Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

Little Miss Popular

“Please, shake my hand!” One of the first women says excitedly.

“Oh, crap! I think it’s really her!”

“Really? I need a picture of this.” All the voice jumble together as my head spins. I have not even said anything! Others crowd in, wondering what the commotion is about. If this gets any crazier one of the media is sure to notice.

“Y-you have the wrong person! Sorry, but please let me through!” I bowed slightly, hoping they would let me pass. I try to push through the crowd, but I am pushed back in. Either they cannot hear me or they do not believe me.

“Hey, she’s over here! I will get an interview!” It is that voice! The reporter from earlier is coming. I will not be able to escape now. I finally force myself out of the crowd and run for it.

“Ah?!” I trip over something. Of course! I fall to the ground hard. When I try to stand, a pain shoots through my knee. I must have scraped it as I fell. Blood starts to flow out. Oh no… “Oww.”

“You’re the woman that is causing the stir, aren’t you?” A male police officer is looking down at me. His tone seems cold and unnatural. He yanks on my arm and shoves something against my body, out of sight of the crowd. “Do you know what this is? If you do, then stay still.” It is…a gun…?! I immediately freeze in fear, my hands shaking. This cannot be happening… “Just for your information, if I shoot you here, no one will know I did it.” My eyes widen.

“Wh…why would you shoot me?” I do not understand what is happening. Then I suddenly remember something I have seen on TV. It was about some nobleman in another country being assassinated. Nobility…Am I nobility now? But he is a police officer…! “Oh…” Someone is standing behind the officer. He places a finger to his lips, indicating that I should remain silent.

“Hate your enemies, not me. You just had to meddle…What?!” A sharp noise sounds. The officer’s body falls limp over mine. I instinctively shout. I force him off me and he rolls to the ground.

“Are you okay, Risa?” I look up to see Maynard and feel relieved.

“Y-yes, thank you…” Tears threaten to pour out as I sit in shock.

“You can thank me later. I will not ask what you were doing out here. Let us go back to the castle for now. Okay?” Maynard said softly, his face calm. I try to stand but wobble to the ground. Blood is trickling all the way down my leg. Seeing the large volume of it is nauseating.

“Damn it, does that guy not know that you are not supposed to let a lady get hurt?” Maynard lightly kicks the unconscious officer. His face went dark for just a moment. I decide not to tell Maynard the injury was a result of my own clumsiness. “Can you walk? I do not mind carrying you.”

“Thank you for the offer. But I am fine.” I attempted to smile.

“Do not hold back on my account. Oh…” Maynard panics a little as he looks behind me. I follow his gaze and see the reporter running away. There are others in tow. “Well look at little Miss Popular.” He said teasingly. “You really are the hottest news story in Ingrays right now.”

“W-we better get out of here fast.” I tried getting up quickly, feeling embarrassed. “Ow!” Stupid injury! I cursed under my breath.

“That injury is going to get in the way of speed. Risa…sorry about this.” Sorry? “Indulge an old man and stay still, okay?” My body is lifted off the ground. Maynard is holding me in his arms bridal style. Realizing the romantic undertones of our position, the blood swiftly rushes to my head. Oh my…

“P-please put me down!” This is too embarrassing for me.

“You are in no condition to run right now. And I cannot leave you here. Understood?” Maynard said with a toothy grin.

“Ah…” I sighed. My cheeks are still red.

“Do not worry, you are light enough.” He chuckles. As he says this, he dashes off with me in his arms. He runs so swiftly it is hard to believe he is carrying a person.

“Who’s that?!” Luckily for us, the reporter does not seem to recognize Maynard. None of them do for that matter. Maynard cuts through to a small alley, and from there finds another small path that is tucked away. He sure knows his way around this town. I felt relieved at the thought.

As we get closer to the castle, my heart starts to slow down. I look up at Maynard’s face to see an unfamiliar expression. Maynard? His serious gaze is not directed at me, but it still makes my heart skip a beat.

After taking all sorts of little back roads, we finally arrive safely at the castle. Maynard sets me down at the top of their foyer stairs, then sits next to me on the top step. He huffs tiredly. “I hate to admit it, but I am beat. Oh, I am getting old…Sorry for putting you down here.” He smiles at me sweetly.

“No. I’m sorry too. I put you through so much hardship…” I trailed off, bowing my head in guilt.

“It is okay. Do not worry about it.” He just smiles again. “Who was that officer, really? No matter how you look at it, he was being hostile.” Maynard’s facial expression grew serious.

“I do not understand either…Sorry I dragged you into this. And thank you for saving me.” I bowed deeply.

“Hopefully you learned from this to never go out alone. You are not just a normal person anymore.” I nodded in understanding. I guess I am not a regular person now… “Did you and Cyril fight or something?” I look down, unsure of how to answer him. I feel something on my head. My hair is tussled.

“He probably will not like this, but come to me at the first sign of trouble. I will help you in any way I can, Little Risa.” His gentle whispering voice makes my heart skip a beat. I look up and give him a soft smile. He is smiling back, but I cannot read the emotion behind his eyes.

Noticing my gaze is locked with his, Maynard grins. I feel my face flush hot. Trying to cover it, I say… “Why are you so willing to help me? Is it because of what the king said? Surely he was joking.”

“Hm? Oh, you mean about choosing the next crown prince? The king may joke sometimes, but he could have also been serious…”

“Really?” I felt a heavy weight on my shoulders.

“Well, even if he was not joking, that is not why I rescued you, Risa. At least believe me there, okay?” He gave me another handsome smile. “Oh! We need to disinfect that knee of yours.” He points to my knee which has stopped bleeding. It starts to hurt again, now that I have been reminded of it. Maynard’s arms come to me to pick me up again.

“D-don’t! I can walk now. I really do not want to trouble you anymore than I already have.” I said quickly.

“You are only going back to your room, right? Let me baby you.” Not willing to take no for an answer, Maynard lifts me into his arms once again. I cannot look up for a while, embarrassed with wide eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On to my room…

“Owww…”

“Does it sting? Just hang in there.” Maynard’s face is focused as he cleans up and tends to my now dried blood from my leg and knee.

“Um, I can do this myself…” I say slowly, trying to calm fast heartbeat.

“Do not say that. Just sit still.” I never would have imagined a prince would tend to my injury someday… “I am glad you are female. It is no fun touching a man’s leg.” Maynard says jokingly. I giggle.

“Please, do not make this weird.” I say that, but I could not help but smile.

“Sorry, sorry. I could not help it. As adorable as my son is, I did always want a daughter.” At the word ‘son’, Cyril’s face pops into my head. Maynard speaks of him so fondly, but Cyril speaks of his father with contempt. Why does Cyril hate Maynard so much…?

My face must have scrunched up in thought, because Maynard gave me a worried look. “Hm? What is wrong, Little Risa? Why are you staring at me like this? Ooooo, is it love?” Maynard grins as he speaks with a playful tone.

“Girls are not supposed to glare like that. Come on, smile.” He tugs on my cheeks. “Let me guess what you are thinking about…Cyril, right? And why does he hate me so much. Especially when I am such a great dad! Am I right?” Maynard says this lightly, but I do not think it is that simple.

“I did not take it that far, but yes. How did you know?” I was resistant to ask why Cyril hated him. But Maynard smiles with a strange gleam in his eye.

“A father knows everything about his children.”

“I…” But I am not his child… I give him a confused look.

“And that includes you now, Little Risa.” He smiles.

“P…please do not treat me like a child.” I said, embarrassment filling my voice.

“Do you want to know what happened between Cyril and me? He is your husband, I can understand you wanting to know.” Maynard looks at the ceiling. The way he narrows his eyes in deep thought reminds me of Cyril. “But, I am keeping a juicy secret from you now, Little Risa. I feel like it would be a waste to just tell you everything for free.”

“But there is nothing I can offer in exchange…”

“What about making me happy?” I looked up at him. Making him happy?
“Would you like me to start calling you ‘Father’?” I ask teasingly.

“Oh, not a bad idea. Now I really feel like you are my daughter.” I was joking, but he seems to be taking me seriously. His smile is almost blinding. “But…no. I would rather be called by my name. Also…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay for Maynard! I just love him <3 Ain't he sweet??

Thank you readers, subscribers, and those who recommended! :)