Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

A Sudden Request

My name is Risa Minasaki, I am 22 and pretty average girl whose only unique quality is that I am gifted in linguistics. I have been traveling around the world for a few years now, but it is finally time to go back home. I was packing the rest of my things in my hotel room as I reminisced about home. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed traveling, it will be a nice break to return home. I would not say I am experiencing homesickness but I definitely still miss it. In the middle of my packing I get a phone call from Kaito, my friend and colleague. Huh? I wonder why he is calling. I will not be home for another 2 days and it is kind of late. Wondering what Kaito could want, I answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey Risa, sorry it is so late!" I can hear his rushed voice through the phone. It must be something important.

"No, it's okay. Is something wrong Kaito?" I hope everything is okay...

"Actually, I have a little favor to ask of you." This peaked my interest. "One of the higher-ups is looking for a date to the party." Huh? Party? "But he cannot find anyone suitable, so he asked me if I knew anyone. I figured you would be a good pick, since you are great with foreign languages." So it is one of our foreign clients. But I wonder why Kaito would ask me.

"M-me? Be his date?!" I'm not really sure if I am date material. I do not have anything all that formal for a party between socialites.

"You studied languages, right?" Only enough to hold a conversation... I thought. "Everyone uses English anyway, so you'll be fine." I sighed. I do not think it is all that simple. "The party is tomorrow night." Such short notice... "I already let him know that you had to go home the day after." Oh, so he already had the mindset that I was definitely going to say yes. I sighed again. Always the pushy one.

"I guess as long as I make my flight, it is okay. I'll do it." I might as well go, Kaito probably already told the man I would join him. I guess it could be fun!

"I think this would be a good opportunity to expand your networking." Of course you do. "You should not pass it up. Oh, that's right. There will be lots of internationally powerful people at that party." My eyes opened a little wide. It is that type of party? Oh, I am really not ready for this one.

"Is it really okay for a person like me to go to such a party?" The nerves began kicking in.

"I know you're not the sort of person who would commit a big social taboo." What is that supposed to mean? What could I possibly do? "Besides, you'll have your escort to help you." I sure hope he is helpful. "Don't worry about." I tried to calm down to Kaito's words. Maybe it won't be too bad. Think positive.

"Well knock 'em dead tomorrow. I'll give you all the details later!" He hung up quickly either because he knows I feel uneasy about this or he is completely unaware. Knowing him, he probably sensed my nerves.

I stare blankly at the phone in my hand. This is easier said than done... I've never been to a formal party like this, am I really suitable?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Next Day...

I arrived at the famous hotel where the party was being held. I see a women in an elegant colored dress and a man escorting her in tuxedo. Wow, so fancy... I stared in awe as I gazed at everyone stepping into the ballroom. A man passing by me drops a shiny object. Oh... It rolls over to me and I quickly pick it up. It is an intricately designed cuff link.

"Excuse me, you dropped this." I approach the man walking at a quick place and touch his arm lightly. The man suddenly turned around and his eyes widen with surprise.

He had silky blonde hair and clear beautiful eyes. Beautiful... He is the definition of 'handsome'. So prince-like. Holding out his cuff link, I am mesmerized by his gaze.

"I appreciate it. This cuff link means a lot to me. Thank you." So polite. His deep, penetrating voice resonates pleasantly against my ears. Even his voice is beautiful. He takes the cuff link from my hand and shows me a handsome smile. So dazzling...

He has such a radiant atmosphere around him... Almost like a glow. Different from the other people that have walked passed into the ballroom. I wonder who he is. As I am lost in my thoughts about how dazzling he is, I feel something touch my hand. It's his! I looked down and the prince-like man had gently taken my hand in his. My heart started beating fast and I blushed. As I am fixated on his hand, with elegant movement he gently kisses my fingertips. Woah.

"Does your presence here also mean you'll be at the party?" His voice shook me out of my daze and I looked back into his eyes.

"Y-yes." I feel so embarrassed. Like I don't belong here.

"I'm glad to hear that." W-what? "With a woman like you attending, it makes it worth volunteering to host this party." My eyes opened wide and I blushed a deep red.

"What?" God, I hope he can't see my bright red face...

"Oh, it's time soon." After respectfully kissing the back of my hand, the handsome man takes his leave. I was left in awe and dumbfounded. My heart beats violently in response to what some people would think is a trivial incident. As I clutch my chest to calm myself, somebody taps me on my shoulder from behind.

"I'm sorry. Did I keep you waiting?" I turned to see a tall man with messy black hair and matching black eyes. He looks mysterious. Another handsome man, I must be lucky. The somewhat stiff atmosphere about him causes me to pause a moment before I can answer.

"Oh, um..." Is this who I am supposed to join as a date to this party? Even though he is dressed so elegantly he doesn't look like the type to attend parties.

"I'm Asena. I guess it would be easier to understand if I said I was your partner for tonight." Oh, I did not think I would get such a handsome escort.

"Ah! Nice to meet you!" I gave a short bow as I greeted Asena. "How did you know who I was?"

"Only those of a certain social class have been invited to this party." I guess I really don't fit in. I gave a defeated sigh. I knew it...

"So I've heard. Apparently there are many attendees of international importance." I hope I dressed well enough. I don't think I have acted weird... "Do you mean to imply that I've been acting in an unworthy manner? If you've noticed something, any advice would be helpful." He gave me a strange look.

"No, that's not what I meant." I sighed in relief. "Amongst attendees who are all familiar with this sort of environment, I did not sense that formality from you." That makes sense. "Besides, as of now you are the only person standing here." What a relief... "I apologize for the sudden request. I am grateful."

"No, I am honored to be able to attend such a party." We shake hands briefly and I observe Asena discreetly. Completely different aura from the man I met earlier. He doesn't come across as especially friendly. However, his quiet and unconcerned demeanor seems to set me at ease.

"If I recall correctly, your name was..."

"I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself yet." I interrupted. "I am Risa Minasaki."

"Acting as your partner, do you mind if I call you by your first name?"

"No, not at all." At least he appears to be attempting to make things less awkward. Even though he has an stiff aura, I feel much more relaxed than earlier.

"Well then Risa, I look forward to our time together." How formal and polite. As he says this, he holds out his arm to me. Just by his actions, I can tell he is accustomed to this kind of environment. "Is something the matter?" He paused.

"No, Asena, you just seem very accustomed to this kind of environment." In a way, it makes me feel at ease to be with someone who knows exactly what he is doing. Maybe he can help me out like Kaito said.

"I've done my rounds. You too should make observations for future occasions."

"I will." I said firmly. I can do this.

"You're an earnest one..." Asena's eyes soften and his expression changes drastically. So he can show emotion. How handsome... And with that, we entered the ballroom.