Coming Home

1/1

“I doubt he’ll even be home for Christmas.” I rolled my eyes as my mother continued to shit talk my husband who was in the army and currently deployed on a two year stretch. “Mom, knock it off.” I said rather harshly to her I sighed a little and apologized I always was stressed around this time of the year. Talking to Matt was few and far between I never really got to see him much or talk to him much.

“I’m sorry baby, I forgot it’s hard on you not having your husband here for Christmas.” My mother spoke to me and put her hand on my back I sighed out softly and nodded my head to her I knew her heart was in the right place but I didn’t need to hear her shit talk my husband. She never supported my decision to marry a man in the military. Well let me rephrase that she never supported Matt’s choice in being in the military.

I stood by the phone that night waiting for a call from him it would be the last one before Christmas time. “Hello?” I said into the phone as it rang, “Hey baby.” I heard matt’s voice on the other side of the phone my heart thumped in my chest it was so nice to hear his voice.

“It’s so nice to hear your voice Maya, I miss you so much.” He said into the phone I felt the tears fill my eyes he’d been gone so long I always got emotional when he called me. “Any word on if you’ll be home for Christmas?” I asked hopefully into the phone. Matt had been trying for the last year and a half to get a two week leave for Christmas time.

“I got my request form back and it was denied.” He said sounding sad I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces, “Another Christmas without you.” I said crying into the phone I held my mouth so he wouldn’t be able to hear my sobs.

“Oh Maya I know it’s horrible but I’ll be home soon the two year is almost up anyway then I get to come home and the next crew comes out to take our place.” He said through the phone I heard the line getting a little fuzzy. “Maya we’re getting cut off so I’ll have to try and call you on Christmas day, I love you, I love you I love you.” He said into the phone I barely was able to say “I love you too,” before the line went dead.

I broke down crying once he hung up I wanted him back and he wasn’t going to be back. I looked at my mother with tears streaming down my face, “Go on get it over with tell me what you’ve wanted to all week.” I snapped and turned away from her going into the kitchen to cry into the sink.
Matt’s Point Of View

I hung up with Maya it broke my heart but if we would’ve stayed on the phone any longer she would’ve heard them call us for final boarding on the flight home. I jogged over and got onto the plane taking my seat the grin wouldn’t leave my face for the entire non-stop fourteen hour flight home.

“So you have any special plans when we land?” My commanding officer asked me I smiled at him and shook my head. “Not yet sir, I’m waiting for Christmas morning my father-in law is going to sneak me in and hide me in a present so I can surprise my wife, it’s been nearly two years since I’ve seen her.” I told him honestly and cupped the picture I had of us on our wedding day closer.

“That’s love Private.” He said to me I nodded my head as the plane touched down I was escorted out and I sighed looking around my home state, “it’s so nice to be home for the holidays.” I said to myself as I got into the car. “I can’t wait to see you Maya,” I said kissing the picture gently tucking it in my pocket.

End Point Of View
Christmas morning was coming too soon I tried to keep a happy face on for my family visiting from out of state but it was hard not having my husband with me during the holidays is when I missed him the most. “How are you holding up Maya deary?” My aunt Cheryl asked me I shrugged my shoulders as I hugged her gently. “I’m fine, I miss Matt more and more every day.”

“I’m sure you do love but, he’s keeping everyone in America safe.” She said trying to cheer me up I nodded my head knowing she was 100 percent right. He was protecting America and he was protecting me from intruders and terrorists.

“Alright everyone!” I heard My father call out to me I walked into the living room seeing all the gifts laid out I saw a large red box. “Whoa, who got the big box?” I asked thinking it’d belong to one of the little kids.

“I don’t know check the tag.” My dad said to me I walked over to it and read the little white tag on it, “To Maya, From Matt.” I gasped lightly and leaned in close as there was smaller writing. “Surpr-“ I was cut off when the top of the box came open and he popped up. “SURPRISE!” He said loudly and threw his arms up.

I nearly fell to the ground as I was so amazed he was here I threw my arms around him crying out softly, “Oh Matt! I missed you so much!” I cried into his neck holding onto him tightly I didn’t realize how long we’d been holding each other until my father cleared his throat and said. “You know there are other presents for everyone to open.” The crowd laughed lightly as I slowly let go.

I moved away from him as the rest of the people hugged him I was still crying my eyes out but seeing him home after so long made me happy. I never ever wanted this happiness to end. “I missed you Matt.”

“I missed you too Maya.” He said and looked up he grinned widely, “Look…mistletoe,” He said looking at me as he wrapped his arms around me I squeaked as he dipped me pressing his lips to mine I cupped his cheek in my hand as I returned the kiss. He was home and that was all that mattered the holidays could be happy with him there.