Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

A Ruined Dress

As we entered the ballroom, I took a quick survey of my surroundings. I could tell at a glance that there were people from numerous countries. Kaito wasn’t kidding! The nerves kicked in. Seeing the guest adorned in such beautiful clothing, I looked down at my own dress. I sighed. I felt out of place in such an extravagant and refined atmosphere.

“Indeed this is what you might expect from a party hosted personally by the Prince of Flanelia.” Prince?! Could that be… “It seems there are honored guests from other countries as well.” I wonder if that man from earlier is this prince. Lost in my thoughts, I was not paying attention to where I was going.

“Oh!” I bumped into somebody and spilled my drink on my dress. Oops! Why me??

“I’m sorry!” I look up at the soft, worried voice. “Are you alright? No…of course you aren’t.” As he bows continuously, his soft, light brown hair sways in front of my eyes. Was it just my imagination, or did his bright green eyes seem slightly moist? How cute and innocent! I shook my head at my thoughts, that is not what I should be thinking about. I ruined my dress!

“Yelisei, you must watch where you are walking.” Says a smooth, teasing voice. “I apologize that my brother has ruined your dress.” Brother? “If it is alright with you, I would like to prepare a new one. How does that suit you?” With a wry smile, the man tilts his head. He has shiny, platinum hair with one piece that forms a wave on the side of his face. The wave ends in a grey-ish tint. He has beautiful light purple eyes, which seem to holds coldness within them. Yet another handsome man.

“No, I could not ask you to prepare a new dress for me. It was my fault for not paying attention. Please do not worry about it.” I said sheepishly and bowed slightly.

“Yuri, Yelisei.” A man came up from behind the brothers. His voice was stern and protective. “Have you forgotten my request not to wander about on your own?” He had sleek, dark brown hair that covered a bit of his face and dark green eyes.

“Sasha, perfect timing. Can you prepare a new dress for the lady?” Yuri asks with a hint of a grin. He examines my dress along with a crestfallen Yelisei. With an expression of understand the situation, Sasha sighs.

“Very well.”

“Um, I really am alright.” I feel like such a burden and want to quickly end the night.

“Goodwill should be accepted graciously.” I hear Asena speak from behind me and become embarrassed at his words. I am grateful…Just do not want to impose.

“Huh? Is that you, Asena? What are you doing here?” Yuri spoke, tilting his head to look at Asena. Are they friends? Asena looks up as if to address an acquaintance. But slowly lowers his gaze towards me and shakes his head. “Hmm, never mind then.” I was confused, but Yuri faces me again and gives a small smile. “More importantly, you should hurry and change. There will be a dance party after this.”

I can’t dance… Before I can answer him, someone gently pushes my back. Asena. I feel anxious for Asena, but I followed after Sasha. Yuri cheerfully chooses a dress. He looks like he’s enjoying himself…

“Yuri, why did you tag along?” Sasha sounds strict and harsh.

“Because it is an older brother’s job to take care of his younger brother’s carelessness.” Yuri says in an amused tone. “Besides, I wanted to step out of the party for a while. The expectation in the ladies’ eyes frighten me.” I laughed quietly. He seems like the type to be smooth with the ladies.

“Quite arrogant. You assume those women desire you?” Ouch. Sasha really is so harsh, you can tell in his dark green eyes that he is not amused.

“It’s the truth.” Yuri says confidently. “There are many women who flock to my facial features and my influence.” I cannot argue with that fact that he is very handsome. But I wonder what kind of influence he has. “It seems the same cannot be said for you…” Yuri looked disappointed as his eyes shifted to the left.

“Did you say something?” Is he talking about me? I look at him questioningly.

“No, it’s nothing… Alright, this one I’m sure will suit you. Can you change into it?” Yuri points to a dress and my eyes open wide in shock. Wow.

“Th-this is too gorgeous! It looks really expensive…” I stared at the dress in awe. It was a champagne colored, floor-length, strapless dress. The glitter mesh bustier bodice was adorned with a silver beaded detail. The long, soft jersey skirt was light and airy.

“Appearance aside, I am a Prince of Rossiyskaya.” What? Another prince?! If his brother is Yelisei, that makes him a prince as well. So I have met three princes today and did not even realize it.

“What…?” As if to tease me, he peers into my face.

“Yuri!” Sasha seems very mad now.

“Can you not get upset? All I did was reveal my identity. However you look at it, she is an ordinary lady. It’s nothing to be concerned about.” Well yeah, I guess I really am not that special. But that was still pretty rude to say.

“That still doesn’t mean you should be giving out your title so carelessly.” Sasha is glaring at Prince Yuri, but Prince Yuri seems to pay no mind.

“She’ll find out when she returns to the party anyway.” Prince Yuri says matter-of-factly. He must be joking... “Come on, you don’t look so surprised. Go change. Why don’t you have her fix you up while you’re at it? Don’t worry, she works for me.” As I remain stunned by the sudden turn of events, the waiting woman bows her head. I’m guessing she is a personal make-up assistant.

“Call me when you’re done. I’ll come and see how beautiful you have become.” I blushed at Prince Yuri’s words. With that, Prince Yuri leaves.

The make-up assistant was swift with her movements. It wasn’t long before I was wearing the beautiful gown, which luckily fit me well. She fixed my hair up with some pins, simple but elegant and only gave my light make-up. At least I don’t feel completely out of myself, she kept it simple. The dress though… At that moment, she called in Prince Yuri to see the finished product.

“Even better than I expected. It suits you well.” Prince Yuri returns and gave me a small smile. I blushed, not used to being complimented. His fingers touch my newly arranged hair. With natural movement, he brings a piece to his lips. My heart skipped a beat as I blushed a deep red. Oh…

“U-um!” I felt so embarrassed by his actions.

“No need to be so flustered.” Easy for him to say… “But, your response makes me want to tease you more.” Huh? That smile just now. Even as he flashes a grin, there is something odd about his smile. “Ah! That’s right, I haven’t asked for your name yet. Let me introduce myself, I am Yuri Rossiyskaya. You can call me Yuri. You?” The darkness in his glance disappeared. Weird. He looks like someone who is hard to figure out.

“I am Risa Minasaki.” I said shyly and bowed my head.

“Risa is it… it’s not a name I’ve heard in our country, however it is beautiful.” He sure knows how to woo women, no wonder he said they flock to him. “Nice to meet you Risa.” As he says this, he stretches out his hand to me.

Without much thought, I take his hand and he squeezes gently. I shiver at the coldness of his hand. “Is my hand cold?”

“A little.” I giggled lightly.

“Why are you laughing?” Yuri looked surprised.

“I just thought it was the same as Rossiyskaya.”

“Do you dislike cold countries?” I shook my head no. “They say that people from countries like have warm hearts.” I smiled.

“You are a kind person.” He says happily. He’s still holding my hand… I just realized this as he draws his face close to mine. Yuri… “After this, will you do your rounds with Asena?” He whispered gently in my ear and I shivered.

“Yes.” I nodded, flustered.

“That’s unfortunate. If you had said ‘no’, I would have taken his place.” My eyes widened.

“What?”

“I’m joking.” I sighed at his words. He sure likes to tease. Regardless of whether he was joking or not, Prince Yuri’s smile is unreadable. Again with that expression. “Well, let’s return to the party then. I am also waiting on an acquaintance. But would you mind if I accompanied you until then?”

“I’d be honored.” On that note, we reentered the ballroom. Back to reality.