Status: Hiatus - Permanently

First Lasts

Eligible Bachelor

We drove down the quiet highway, it had been sometime since Joslin had spoken, she stared out the window coolly, refusing to acknowledge my presence, which both irritated and perplexed me. My fascination with Joslin was a mystery to many even to myself at times, but there was something about this woman, she was incredibly irrational and frustrating, yet one glance from her sent shivers up my spine. Most women threw themselves at me, looking for my wealth, my status. Passion would ensue, It was known, and accepted, it's not that you didn't care, it's just you would never expect more. It would be foolish to, only women with one thing on their mind wanted a man like me, of course that thing was money.

But Joslin was different, she never asked for anything, nor would she take it. She was so frustrating with her stubborn independence and yet I couldn't help the feeling I liked it. She didn't want me either, in fact from her icy stare out the window, she wanted to be as far away as possible, and yet I couldn't help feeling like it was a challenge. It was strange, I couldn't put my finger on what I was feeling, surely not stirrings of any real emotion? I'm pretty sure I've been devoid of that since my youth. When ones parents bicker incessantly and try to buy your love, the idea of love becomes somewhat construed, when you realise your fathers empire is built on corrupt politicians the idea of good faith and honesty also goes out the window. I snapped my thinking back now wasn't the time to be considering actual emotions or buried pasts, even to be considering real romantic relationships. The election was on the doorstep and one slip up and I'd suffer my parentals wrath, messing up plans for city domination tended to cause one such an annoyance, plus I didn't want my stipend to ever stop coming in, being a pawn in such a game has it's perks, many, many perks.

I shook my head, it was probably the thrill of the chase as it was always. Constantly chasing women despite not needing to, only to discard them when the chase was over, like a lion to a gazelle. But hadn't I already gotten Joslin? I'd had her, the chase had been over and yet here I am again pursuing her. I glanced over she still stated idly out the window. Completely oblivious to my inner turmoil. We pulled up at her apartment, I was tempted to coax her to bed with me, but something stopped me, it was a nagging feeling in the back of my mind. She seemed surprised at my lack of vocalization, I simply gestured to the door, lost in my own thoughts. With a slight huff and confused look she left for her apartment. I went home.

Then I sat there, a scotch in one hand and my laptop in the other. Perusing the internet for the latest gossip on me, there was always one piece of false criticism. I wasn't disappointed, though a little shocked by what I found. A photo of me and Joslin from the restaurant today. My hand around her waist as I ushered her into my car, it headlined; "New Fiancé for City's Most Eligible Bachelor?" Then I saw Joslin was wearing a ring, one she had always worn, not anything I or Hunter had given her and of course the journalists had taken their own opinions to it. I read on, surprised about how positive the comments were, most of them stating what a lovely couple we made. It intrigued me, the poll next to my name had gone up by 20%, more people voted for me and cashed me for the election all because of this?

It was intriguing and then an idea began to formulate in my mind. If I won this election it would solidify my fathers business position and therefore my financial position. Unbeknownst to everyone else, my father had threatened to cut me off if I proved to be useless to him. This election guaranteed my lifelong wealth, and if a fiancé would change the publics opinion of me, to more favorable, maybe a fiancé was what I needed. It wouldn't do to get engaged to a new woman so quickly, that would backfire. But why not confirm the rumors that already whispered? Now the only obstacle was to convince the one woman in the city who didn't want anything to do with me and had a boyfriend, to get engaged... To me...

The next while would be very interesting to say the least.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I have been slack, I'm so sorry!
But the plot thickens!
Please let us know your thoughts, feedback is much loved!