RockFan

12

Adrienne's POV

I awoke to a gentle nudge against my side, I opened my eyes and saw Billie Joe looking down at me, smiling. I smiled back up at him, noticing he was already dressed.

"Hey, beautiful, we need to get going soon. We should be at the airport early," he said. I nodded and pushed myself up, I rubbed my eyes then hopped out of bed. Billie Joe left the bedroom to give me privacy while I changed my clothes from the night before.

"Hope you don't mind," he called from the kitchen, "I made some coffee."

I smiled, it smelled like a strong pot of it too, "No, thanks. What time did you get up anyway?"

"Uh, too early," he groaned. I giggled at his response as I pulled my jeans on.

I figured I might as well throw a quick bag of clothes together in a small luggage bag. I would be spending so little time in California that I hardly needed anything except my makeup, my voice recorder, and my laptop. Tim was expecting me to have the Green Day interview ready to publish by Monday, and I planned on working on it the entire duration of my to-and-from flights. After whipping through my hair with a brush, freshening up in the bathroom, and applying my makeup, I finally met Billie in the kitchenette.

"Excited?" Billie asked, while I poured some coffee into a thermos.

I glanced over at him and grinned, "Yeah, I can't wait! I've only ever been to Wisconsin, that's it, so going to Cali is huge for me. I've never seen the ocean before."

"Well, you'll see plenty of it, and our bay," he said. I looked at him, he was leaning against the kitchen counter looking at me.

"Did you sleep okay?" I asked, still feeling a bit awkward about our sleeping arrangement last night.

"Yeah, you've got a nice bed," he said, smiling. His smile made me feel relieved, and all the awkwardness I had felt disappeared.

"Shut up, I know you're used to your king-sized bed," I kidded him.

"Oh, yeah, you have no idea. The bed is huge, but the thing is, I never sleep in the middle. I always sleep on the left side, and somehow I regularly roll onto the floor."

"Why not just sleep in the middle?" I asked him, giggling.

He shrugged, "I don't know, it just doesn't feel right."

"Maybe you miss someone sleeping on the right side?" I suspected out loud, thinking perhaps a serious girlfriend had left him lonely.

"No, that's not it. I think I'm just practicing, for when someone is sleeping on the right side. Or maybe I'm pretending they already are," Billie explained.

"That's really sweet," I said, internally gushing over his sensitivity and honesty.

Billie Joe chuckled, "Yeah, and kinda delusional."

*
Billie Joe's POV

I spotted Bill up ahead and walked hand-in-hand with Adrienne briskly, well, as briskly as we could in a crowded airport, toward him. Mike, who was next to Bill, saw us coming and gestured in our direction. Bill turned towards us and gave me a scolding glance, then his eyes switched to Adrienne and his expression softened.

Finally, we reached them, "Hey," I said, "Sorry, we're a little late."

"Only fifteen minutes," Bill said, which was unlike him to be easy-going about tardiness. I figured it had to do with Adrienne's presence.

"Hi, guys. Hey, Bill, thanks for getting my ticket and everything," Adrienne said.

"Yeah, sure, no problem. So, is this part of the article?" Bill asked. But before Adrienne could respond, Tre popped up.

"Oh my god, I told you, I'm married!" Tre exclaimed, teasing Adrienne again, as he had all through our interview.

Adrienne smirked and shot back, "Who said I was here for you?"

"Ouch, burned," Mike said, laughing with Bill and I. Tre simply grunted in return.

"So, wait, you've never flown?" I asked, looking over at Adrienne. I had just realized, if she's only ever been to Wisconsin then she's probably never flown.

"Nope," she said, her voice sounding a bit breathless, as if she were nervous.

"This could be the day. This might be the plane that explodes in mid-air, or crashes," Tre said, leaning towards Adrienne with a menacing face. I placed my hand on his shoulder, hinting at him to back off. I didn't want Tre's obnoxious behavior and words to scare her.

But Adrienne just smiled at Tre and said, "Well, then I guess we're all going down together." I grinned, maybe Tre had met his match.