Forever Girl

Kissin' Taillights

The slam of the screen door echoed through the house as Mallory stomped up the stairs of her farm house. Pictures off the wall fell to the ground and glass scattered as she made her way down the hall throwing and ripping everything off the wall she could get her hands on as she worked up to their bedroom.

She yanked her suitcases down from the top of her closet and began throwing whatever clothes items that were hers she could into them. She was bound and determined to get the hell outta here by tonight and never look back if she could help it. This was a small town and they thrived on gossip this good, the news of her fiance's infidelity would spread like wild fire. There's no tellin' who already knows about it now and it wouldn't surprise her one bit if everyone else knew before she did.
Her parents had since past away and her only living family were out in Georgia and that's exactly where she planned to go. All she needed to get was her clothes and sentimental belongings, that asshole could have the rest.

Raylin Collins was her everything, you could call them high school sweethearts. He was all she had at the time she found out her parents had died and his family took her in. They were a couple all through school and into college. They hadn't long been engaged, six months or so, when she started noticing little things that were off about him but didn't think anything of it. Fast forward to about an hour ago and she's walking into his job and sees him all sidled up to someone who definitely isn't her. She didn't hang around long enough to hear any bullshit excuse he had because the kiss they shared was proof enough he had been seeing someone else on the side.

She double checked to make sure she had all her clothes, shoes,purses, and jewelry. She could easily replace all her toiletries and kitchen stuff when she got settled in to where it is she was going. Mallory dragged all her suitcases down the stairs and set them by the door. She walked into the kitchen and debated on whether or not to leave Raylin a note, instead she settled on the subtle approach and simply left her engagement ring on the island. If he wasn't going to give her any warning he wasn't happy in their relationship she wasn't going to give him any warning she was leaving. If it were up to her he'd never find out where she was going. She needed to start a new life outside of him and when it comes to breaking up in a small town, you have two choices:move or move on. There were way too many constant reminders of their life together in her home town, there's no way she could go without running into him every day either. Moving to another state was an all around better choice for her.

She loaded all her stuff into her truck and the very last thing she did before she finally got the hell out of there was grab their dog Hank. Hank was always hers more than Raylin's, she brought him home as a puppy and he just took to her more. He wasn't any kind of fancy dog breed, just some mut mixed with lab and retriever but he was as sweet as could be and was a good dog.
Down the road a little ways later she dialed her cousin Kayce's number.

" Hello?"

"Hey Kayce, it's Mal. Feel like having some extended company?"

"I'm always excited for you to visit. Can I ask what's up?"

"It's a not so long story but would be better told in person and not over the phone. Let's just say be glad you didn't spend any money on your bride's maid dress yet."

" Uh oh. Well I'll see ya when you get here girly. We'll talk over cheap wine and bad movies."

"Sounds like a good plan to me. I should make it in around mid day tomorrow. I'm gonna put the hammer down on this King Ranch and see how fast it will get me there. The sooner the better. Love ya"