall and probably twice my weight.

“That’s right, little fag can protect himself,” the guy sneered and I glared.

“Fuck you,” I snapped and before I knew it, the guy had my shirt in his fist and shoved me against the lockers. I glared up at him. “Careful, the gay might spread,” I spat. Evidently I didn’t know when to shut up. The guy let go of my shirt and punched me hard in the stomach. I cried at the impact but refused to let him see how much it hurt. I clamped my lips together and straightened up only to find his fist in my stomach again. I curled over in an attempt to protect myself but then he brought his knee up and into my stomach. I gasped for breath as he pulled me upright and punched me in the face. I fell to the ground and he stayed with me, throwing punches. I was past the point of maintaining my dignity and cried out with every punch and kick he threw at me. From the corner of my eye I could see his friends going through my bag and tearing my books, notepads and comic books to shreds. I curled into a ball, as small as I could get, and prayed for it to be over soon.

And then, like magic, the punches and kicks vanished. I cautiously uncurled from my ball and looked up to see Jacob and his friends throwing punches at the linebacker and his friends. After Jacob threw a punch at the linebacker, who seemed to be dazed for a moment, Jacob came to kneel beside me. “Are you okay?” he whispered, concern in his eyes. I looked up at him, wide-eyed. My Jacob was so quiet, so calm, I’d never have imagined he’d come to my rescue like that. I smiled weakly and nodded.

“I am now,” I whispered, slowly sitting up. I grimaced as the muscles in my stomach protested.

“Easy,” Jacob said, resting a hand on my back. I looked over Jacob’s shoulder and saw Charles and the others standing, arms crossed over their wide chests, glaring at the linebacker and his friends. I smiled softly and looked back at Jacob. I didn’t know what to do or say. I wanted to throw my arms around him and thank him until he got sick of hearing the words. I wanted to cry from the pain in my body and from the knowledge that he was looking out for me. I didn’t, though, instead I slowly stood up, straightening inch by inch despite my body’s cries of pain. “You need to go to the nurse,” Jacob said, wrapping his arm around my waist. I nodded and my head swam. I leant into him and wrapped my arms around him. I knew he wouldn’t want me to, that he didn’t want people to know, but I needed him. Instead of pulling away, Jacob just pulled me into his chest and held me gently but firmly. And I knew I was safe.