No Safe Place

Chapter Two

Finally, she decided to venture out of the inn and past the massive stone gate guarding the remains of the Dwarven city.

"Halt, citizen." A guard called. She stopped turning on her heels to face the man only to find the smirking face of Merek. "Out for an evening stroll?"

"The inn was too confining." She admitted returning the grin.

"Did you even leave your room?" Merek laughed matching her stride as she continued to walk.

"Gods, no!" She threw her hands up. "The innskeepers argue continuously. It stressed me out just looking at them."

"They can never be nice to each other." He stifled another laugh. Phynlii noticed the other guards watching them as they strolled by.

"You aren't going to get into trouble for being around me, are you?" She nodded towards the double takes.

"My shift ended an hour ago. I tend to stay outside the walls. Even for a Nord, Markarth is a hateful city. Not to mention, it is Imperial governed. Of all places to be assigned." He sighed. "But the soldiers are just not accustomed to seeing decent looking women out past the wall after dark."

Her cheeks warmed to a light pink against her palor, but her curiosity brushed the color back from her face. She remembered that the men inside the walls wore a different armor. "Soldiers, you say?"

"Indeed. I lead a small battallion of Stormcloak soldiers. Markarth is still ran by Imperials though." He sighed with distaste.

"So, Talos is banned here, I assume." The Breton arched a curious brow towards the Stormcloak.

"After the Markarth Incident, Jarl Igmund urged peace with the Thalmor. The Shrine to Talos has since been abandoned. Just collecting dust." Sadness covered the Nord's features.

"Would you show me? The shrine, I mean?" An adventurous smile spread across her face as he threw her a questionig glance.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble you are asking to get in?" He chuckled lightly.

"Who said anything about getting caught?" She countered raising her brow once more before challenging him. "I thought Nords were all about the adventure."

"You found the right Nord." He accepted grabbing her hand leading her back into the city.

________________

Nestled under the all temple of Dibella was a small cobweb covered shrine to the forgotten divine, Talos. His statue was a pulchritudinous use of stone. The man god stood with his head protected by an immaculate winged helm and his boot to a serpent dragon's throat. His face the definition of calm as he prepare to take its life.

Merek kneeled before his verboten hero-god whispering praise as Phynlii raised her hand and rubbed the smooth stone he had been chiseled from. All th hair on the back of hr neck stood on end as if lightning had just shot through her causing her to imediatly pull her hand back. She rubbed it cautiously as she felt overstimulated. Phynlii then turned in the direction of the door as she could hear the murmur of hasty coversations out in th streets.

"Do you hear that?" She peered over her leather clad shoulder at Merek. His eyebrows raised in immediate confusion.

"Hear what?" He asked. "We're the only ones down here. These walls are solid rock. You couldn't possibly…"

Phynlii sarcastically pointed at her long Mer-like ears as the huge Dwarven door swung open. There stood a scowling Altmer in Justiciar robes and two others in Elven gold armor directly behind him.

"Talos worship is strictly forbidden." He pointed to her Stormcloak friend.

"Wait!" The Breton urged as the two guards walked towards Merek conjuring their swords. "I asked him/to bring me here. Strictly on a historical venture. There is absolutely no need to take lethal force."

"I am Ondolemar." He mouthed never taking his eyes from Merek as he completely ignored Phynlii's pleas."You have the honor of addressing a member of the Thalmor. Bask in it."

"Why would I bask in your ridiculous arrogance?" Phynlii sneered at him. She suddenly conjured fire as the two warriors stepped closer to Merek. "Seriously, get away from him."

"What business does a halfbood have giving any Thalmor orders?" One chortled as they bound Merek's wrists. He knew it was better to not fight them in this corrupted city that obeyed their heresy towards his beloved Talos.

"Stand down, Breton." Ondolemar commanded.

"No. Get away from Merek!" Phynlii felt a rush of warmth down her arm as she threw the firebolt in their direction. Instantly she threw up a greater ward holding the three elves off as she released Merek from his binds. The warriors pushed and hacked at the magical boundary until Phynlii had been drained. The ward disappeared and she collapsed to the ground as Ondolemar began swearing orders at his guards.

She found herself standing before the jarl in Understone Keep. He looked quite aggravated to be drug from his slumber.

"Jarl Igmund, you know that the worship of Talos is illegal as per the White-Gold Concordat." Ondolemar screeched.

"Could these matters not have until morning?" He yawned as he slouched on his throne.

"She deserves to be thrown into Cidhna Mine!" The Mer demanded.

"Sir, politics aside, she's not even from Skyrim. She was simply curious about the Shrine of Talos. If I wanted to worship Talos, I would in Windhelm where it is welcomed." Merek narrowed his eyes at the elf before meeting the sleepy gaze of the jarl.

"You just wait, you little.." Ondolemar spat at the mention of Windhelm.

"With all due respect, Jarl Igmund, I am of noble descent in High Rock and an ally to many of our neighbors in Hammerfell. To throw me into some mine for committing no crime will surely bring unwanted quarrel to your beloved Markarth."m Phynlii spoke with a gently yet threatening tone.

"I agree, Breton." The jarl answered arching an eyebrow letting it be known he detected her threat. "But while I feel this is a petty matter, it is probably best that both of you leave our city with haste before more quarrel finds you."

"Understood, sir." Merek complied nodding.

__________________________________

Thank Julianos for giving her wit. And Merek, too. Phynlii smiled at her thought. Both of their quick thinking had kept her from rotting in the bottom of Cidhna Mine. As they left Understone Keep, she noticed a man cutting his eyes is her direction as if he were studying her.

"That's Thonar Silver-Blood. He owns Cidhna Mine. While he will likely run Markarth as jarl if the Stormcloaks ever occupy it, something about the man doesn'nt sit right with me. You don't want to meddle with that one. He basically already runs the city right under Igmund's nose." Merek pulled her by her wrist because she had stopped due to the Nord's disturbing stare.

"I have a feeling he's not that friendly then." She freed her wrist rubbing it gently. He continued out past the wall while she quickly stopped by the inn to gather her things. She found a sealed letter near her belongings. She shrugged thinking the innkeeper may have delivered it to her. Maybe it was from Andastyr. She stuffed it into her knapsack making a mental note to read it once she was in a friendlier atmosphere.

She finally met Merek near the stables where he was holding Britta's reigns for her. He seemed oddly quiet. Almost somber.

"I'm not sure where to go now… " She broke the silence between them. "Igmund acted like I may be pursued after that incident."

"I have been summoned back to Windhelm. Ulfric has returned from a recent tragedy in Helgen. You can accompany me if you wish, but I will warn you now that Windhelm isn't the friendliest towards anyone who isn't of Nord blood." Merek offered as they followed another path winding out of the Reach.

"Returned from what tragedy?" Phynlii inquired further.

"According to the message I recieved, a dragon attacked Helgen where Ulfric had been taken by the Legion to execute."

"Wait, dragon?" Phynlii laughed with a hint of disbelief. "Like Akatosh, you mean?"

"They believe it to be Alduin, the World Eater, actually. Akatosh's first born." He answered with a serious tone.

"Looks like I chose the best time to come to Skyrim." Phynlii smiled.

"You're a strange one, miss." Merek smiled shaking his head slightly.

Slightly startling Britta, Phynlii threw her hands up in surprise. "Why is that?"

"Most women, people in general, would shutter at the fact that a dragon attack is likely," He looked at her with a somewhat admiring gaze. "But you welcome it. You seemed quite thrilled at the chance actually."

No one in Jehenna, let alone all of High Rock, would know what to think! And if I brought back a scale or a tooth, they'd probably fall out." She was giddy with excitement. This trip was proving to be more of an adventure than she had originally hoped for.

"Or, y'know, you could die. Aye, there's always that." He shrugged sarcastically.

"Oh, what happened to finding 'the right Nord', huh?" She mocked him as they continued forth.

"Maybe one day I will show you how to take down a dragon with your bare hands." He flexed laughing as Phynlii playfully pushed him away chuckling as well. They continued a day without stopping to rest when they finally stumbled upon Whiterun. "Why don't we take rest her for the night? This is a decent enough place for you if you decide not to continue to Windhelm with me." He offered as they approached the guards at the large gate.

"Halt, no-." The guard started but Merek handed him a coin purse as he strolled into the city anyways.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback is always appreciated.