‹ Prequel: Valentine's Day
Status: This is COMPLETE! Yay! :D

30 Days

Day 29: Jack's P.O.V.

“Your first love
Yeah, you're so young…”

- The First One, Boys Like Girls.

---

I was pleased that my first gift hadn’t been scorned. It had been an impulse buy at the mall earlier on in the month. In fact, Alex had come to school with the key ring dangling off his backpack. I’d grinned so widely that Rian asked what was up.

“Nothing.” I said, unable to stop grinning.

---

“Hey Alex!” I yelled down the corridor, much to the amusement of the boy being addressed, judging by the way he cracked up in laughter at the other end of the corridor.

He waved, smiling widely, and then began to push his way down towards me. I watched his progress.

When he reached me, Alex said, “Hey to you as well Jack.”

I laughed, leaning against my locker while Alex retrieved a book from his locker, “It was funny, and you can’t deny that. I saw you laughing.”

“That’s true.”

God, I love him, I thought, a wave of adoration rushing though me.

Before I could reply, the bell went and we were shoved in opposite directions. Just before he went completely out of sight, I saw him mouth something, but I had no idea what it was, so before I got to my next class (Geography – one of the few classes Alex and I didn’t have together) I texted him.

My phone buzzed as I sat down at my usual table at the back of the classroom. I got my phone out and opened the text.

Btw, do u wanna chat l8er?? ;)

With a grin lighting up my face, I texted back.

Yeah! Where? :D

A few minutes later, as I was beginning the first task that had been set by my teacher, my phone when off again.

Behind scool. C u then.

My fingers flew across the keyboard.

C u then Lex.

As my brain registered what I’d just sent to Alex, my eyes widened. I’d only ever dreamed about calling him ‘Lex’, I’d never actually done it. I was crazy, this one slip up had fucked up this ‘courting’ shit up before it had even begun properly. Which reminded me, I hadn’t actually sorted out today’s gift. Shit. Looks like it would have to be a crappy muffin from the canteen. Not very remarkable, if I was trying to impress Alex.

---

Double chocolate muffin in one hand (I’d bribed Rian to go and buy a decent one for me – must remember that I owe him) and iPod in the other, I rounded the back of the school building. I found Alex sitting on the low brick wall, dark brown hair blowing in the slight wind and his eyes fixed on something that I couldn’t see. But then his eyes flicked upwards to me and a grin spread over his face.

I always thought that Alex smiling was one of the Seven Wonders of the World. (And, yes, I’m allowed to be that fucking sappy – I’m in love with the guy after all.)

“Hey Alex.” I greeted, handing him the muffin.

“Why have you given me this?” Alex asked in confusion, though that didn’t stop him from tearing a piece off and shoving it in his mouth.

I shrugged, “Why not?”

It was quiet for a few minutes while Alex continued to eat the muffin. He offered me some which I accepted. It was a good muffin.

“Oh!” Alex said.

I looked at him. I had been watching the pigeons fly from the roof to the field and back again.

“What?” I asked.

“You gave me this,” He held up the empty wrapper, “Because of the ‘courting’ thing, didn’t you?”

I nodded, “Yeah, I did.”

“Well, I liked it.” Alex smiled.

“Good.”

“Oh, by the way,” He said, just as my eyes began to slip close, “Why did you call me ‘Lex’ earlier in your text?”

Oh shit! I thought, blushing red.

Trying to maintain a casual air, I shrugged, “It just came to me. You don’t mind, do you?”

It was silent, barring the noise coming from the school building as the last few stragglers made their way home, before Alex decided to speak.

“It’s fine, it’s just, we’ve never really had nicknames before have we?”

“No, I guess not.” I said quietly, picking at a hole in my jeans. I probably needed to get a new pair, but I didn’t like throwing away a pair that had a few more months’ worth of wearing in them.

Alex’s fingers gently pulled my chin up so I was looking at him. Fuck, he has beautiful eyes.

“Jack, honestly it’s fine,” He said, looking me in the eyes, “I actually like it.”

A smiled bloomed on my face without waiting for my permission.

“Thank God,” I said, relieved, standing up, “Shall we go home Lex?”

“Sure Jacky.”

Holy fucking hell, I thought, He had a nickname for me!
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this fanfic more than life! And you guys seem to as well, which makes me happy. :)

Thanks for the two comments - you know who you are - they made my day! :D