Every Day Feels Like a War

I'm Not The Messiah

Rain poured heavily on the asphalt as Andy staggered, his long black and silver sword dragging across the road. His hair dripped over his face, ash grey wings slumped behind him. His chest rose and fell with each labored breath as he took one weak step after another.
20 years. It had been 20 years. The night was going great. He and his friend were out to see a movie.... She went to get some popcorn while he got the seats...
And it happened.

"Andy!" He heard Scout wail.
Andy bolted from the theater and to the lobby, horrified. "Let her go!" He demanded, wings snapping out.
The hooded man tilted his head and held Scout tighter. "But she's so pretty." He said sickly.
"Put her down!" He pulled his sword out of thin air and ran after him as he went outside.
"This doll is going to be my new host." He cooed, gripping her neck. "I'll just fix her up once we're done here." He snapped his fingers and Scouts body went limp.
"What are you doing?! Tell me! Who are you?!" Andy demanded, standing still as a statue.
"Why, I'm the Devil, Andrew." The man appeared behind him and breathed in his ear, Scouts body disappearing.


Andy found himself walking faster in the direction he didn't even know he was going in. Then... he stopped. He lifted his head, eyes closed as he muttered some words under his breath. His eyes suddenly snapped open. Calm stormy blue, yet raging with fire and wild as he opened his mouth to emit a loud battle cry.
The shadowy figure that had stood before him chuckled darkly and vanished as the sword sliced through the clouds that mimicked its form.
"Show yourself!" Andy raged, pulling his doubled-blade sword out. "You coward!"
Andy whirled around wildly in search of the shadow man. The two ends of his weapon glowed; one blue and one red. They spewed fire and sparks of ice as he charged in the direction of another dark laughter.
"Coward? I'm simply toying with you, Andrew. You are the true coward." The voice mused. "The look on your face... Oh, absolutely priceless. I've waited a millenium for a chance like this."
"You bastard!" Andy cried out again, moving his blades in every direction imaginable in his blind rage. "Show yourself and fight me!"
"I have been." Was all the voice said before Andys body stiffened. The blade fell to the asphalt, vanishing into thin air as Andy fell to his knees. "You just haven't been fighting back."

The world around Andy seemed to slow down, the rain drops falling harder and making large splashes against the ground.
Time slowed down all at once for Andy, yet everything sped up.
He wasn't sure where he was anymore.
He wasn't sure who he was anymore.
He wasn't sure what was going on.
Andy lifted himself from the ground and looked around. It was day time already? He looked at the rosary around his neck and began to walk.

20 years later, Andy found himself standing in the same place. Same street, same corner, same time. Except this time for a different reason. This time it was because he was on tour with his band, Black Veil Brides.
"Andy? You ready?" Their tour manager, Jon, put a hand on his back, despite him being notably shorter.
"Yeah." Andy smiled. "I'll be in a minute."
Jon nodded and went back inside. Andy looked back at the street.
No one in the band or crew knew who he really was, or what he was, rather.
No one in the world knew, and they never would.
Andy found it ironic how the world of religion preached about the higher power of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit; how they thought that what they presented themselves as mattered in the end. That wasn't true at all. Not for Andy, at least. Andy was the 'Holy Spirit'. He was a protector... He fought off the demons of the world and did all that he could.
Sometimes at night he would sit on the roof of the bus and listen. The sounds of tortured cries and screams would echo in his head, balanced out by the happy giggles and laughter.
This was what he lived for. He lived to protect.
Sure, by day he was a singer in a rock band. But any other time of the day he was fighting.
"Andy!" he turned and saw Ashley, the bands bassist. "C'mon! We're on in ten!"
Andy smiled and jogged inside. The roar of the crowd filled him with adrenaline as he appeared on stage.
This is what he lived for.

"How are you, Los Angeles?!" He shouted. The crowd roared. "I can't hear you!"
They screamed louder. Andy cued the guys in for Rebel Love Song and pranced to Jake, throwing an arm around him as he sang the song. He danced around, belting the words.
"Now... Los Angeles. This is the city of Angels." Andy said after quieting the room down. They began to holler again. Andy laughed and put a finger to his lips. "So.. I want you all to do something for me. Repeat after me: Scream!"
The audience repeated the word in excitement when they realized what song was next.
"Shout!"
"Shout!" The crowd echoed.
"We are the fallen angels." Andy sang and the intro started.

He began to tease the audience, licking the microphone and dancing when he wasn't singing. After the guitar solo he held the microphone out for the audience to shout for him while he rested his voice.
"The city of Angels indeed.." a voice spoke in Andys mind, causing him to freeze. "How ironic."
The room went black and the concert disappeared. He was falling. His wings were outstretched but not working. The microphone had become his default black and silver blade, arms out as well.
He was falling...
Was he dreaming?
Was he actually falling?
What was happening?
Voices. Muffled voices.
Where was he?
He opened his eyes and looked around. He was laying on the stage, he realized, and saw the audience looking at him, concerned.
Andys eyes widened. He sat up and looked at his hand. He had the microphone- not a sword. And his wings were nowhere to be seen. Good.

"Andy!" Ashley, who was knelt beside him, announced in relief. "Oh my god, are you okay?"
"What- what happened?" Andy rubbed his head.
"You just passed out." Ashley frowned. "C'mon. I'm taking you back to the hotel."
Andy nodded and let Ashley pick him up. He laid limply against him, not sure if he was just over tired or if it was really happening again...
He was coming back.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit; Crown of Thorns by Black Veil Brides