I'm Haunted. (By Her).

002. A Friend in Me.

2008

Tate and I were spending the day in our old room, just talking and hanging out. We had just learned from Moira that a new family was moving in. A mother, a father, a young boy, a teenage girl and a baby on the way. This place was about to be crowded.

"I don't know what you and Nora are up to, but please leave me out of it. I love you both dearly, but you are both so sneaky..." I told Tate, as he chuckled softly.

"You're so stuck in the past, Sara. It's not 1976 anymore. You don't have to be the hippie good girl next door. Shake loose will you?"

I just made my way downstairs to see if Moira was in the kitchen. It wouldn't belong before we would no longer be able to move about freely in the house. That was always my biggest pet peeve.

Families were the worst. The house was always crowded, loud and I could never find a comfortable place to be alone. Most of us ghosts stayed in the basement.

Moira was different. She could always play the part of the old, sweet maid. She could portray her older self to women and children. The men usually always saw the sexy, young Moira. I liked both, but just knowing she was a wiser women made it weird for me to sometimes cuddle with her.

I was born in a different time. Love was love and you slept with or loved anyone you wanted. Boy or girl.

I liked Moira just fine. As I was one of the older ghosts, most people got along with me. As one of the children ghosts, I hardly had any say in what happened.

Tate had become my best friend since the first time I made myself visible to him when he was thirteen.

1990

A teenaged boy is crying on his bed. He has a razor blade to his wrist, and a loud Mudhoney CD playing in his disc Walkman. I feel his pain radiating off of him. His sobs make my heart break. I feel such a connection with him.

I knew it was time to make myself visible to Tate. Slowly, I took the razor blade from his hands. Taking off his headphones, he looks at me confused.

"Who are you?" Tate asks, sniffling.

I wipe his tears away and take him into my arms. Consoling him felt so natural. After all these years of watching him grow up, I could tell what kind of man he would become. Poor Tate was so messed up because of his mother.

"Tate...I'm Noras friend. I'm Sara. I'm going to be your friend."

Tate smiled slightly and hugged me harder. He knew then he could always trust me...

...and he still can to this day.