Status: Ongoing

Cinderella Contract

A Red-Faced Prince

I have a difficult time finding Cyril, who has made his way to his room. After all, this castle is obviously still very new to me. I was not even shown around really… When I finally find it, I am surprised at how plain his room is. His walls are a chocolate brown with gold trimming and molding, he has a white bed with a black headboard that also has gold trimming and big red curtains.

All Cyril did was look up and remain quiet. Maybe I should speak first. But what should I say? I thought. A loud sigh interrupts my thoughts. I jump in surprise.

“Don’t you dare choose him…” Cyril is looking at me with a grumpy face, which is kind of cute.

“Wh-what?” I guess he means Maynard.

“I’m telling you, don’t choose Maynard.” I looked at him.

“Do you mean, because the one I choose becomes the next crown prince? But that was a joke, was it not…?” There is no way the king would really entrust a stranger and a commoner with that decision. Right?

“Joke or not, don’t choose him. I’ll hate you forever if you choose him.” Cyril says rather childishly. Hate me? Cryril approaches me.

He grabs my stiff shoulders and pushes me against the wall. Wh-what is he doing?! “I have an idea. Why not pretend to choose him, then betray him at the last minute. That would probably hurt him the most.” I felt surprised at his words. Does he really hate Maynard that much?

“Cyril…” I began to speak, but Cyril cut me off quickly.

“You’ll abandon him, just after he falls for you. If you do that, then…” Cyril’s scarlet eyes are on me but they appear distant. Swallowing hard, I ask the question that has been swimming in my mind.

“Maynard is your father, isn’t he? Why do you hate him so?” I was truly confused and curious.

“That bastard is no father of mine.” He says with resentment dripping from his words. His face immediately scrunches up, his brows stitched together. His red eyes shake like flames, his words piercing me like a sword.

“Does this have anything to do with what you just said? When you said…it was not just your mother…”

“Forget that.” Cyril’s face softened only a bit as he spoke quickly. “That’s irrelevant.”

“Is it really irrelevant?” It does not appear to be something to just throw to the side. He looks really upset.

“To you, it is.” Harsh…

“Then, what about you, Cyril?” Maybe I am prying too much, but I am curious.

“That’s none of your business…”

“You need me to do something about Maynard, right? Why, then…” I do not really want to harm anyone…

“Don’t get ahead of yourself. There are plenty who could replace you.” I felt a pang in my chest with the realization that I am just disposable. I got angry.

“Then get one of those people to help you! Get someone who actually loves you to help you!” I let my feelings slip out, unable to hide them. My eyes meet with Cyril’s surprised gaze. His grip on my shoulders tighten as his face scrunches up once again.

“It was convenient for you. So…I don’t want to give up on marriage. Wouldn’t you prefer to live without this following you around?”

“But…there are others, right?” Even though I was not exactly excited to be in this situation, I could not help but feel hurt.

“But you’re good enough.” Suddenly Cyril’s grip loosen. Instead, he puts his head on my shoulders. “Should I have said there’s only you?” I remained silent. “I won’t. No way!” He pierces me with his sharp, determined gaze. “If you want me to say it, then I’ll give it a go.”

“I do not want you to say it to someone you do not really like.” I said earnestly. He sighed.

“Not that again…” He’s annoyed. “You always contradict me. It’s not cute.” I scoffed.

“Huh? Not cute?!” His seemingly thoughtless words keep running through my head. I suddenly become strangely aware that he has no intention of saying those things. When I remember that Cyril’s face is right there in front of me, I automatically blush. Why??

“Why are you turning red? What…what did I just say?” Cyril diverts his gaze as his cheeks redden. Huh? I can see the color draining away from his hands. He seems extremely embarrassed. “Why do you have to be embarrassed?”

“I’m…I’m no…I thought…Well, you were very close to me.” I could barely get the words out. Cyril’s face turned almost a red as his scarlet hair.

“You could’ve said that before!” He jumps away from me, yelling out. I feel ashamed and cannot look Cyril in the eye. “Don’t say things like that. It’s stupid.”

“You said you will not say it, then you said you will. Which one is it?” I questioned, still not looking him in the eye.

“I can think for myself, idiot! I’ve had enough, go away! I don’t want to see your face now.” Cyril pulls on my arm. His unrestrained grip hurts me. Ow!

“Cyril, that hurts… You told me to get out, so I will go.” I stared at the arm he was gripping so tightly. Still avoiding his eyes.

“It hurts? What hurts?” All the red in his face was gone.

“You holding my arm like that!” His not realizing he was hurting me got me upset.

“This…?” He looked down in complete wonder. I thought his grip was intentional, but it looks like I was wrong. Finally Cyril loosens his grip. “You…You were being disobedient.” Disobedient?! What! I sighed heavily.

“If you say something to me, I promise I will listen.”

“Be more careful from now on.” As he says that, Cyril pushes me out of the room. How rude! However, his pained expression left a mark on me.

I am glad to be left alone, and I head outside of the palace. Although Cyril said he would contact me at home and at work…or perhaps because of that I find it difficult to be obedient. I am too later for the plane that I had planned on taking, but I could get a ticket anytime. I could leave this country right away. If I could go now I could make it in time. That is what I thought anyway.

It looks like it really got around…The news is all about Cyril. I look up to see a huge screen in front of me. Cyril is on the 24 hour news channel. They are images from when he was on official business sometime, he looks lovelier on the screen than he does in real life. Only because his normally harsh eyes are not glaring on the screen…

“Marry Prince Cyril…” I whispered to myself. His partner is from a foreign country. I gaze in surprise at the newscaster, as if she is talking about someone else. The next moment, the image suddenly changes. I do not know when it was taken, but an image of me appears on the screen. I gasped. It is not a clear image, I am slightly out of focus, but I can tell it is definitely me. How… I feel like I had cold water thrown over me, and I freeze in place.

Just then… “Excuse me… Do you mind is I ask you a few questions?”

“Huh!” I turn to see a man with a notepad and camera behind him.

“Ah, it’s you!” The press…. I know I do not need to run, but before I realize it I have run away. I can hear a panicked voice behind me. I go to a crowd so thick I disappear into it. The road is rough and rocky. Someone from the media already found me. I managed to escape somehow…But I hope everything is okay.

I turn around, wondering if I am being followed. But I do not see anyone. I sigh in relief. I am not…being followed? I thought they would be more persistent. Sighing, I drop my gaze. I realize now that I was wrong to think things would work out. I just should have done what Cyril told me. I do not think I can escape this terminal marriage.

“Hey, is that…?” I hear a woman’s voice.

“Really? How can you be sure?” A second woman speaks.

“Is it really her?” Are they talking about me? I instantly cower a bit at the two women speaking.

“I just saw her on TV.” Maybe I should talk it out…I still do not know Cyril at all.

“Excuse me! Are you Prince Cyril’s…That woman on TV, that’s you, right?” Amidst the pounding footsteps and chattering voices, one voice rings out loudly. With an eerie silence, the crowd around me seems to vanish.

“Huh? What did you just say?” A man asks, probably hearing the woman’s questions.

“You know, it was on the news this morning.” Yet another woman… Why are they all joining in??

“Oh yeah, that! But she would never be here of all places! Isn’t it just a lookalike?” I silently thanked the second man for doubting I am the supposed bride to the prince. I hope everyone believe him. Voices raise up again, bringing the sea of chattering back. All eyes are on me. Eyes filled deep with suspicion.

“But I am…” I said lowly. Not that I want to be…
♠ ♠ ♠
Cyril is not an easy one to deal with, that's for sure! And now a nosy crowd, Risa cannot escape!

Thank you readers and any new subscribers :)

Comment and subscribe~