Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

A New Side of Them

“The next king? Why did they leave that to you?” Cyril looked at Maynard with a questioning look.

“It was father’s wish. Things will get very busy from now on…If you do not want me to take her away you should keep your eyes on Risa from now on.” Maynard had a mischievous grin.

“What about granddad? You shouldn’t talk like that!” Cyril was not pleased. I kept quiet, not really understanding what was going on.

“If you have got something for Risa, then maybe you should give up on being the next king.” I could hear his words clearly.” Maynard did not look like he was joking, his eyes looked deadly serious. “Is it not obvious? Someone who only looks after one person cannot look after a country.”

“You’ve spoken to grandfather…”

“If you do not have confidence then I can protect her. Would that not be better for Risa?” Maynard steps forward and pulls on my arm. He strokes my hair gently. W-what? “How about it, Cyril? Would it not be better if you left everything to me?” I was left stunned and frozen.

“There’s no way I’m leaving Risa to you! Don’t listen to him!” Cyril was definitely angry. Even though he speaks so harshly to me…

“Cyril…” Cyril runs towards us and quickly pulls me from Maynard’s arms. “Ah.” His arms wrap around my waist from behind and squeezes me tight. I blushed deeply.

“You two seem to be getting along pretty well. That is all you needed to say. Well, you do your best.” Maynard smiles.

“You don’t need to tell me that.” Cyril said sternly. He seems so confident.

“Risa, look after Cyril for me. Be sure to take care of him.” Maynard smiles at me, then walks out of the room. Although his mood had softened a little bit, of course he is unable to stomach that. Cyril beings clicking his tongue severely.

“Cyril, I am sorry. Could you let go of me?” I said bashfully. He’s holding on to me so tightly…

“Ah? How long are you going to hold on to me for?! Let go of me now!” He quickly jumps away from me in a panic, and Cyril brings his hand to his mouth. He looks away with a red face.

“Weren’t you the one who let go of me?” I gave him a knowing look.

“Shutup, dammit! Now’s not the time for that, didn’t you hear what he said? I don’t know what happened, but just leave now. Do you get it?” He speaks quickly, giving me no room to object.

“Thank you for looking after me…” Cyril looked at me with a shocked face and blushes again.

“It doesn’t mean anything. I was just sick of hearing Maynard blathering on like that. But if there’s something with you…I don’t want to let that guy become the next king.” He brings his hand to my face and begins to twirl my hair in his fingers. It was a bit aggressive, but that touch brought back memories. Ah, that is right. It is just like the time Maynard did it.

“What are you looking at…? Didn’t you want me to say I would protect you?” I was confused by his words.

“If I say I want you to say it, would you?”

“N…! Do…Don’t say such stupid junk! No one would ever say that to you!” His brows knitted as he continued to blush. Even if he said it as a lie…Even if he did…Even so, what? My heart suddenly starts thumping. Even though I can feel it coming on, my face blushes. “Why are you embarrassed? I’m not an idiot…”

“I am…I am not embarrassed…” I was still blushing and looked down.

“Well why is your face red? And It’s not just your face even your ear are red.” His hand touched my ear lightly. I gasped unintentionally and reach up towards my ears. I squeeze my eyes shut and then slowly open them. Cyril tenses up in surprise.

“You surprised me…Do not touch me suddenly like that.” I removed my hands from my ears, still blushing madly.

“Well don’t cry out like that. You surprised me.”

“But I was definitely more surprised than you.” I said, still feeling embarrassed.

“What’re you talking about? Of course I’m more surprised than you.” What kind of immature argument is this? I sighed at the pointless exchange. Cyril appears in my line of vision, still looking surprised.

“That’s the first time I’ve seen your face like that. Could you laugh?” As he says that, Cyril smiles like I’ve never seen him smile before. The stern expression that he wears everyday disappears all at once, replaced by a bright expression. When he laughs like this… “Your face is alright like this. It’s better than your usual face.”

“What face…It is not like I made a face intentionally…”

“What caused it then? This?” I gasped as he stretches out his hand and brushes my ear again. A shiver runs down my spine. “That’s different. That was the face you made.” He smiles widely again.

“But what kind of face!” He pulls my arm towards him and embraces me. His smile looks just like the smile of a child who’s pulled a prank. I can feel my face growing hot.

“Your face is red again! Do you react this way when other people do this?”

“What? What is it?” I am not completely understanding what he is saying.

“No? I just thought it was interesting. You said guys like that don’t get to marry the one they love. But it looks like you’re starting to like me. You look like you want to do things for me. I like that.” I gasped again.

“What…what if I tell you I like you?” I did not like the way he was speaking to me from above, and without thinking I replied suddenly.

“Huh! What are you talking about?” Cyril jumps back as if stung. My vision wanders about restlessly.
“I just wanted to say it. You said something uncomfortable Cyril…”

“Don’t be stupid!” He grabs my shoulder suddenly. Cyril turns me around and forces me towards the door.

“Cyril? What are you doing?” I tried looking back at him, but he would not let me.

“Shut up! Go back to your room! Stay inside! Don’t open the door for anyone other than me!”

“Wa…wait! Did I say something to make you angry?” I really was not sure why he would kick me out so suddenly and confine me to my room.

“I’m sick of talking to you.” He spits those words out at me, then pushes me out into the hall. As I turn around, I can see Cyril through the crack in the door. He turns his face away, as if trying to avoid eye contact.

I said too much… I do as I was told and go back to my room, not like I know where else to go, where I fall into self-loathing. I bury my face in my pillow and sigh deeply. I want to go apologize to him, but if I go now will he let me in? I fall into a slump. Just then, I hear a knock. I quickly stand up and fling the door open.

“Huh? What is it? You nearly broke the door!” A surprised Maynard stands before me.

“Maynard…” I huffed, a bit out of breath from my swift movement.

“Are you disappointed? “ Maynard grinned widely.

“Umm. I wondered who it was…” I stated awkwardly.

“Ah, I am sorry I am not Cyril.” Now Maynard looked a bit disappointed and I felt flustered.

“Tha…That is not what I mean!” I stammered as I let Maynard in. For some reason, he brushes my cheek.

“I came to tell you something I forgot to say before, Risa. I was surprised that you left. Did you have another fight?” I gave him a questioning look before answering. I wonder what he has to say…

“I just said something that made him angry. I would not call it a fight.” I sighed, thinking about what happened earlier.

“Do not worry about it. That happens all the time. Cheer up.” Seeing my expression, Maynard bursts out laughing. “What did Cyril say after that? He seems to have ignored my advice to keep an eye on you.”

“He said do not leave here. And not to open the door for anyone else…” Oh… Maynard smiles bitterly. Of course anyone other than Cyril includes Maynard.

“Well you can make an exception for me. Or as Cyril said, do you think you should not have opened the door for me?” Maynard’s smile his back as he speaks teasingly.

“Um. I guess it would depend on the situation.” I just said whatever came out of my mouth.

“Okay. As your father-in-law, I would hate to be shut out like that.” I cannot tell him that I hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to do. “Anyway, he said do not open the door for anyone else…He has not changed.” I have Maynard a quizzical look.

“Huh?” He has not changed? Did he act this selfish all the time? I looked at Maynard in wonder, curious to know about the Cyril before I met him.

“He has always been like that, from when he was very small. He used to shut everything in a box and hide it away.” Maynard’s face softens as he looks reminiscent.

“Really?” I cannot really imagine a young Cyril.

“Even things he did not need to hide would disappear. I helped him look everywhere for things.” Helped? Just as I thought…Maybe they did not always have the kind of relationship they have now. “But that is not what I came here to talk about. I wanted to make sure you are ready, Risa.”

“Ready?” I guess this is what he forgot to tell me about earlier.

“Cyril probably knows already, but as I said we are going to present you to the nation.” Maynard’s face quickly turns serious.

“But why?” I was not sure what all of this meant and gave him a confused stare.

“Risa, it was the inspector who attacked you before. That is what you said. If you bear a grudge, you may regret making an enemy for yourself. Have you heard this way of speaking before?” I nodded my head slowly.

“Yes…”

“If somebody is stirring up the police, well…how should I put it? That person should be doing everything for the country from now on, so Risa, you should not take the bait.” I cannot really understand his aloof way of speaking. It feels like he is trying to lead me off a trail. I see the anger in Maynard’s smile for the first time. “It pains me to say this, but if by any chance you have something on your mind, it has nothing to do with this country. You may be Cyril’s wife, but you do not have Ingrays blood flowing in your veins. To put it bluntly, there are many who could replace you.” I remained silent.

“I am sorry, but this country’s throne is not just an ideal. You must do everything for the country. Occasionally, you need to be brutal. Cyril is not ready for that.” I did not know Maynard felt so strongly about this. He is always a bit different, but this is scary…But… “Are you surprised? Knowing that I think this way?” Maynard gives me a sort of sad smile.

“To be honest, I am surprised. But I also think it is amazing that you are thinking so much about the country.” I said earnestly, he cracked a grin.

“Do you not get it? I am thinking this way because I plan on becoming the next king.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay another chapter!

Cyril has shown quiet a cute side in this one hasn't he? Hehe!

Maynard sure likes to stir things up, but got very serious very quick. Hmm...

Anyway, thank you readers and subscribers!