RockFan

10

Adrienne's POV

"You're an only child? What was that like?" Billie Joe asked me, seemingly quite curious.

I shrugged, "I hated it, it was lonely."

"You weren't over-doted on?"

"Of course," I said, "I hated that too!"

He laughed, "I guess I had it easy. By the time my mom had me she didn't care what I did, she'd already raised five other kids and I think she was just over parenting."

"You look like you turned out okay," I said.

He smiled, "I've always been fiercely independent, even as a kid. It's sort of a blessing my mother never hovered over me, it allowed me to make a career out of what I love."

"You think if she had kept a closer eye on you as a kid Green Day wouldn't exist?" I asked.

"Maybe not. Fortunately, she's really proud of me, and supportive," Billie Joe said.

"What time are you leaving tomorrow?"

"Ten in the morning. I wish now that I didn't have to go so soon. What are your plans for the weekend?"

"Oh, just typing up this interview and making it into a published-worthy article," I said.

"Everything I just said right now, was that on record?"

"No, no way. One, I don't have my voice recorder, and two, I've already got plenty of material from earlier to work with."

Billie Joe nodded and swayed back and forth on his swing. A silence fell between us, each of lost in our own minds, if only for a few seconds. Then, he spoke again.

"Have you ever been to California?" Billie Joe asked.

"No."

"Would you like to see it?"

"Well, sure, someday. Why?" I asked.

"How 'bout tomorrow? I'll get you a round-trip ticket, you can be back here by Monday morning?"

"I don't know, I mean, won't you be too busy for a tagalong?"

"Not really. We don't have that much to do this weekend except to pack and get ready to go on tour. Since I practically live out of a suitcase, even at home, I don't have that much packing to do."

"I can't really afford a-"

"Adrienne, don't worry about it. It's on me," he said, reaching over and taking my cold hand in his. Somehow, his hand felt warm.

I looked over at him and smiled, "Okay, but I really need to be back here Monday morning, or else Tim will think I sold your interview to NME and he'll track me down and kill me."

"Yeah, he seemed like a pretty uptight dude."

I shrugged, "He's okay, really, just very...emotional," I said, picking my adjective for my boss carefully.

"Look, I'll work on getting you a seat on our flight, all you need to do is pack," he told me.

"Okay. You want to come back to my apartment, where it's not much warmer but at least there's hot cocoa?"

Billie Joe chuckled, "Yeah, sure. I'd love that."