Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

A Suspicious Person

“Where are you going?” He cannot just leave me here, what am I supposed to do?

“Wait here.” He spoke sternly and I sighed.

“D-don’t just leave me alone like this…” I felt nervous. This is not a place I am used to being in, I feel so small and awkward.

“Hey, I won't be that long. You’ll be fine, right?” He spoke to me as if I was a child. So to avoid more of that, I just nod. “ Oh, let me tell you something before I go. If you happen to meet a weird, suspicious person…Ignore them.” I looked at him confused, tilting my head.

“Suspicious person? What??” But before I could get an answer, he left. Ugh, he’s gone. I wish he didn’t just leave… Still not really grasping everything that just happened, I stand there alone. There is no one around, and I am at a loss.

“Lost in the palace, miss?” Correction, there is someone else.

“U-um, you are…That man from the party, I remember.” I looked at the man who joined me, he was the older red-head I met at the party while waiting for Prince Cyril.

“Hm? Oh yes, we have met before. Thanks for remembering me.” He bowed and I nodded. “Ah yes, I did not tell you my name. I am Maynard. Would you do me the honor of telling me your name as well?” He is so polite!

“Risa Minsaki.” I bowed and smiled.

“Little Risa, then.” Wha?? My cheeks flushed pink at the nickname. “I do so hate formalities.” He smiles mischievously. I remember what Prince Cyril said about a weird person. Perhaps he meant this person? Although he is friendly, some might call it too friendly. I can see where the ‘suspicious’ comes from. “Little Risa, what are you doing here? It is not possible to just wander in here.”

“I am trying to understand what is going on too…Sorry.” I bowed apologetically.

“Oh, no need to apologize. But not everyone can get in here. Either someone let you in, or…” Mr. Maynard looked amused as he tried to figure out how I got here.

“Or?” I looked at him questioningly. What is he thinking?

“Or, you are a new bride candidate. That would make sense.” My eyes widened. Bride candidate?!

“Huh?” He looks me in the eye as he grasps my hand and kisses the back of it lightly. A soft smile on his face. My face turned bright red at his sudden action. I panic and shake my hand loose. “Wh-what are you doing?!”

“Oh, don’t be such a stranger dear. You are here to marry me, after all.” My breath hitched in my throat. This is the third time today that a man has told me I am marrying him!! I could not believe my ears and felt like I could faint.

“N-no I am not! Please do not misunderstand! There is another reason I am here!” I spoke quickly, trying to explain myself.

“I’m wrong?” Mr. Maynard looked genuinely surprised. “Impossible. I cannot think of any other possible reason.”

“I’m sorry, but you are wrong. Really.” I was not trying to sound rude, but I did not want another misunderstanding.

“Hmmm? Well, that is a little disappointing.” He rests his hand on my head and ruffles my hair. He stops and I look up, greeted with a bright smile. So handsome… His generous smile strips away all my words. “Well either way, feel free to call me Maynard. It must be some sort of fate that we have met again.”

“Okay. Nice to meet you again, Mr. Maynard.” I bowed slightly, smiling.

“Whoa, stop that. You do that, little Risa, and I will just have to go all out.” I froze in place. Wh-what is that supposed to mean…?! He had a mischievous glint in his eye.

“But I am younger than you…” I said, blushing once again.

“Do not mind that. I am still a young man on the inside. Come on, say ‘Maynard’.” He tried encouraging me.

“May…Mr. Maynard.” I could not bring myself to call him so casually. He laughs heartily and messes with my hair again. Just when I thought he had given up, he traces my cheek with his finger. I hope he doesn’t notice how red my cheeks have gotten on my pale skin.

“Try again.”

“Maynard…” I said, convincing myself it was just a word. He smiles brightly and I feel embarrassed.

“Ah, women are the best! They listen to even an old man like me!” He exclaims, smiling wildly.

“I had the feeling you would not let it go otherwise.” I sighed, feeling exhausted. Although, he is keeping me company and from feeling lonely.

“Ha ha! You could tell? I told you, I hate formalities.” He was amused.

“Yes, I could.” I could not help but giggle a bit at how excited he appears.

“If I was being greedy, I would try to do something about that skittishness of yours. But I think I’d hit resistance, no?”

“Well, we have only just met…” I am too shy…

“Well, I will let it go for now. You sure are a restrained one.” He showed a hint of smile.

“Thank you very much?” Not sure if that was a compliment or not.

“So, Little Risa, what are you doing here?” I did not realize we got completely off topic as Maynard asks his original question once more. “Did someone bring you here?” I nodded.

“Some random stranger brought me here…” I started my story.

“Oh? Who? A man? A woman?”

“A young man. He, um, was not the type to listen to others.” I explained to him the whole story of what happened on my first eventful night here at Ingrays. He listens with a wry smile, a sharp glint in his eyes. He is really into my story… I realized he has a wealth of expressions. I took a deep breath as I finished my story.

“Oh, I see. You sure got mixed up in something annoying. I can see why the prince need to throw you a life preserver. Little Risa, you may have really ended up marrying the man otherwise.” He thought to himself before speaking again. “…So. Engaged, huh?” He strokes his chin and looks up. Then narrows his eyes. “Was there really no other option…? What is he thinking?”

“Do you know Prince Cyril? I have not managed to thank him for his help yet.” Maynard glanced back at me.

“Know him? Why…No, it will be more fun to keep quiet.” I looked at him skeptically. What? Fun, how?? I was confused. “Little Risa, I have a proposal. Why don’t you pretend to be a bride candidate for me?”

“Wh-why are you bringing that up again?!” He cannot be serious!

“I have got a little more interest in you now, Little Risa.” He draws closer to my face and I blush. What is going on right now? He grabs my chin faster than I can move. His one red eye stares me down. “Little Risa, we can have a fun marriage. Why don’t you marry me?”

“I-I…!” Before I can even muster up words to say, Prince Cyril finally returns. Maynard and I turn towards him, and he is clearly not happy. His arms are folded as he glares at me.

“Keep your crazy ideas to yourself.” I sigh in relief as Maynard removes his hand from my chin. “She’s my fiancé.” Whaa?! I could not believe my ears, it was as if he was jealous of Maynard’s words. He got protective really quickly.

“What is this sudden news?How come you did not tell me?” Maynard asks, curious.

“I have no need to tell you anything.” I watched as Prince Cyril spoke harshly to Maynard. Then I realized...

“W-wait! I thought it was just a means to get that man off my back?” But no one answers my question. And the prince looks at us displeased.

“…You. If you met someone suspicious I told you to ignore them, didn’t I?” He looked at me. I shifted in my spot.

"I forgot." I said sheepishly.

"This is why you almost get dragged into strange marriages. Pay attention. It's your life, you know." Prince Cyril sighs heavily.

“I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay.” He says awkwardly and I sigh in relief. I don’t need him angry with me.

"Wow, suspicious? That is a little harsh." Maynard mused.
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit shorter than the last couple chapters, but you got to meet the other attractive red-head with his eyepatch!
:)