Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

Cyril is Worried

I want to change out of my wet clothes, but why didn’t he take me back to my own room? I was brought to Cyril’s room to my confusion as Maynard joins in.

“Well, it seems like that is mostly over. Risa, I understand your feelings as well. Why don’t you try to go to bed by yourself?” Maynard spoke with a serious face, something that is uncommon.

“I was pretty thoughtless about this…But if you hadn’t said that Risa was a decoy I would never have done it.” Cyril looks at Maynard with a glare as usual.

“Do not blame others. You considered it too.”

“Do you really think we have time for this?” Cyril’s tone was getting harsh.

“Things happened a little sooner than you predicted, did they not? It somehow got a bit late…” Maynard appeared to be calm, but I get the feeling he was not prepared for this to happen the way it did either.

“And what if because of that lateness something happens to Risa? These guys started this on the day we made the announcement.” The atmosphere then starts to get dangerous. I’m unable to say anything. All I can do is curl up. But Cyril grabs me and pulls my arm. “If you think she got back safely, you’re wrong! Look at this.”

“Was that where she was tied up? I am sorry Risa.” Maynard gives me a sad look and I just nod in response.

“It is alright, it is not as painful as it looks. Um, Maynard…Do not be angry at Cyril, please. If Cyril had not come to help me then I would…” I trailed off, still in fear of what happened not too long ago.

“Risa, if you are happy…Then I understand. I will leave it at that, out of consideration to your kindness today.” Maynard gave me a warm smile and I gave a small one back.

“Hey, let’s go…I really hate you.” Cyril says, not looking at Maynard any longer. Maynard just continues smiling and ruffles my hair as if I’m a child. Cyril glares at his back as he leaves the room. Once we’re alone, Cyril looks at me. “Didn’t you know you were being used as a decoy?”

“To be honest…Maynard told me.” I looked down at my feet, knowing how Cyril will react.

“You’ve got to be kidding me! Why didn’t you try to stop it? You think it’s alright just because you were able to get through it and come back?” Cyril’s face was full of distress.

“You were really worried about me…Thank you.” I felt my heart warm at the thought of Cyril caring so much for my well-being.

“Shut up! It’d be a real pain if something happened to you.” The warmth quickly faded as I sighed.

“But I am glad that it was you that came to help. Hey Cyril. Do you think I could give you something to say thank you? You know, for saving me?” Cyril’s eyes widened at my suggestion.

“What are you talking about, idiot? Stop talking about me coming to help.” He embraces my head as he holds me firmly to his chest. I hear a low sigh escape his lips. “Don’t do such dangerous things. Tell me if you don’t like something.” It was my turn to feel surprised.

“Cyril?” I could feel his heart beat through his firm chest.

“I don’t want you to leave…I want to be able to see you. I can’t settle down without you.” A blush immediately crept up my cheeks. Both of our heart beats were in sync at a fast rate.

“I…know…” That was all I could muster as I tried to hold on to his sweet words. He isn’t usually so honest…

“You can use the other room too, but from today I’d like you to sleep in here. And you should go to sleep before me, and wake up after me. I want to always be able to check you’re there.” His embraces tightens slightly as he speaks softly.

Cyril is behaving differently than normal and it’s making me nervous. There’s no resistance in either his voice or embrace. The warmth in my chest comes back.

“And what was the other thing? I can’t remember.”

“Cyril, is there something else?” I tried to look at his face, but his arms prevented me from moving much. “It’s just that you seem different from normal, so I thought that maybe…” Before I could go on, Cyril interrupts me.

“Dammit…” It was barely a whisper that I only heard because of our embrace.

“I do not know how to say it, but it seems like you are kinder.” I began speaking then shut my mouth. My impression of Maynard keeps changing, and I cannot talk about it to Cyril. But Cyril seems to notice what I’m thinking without me saying it.

“You’re talking about him again?” I could almost hear the glare in his voice that I knew he was wearing on his face.

“I…I am sorry.”

“It doesn’t matter. No matter what I say, I can’t change the fact that I’m connected to that guy by blood. It’s still pretty annoying. He got things sorted out pretty quickly this time…He’s always going over my head.” Cyril’s soft and sweet voice has faded away.

“But is it not just the wisdom that comes with age? I am sure he has much more experience than you.” I tried to word things in a way that wouldn’t upset Cyril.

“But that’s no reason to play so cool, even though you’d prefer him to me.” He seemed somehow a bit depressed. I shake my head to his words. You’re wrong.

“I have not really thought about which one is good and which one is bad.”

“But you’re on his side.” I sighed. That is not at all what I am trying to convey, Cyril…

“Just because you only say negative things about him.” I nod to him in reassurance, since he cannot really see my face.

“Really…?”

“Yes. If Maynard said something negative about you, I would be on your side then.”

“I don’t need your support.” Cyril answered curtly. But did you not just say I was always favoring Maynard? “Hey…Do you like him better?” I look up, once again trying to see the kind of face Cyril is making. He suddenly runs his fingers over my forehead. “Stop staring at my face, idiot. Okay, how about a different question? What do you like about him?”

“What do I like?” I wonder if he is trying to get closer to Maynard through me. I can feel Cyril’s hand tighten around my shoulder. The first time he held me was tighter, but I could tell that he’s holding back. “This s just what I myself think is good I guess. What I like about Maynard…I guess I like his attitude towards others. I cannot really say what I like about it though. I mean, he calls out to people by name and chats with them.”

“Do you like people calling you by your name?”

“Huh? Well, yes. Of course I would prefer to be called my name rather than something else. Ah, I mean…I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the way you talk, Cyril. I know that you are just that type of person.”

“Shut up!” Ah. Wrong words again…

“If you say so…I think he was remembering when you were young. How you used to always put things in boxes?” I thought that maybe telling Cyril how Maynard talks about him, his opinion could lighten up at least a little.

“When was this?! Why are you talking about ancient history like that?” I tried hard not to laugh at Cyril’s words. Ancient history? As if you are that old!

“Does it not just mean that he has always been watching over you?”

“What are you talking about? Do you want to see us getting along?” I nod as an answer to his question.

“Well, I mean you are family…I know it is strange for me to be saying this. If you could, I would like for you both to get closer.” There was a pause of silence before Cyril spoke again, changing the subject. I sighed in defeat. Hard-headed.

“Are you free tomorrow?” He probably does not want to talk about it. Maybe I said too much. Without pushing any further, I once again answer with a now. “Well let’s go out. I’ve got somewhere I want to take you.” I felt surprised at his suggestion.

“Ah, okay.” I tried to hide my excitement, not wanting to show him how happy I was that he wanted to take me somewhere.

“I wonder if I should have taken you there sooner…I’m not sure about that.” Cyril seemed to be talking more to himself than me, but I was curious about what place he was thinking of.

“Where are you taking me?”

“You’ll see. You’ll see when you get there.” After saying that, the room falls to silence again. From what I could see of his face, he looked to be a bit lonely. I do not know what I should say at this point.