RockFan

4

Billie Joe's POV

I stood in line to walk through security at Oakland International Airport. When it was my turn, I put my backpack on the belt to be scanned and I walked through the metal detector. No alarms went off. By now, and with a great amount of practice, I knew the ins and outs of what one should wear when flying. I retrieved my backpack, the only piece of luggage I would be bringing with me to Minnesota, once I was through the checkpoint. Me, Mike, and Tre could pack light for this trip, we were only doing one interview, meeting up with some old friends in the area, then flying right back to California.

I hadn't been to Minnesota in quite a while, not since our last tour which was some years ago. I remembered the summers were hot and filled with mosquitos, but the winters were long and brutally cold. It was September now, not quite winter, but I knew the temperature difference between here and there was enough to make me pack a thick sweater and a couple thermals. I saw Mike, Tre, and Bill Schneider, our tour manager and friend, already waiting on the other side of the checkpoint. I went over and sat beside them, waiting until we could board the plane.

*
Adrienne's POV

For the first time since I had been notified of my father's death I smiled, genuinely. I scrolled through my questions for my interview tomorrow, more than pleased with the solid and original questions I had for the band. I had read so many biographies and past interviews about the band, so I had a basic idea of their backgrounds and personalities. I listened to their previously released albums, from 1039/Smooth to Shenanigans, so I knew how much they had evolved since their teenage days. I felt like in the past week or so I had become one of their obsessed, teenage stalkers.

I saved my questions and powered down my laptop. It was nearly nine o'clock and besides me only Tim was still here. I looked over to see the light coming through under his closed door, I got up from my chair, got on my coat, and grabbed my purse. I went over to Tim's door and stood there quietly, listening, for a few seconds.

Finally, I called, "Goodnight, Tim. See ya tomorrow."

I heard fumbling and then footsteps, the door opened, "Adrienne I didn't know you were still here?"

I could see his eyes were red, and his voice sounded different. I could easily observe Tim had been silently sobbing in his office, for how long I don't know. There was a fine line between being friendly with your boss and over-stepping your boundaries. Still, Tim had offered his condolences and "anything he could do" to me, and I wanted to do the same for him.

"Tim, what's wrong? Is this about the interview tomorrow?" I asked.

"No, no. I'm not worried about that, I know it'll be great."

"Is there anything I can do Tim? I can tell everything is not alright," I said.

"Oh it's..it's just personal issues," he let out a heavy sigh, "Karen's called off our engagement."

"Oh. Oh, I'm really sorry, Tim. I don't know what to say," I said, and I really didn't know what I could say. I had been so blinded with my own pain lately that perhaps I was oblivious to a red-eyed, tear-stain cheeked Tim.

"It's fine. Thank-you for asking," he said, and he actually did look more relieved now that he had shared his heart-aching secret with someone.

"Well, goodnight, Tim. We've got a huge day tomorrow, so-"

"Adrienne," Tim interrupted me, "Would you like to spend the night with me? We could go to the hotel down the street, maybe grab a late dinner and then..."

I think Tim stopped talking because he had already gotten my answer by the look in my eyes. I liked Tim, but I did not want him in any way intimately. Also, a called-off engagement did not justify a one-night stand. Not to mention, it would make work completely uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry, that was entirely inappropriate of me," Tim said, embarrassed, running his fingers through his hair while his cheeks blushed.

I smiled kindly and patted his shoulder, "Don't be, it's okay. I understand. I'll see you tomorrow, boss."

"Yeah. Good night, Adrienne. See you tomorrow."