Status: In very, very, very slow progress

Slythendor

"He's Not Lying- I Am A Slytherin."

It was a good job that she had warned them because Vanessa had tried not to mouth the words, but she only got to “And what’s the worst you take?” before the urge was too strong. Harry, Ron and Hermione were too immersed in their discussion to notice, though. However, when their conversation drifted towards Hogsmeade, they realised just how much she was engrossed in the music.

At one o’clock they bought some food from the plump witch with the food trolley (Vanessa complained that there never was any Skittles and wondered if Honeydukes sold them) and not long after the inevitable happened – Draco Malfoy came by their compartment.

“Hello Vanessa. What are you doing fraternizing with this filth?” He drawled, his pale, pointed face contorting into a sneer.

“You know, Draco, they’re actually nice people. From the descriptions you told me, I expected a pretentious prat, a brainless brainiac and a tiresome tag-a-long!” Vanessa smiled

“Why are you being so matey with Vanessa and how’d you know her, Malfoy.” Ron spat, his smile fading into a look of disgust. Malfoy grinned malevolently at Vanessa who realised what he was going to reveal to them. Her pale face turned from a smile to a look that said clearly, ‘well, I knew it had to end soon’.

“Why should I care if you tell them? They’re gonna find out anyway after we change into our uniform so why should it matter? You know what Draco? I couldn’t care less if you told them.” She finished triumphantly.

“Fine then, I will. Potty, Weasel, Mudblood; she’s a Slytherin.” Malfoy informed them. Professor Lupin grunted in his sleep, causing Draco to jump and say, “Who’s that?!” to which Harry replied casually,
“New Professor.” Lupin stirred slightly, making Malfoy (followed by his cronies Crabbe and Goyle) to turn on his heel and half run in the opposite direction.

“He’s lying, isn’t he?” Ron questioned. “You’re not really a Slytherin, are you?”

“No, Ron. He’s not lying. I am a Slytherin.” Vanessa sighed, readying herself for the worst. “And I understand if you never wish to hear my name uttered again. You can leave now if you want; I know nice, decent Gryffindors like you would never want to share a compartment with a Slytherin.”

“Nonsense! Look, Ness - I can call you that, right? Thanks. - Look, we’re your friends and we couldn’t care less what house you’re in. Right?” Hermione reassured her.

“Right!” Harry and Ron agreed.

“Thanks guys. I mean it- only a select group has overlooked my house and befriended me.” Vanessa grinned.