Plus One

eight

Jude and I met up with Hana and the rest of the bridesmaids in the lobby. “Hey, is it okay if Jude just hangs out on the beach while we take pictures?” I asked. Oliver and the other four groomsmen were already at the altar with Marcus. I had no clue who was going to be escorting me down the aisle; probably Marcus’s brother or something.

“Oh,” Hana said distractedly. “Uh, I’m not sure . . . we’re going to be taking pictures . . .”

“I promise I won’t get in your way,” Jude said sincerely. “And you look beautiful, by the way.”

Hana stopped dithering about and smiled at him, looking almost bashful. “Oh. Thank you so much. I suppose it’s okay if you come.”

“Great. Thank you,” Jude said with a charming smile.

“Come on everyone, let’s go!” Hana’s mother called.

As we all followed her outside, I kicked Jude as best I could without messing up my dress or falling down in my heels. “You’re such a kiss-up.”

He grinned. “Yeah but it worked, didn’t it?”

I rolled my eyes. Marcus and Hana didn’t want to see each other before the actual wedding, so it was just the bridal party taking pictures. The entire party would take pictures together after the ceremony. While the photographer took some of just Hana and her family, I watched Jude out of the corner of my eye.

At first he merely stood there, watching all of us with a mildly bored expression. Then a soccer ball came rolling to a stop a few feet away from him. A couple younger boys ran over, motioning for him to kick it back. Jude grinned a little and kicked it back with surprising skill. The boys all smiled, and suddenly Jude was joining in their game, casually kicking the ball back and forth with his hands in his pockets, like he did this every day. It was endearing to watch, but also kind of hot. I quickly focused back on Hana as the photographer lined us all up again to do some more pictures.

Once we were done, I went over to Jude, who waved good-bye to the boys and turned to me. “Since when do you play soccer?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

He shrugged. “I played during middle school and high school. It’s fun.”

“How come I didn’t know that?”

“I’m a complex man, baby,” he said with a wink as Leanne joined us.

“Hey Jude — ha, get it? Would you mind taking a picture of just me and Michaela?”

“Sure,” Jude answered, smartly choosing to ignore her terrible name pun. Leanne and I put our arms around each other and smiled as he took a couple pictures, making sure to do a few silly ones too.

“Thanks,” Leanne said cheerfully, taking her phone back. “Want me to get one of you two?”

Jude looked at me, almost like he was asking for permission. But I was in a good mood, so I said, “Sure, why not?”

“Great,” Leanne said, a knowing smile on her face that I also chose to ignore. I gave her my phone before going over to Jude and leaning into his side as he wrapped his arm around my waist. I smiled for a few pictures before I whispered, “Wait, are you smiling?”

Jude turned his head a little to look at me incredulously. “Yes, I’m smiling. Are you?”

“Yeah, but I was just checking.”

“It’s a picture. Why wouldn’t I be?” Jude said, beginning to laugh.

“I don’t know!” I said, laughing too. “Jesus. I was only asking.”

“Here you go,” Leanne said, handing me my phone. “They came out really nice.”

“Thanks,” I said. Before I could look at them, Hana’s mother cried, “The ceremony will be starting soon! Everybody get in your places! Let’s go!” We walked over to where a makeshift “aisle” had been made in the sand, consisting of a long, white tablecloth that led to the altar. I could see all of the guests sitting in the chairs, and I felt a little nervous.

“Guess I’d better go,” Jude murmured to me. “Good luck. Don’t trip.” He winked at me as I punched his shoulder. He waved to Leanne before following Hana’s mother to the set of chairs that were reserved for friends and family of the bride and groom in the front row. I had no idea how he’d managed to finesse sitting there, but I guessed he just used my relationship with Marcus and Hana as leverage. Typical.

The groomsmen came out and joined us and we all lined up in order. I was in front of Leanne and Oliver, paired with Kyle, one of Marcus’s brothers. “Hey, Michaela,” he greeted me, offering his arm. “Hope this isn’t too awkward for you.”

I forced a smile as I took his arm, wondering how much it would ruin the wedding if I decked him. “Not awkward at all,” I said smoothly. “I’m very happy for Hana and Marcus.”

He nodded. “Riiiiight.”

The wedding march began to play. Kyle and I were the second pair to go, so we watched Kim and Marcus’s friend Todd march down the aisle, counting in our heads so we knew the right time to follow.

Everyone was turned to watch, but thankfully, no one was really looking at me; they were all looking past us, waiting for Hana. Jude was the only one who had his eyes on me. As I passed him, he gave me a tiny smile and a thumbs-up. I smiled back, feeling the nerves in my stomach lessen slightly.

We made it to the altar without tripping, and I breathed a sigh of relief as I turned and watched Leanne and Oliver walk, followed by Hana’s sister Aisha and Marcus’s other brother Peter, and then Hana’s other sister Meya and Marcus’s friend Jim. Hana’s best friend Heather was last, since she was the maid of honor, and then finally Hana and her father walked out together.

She looked radiant. There was no other way to describe it. Her hair was glossy and flowing down her shoulders, her makeup was soft and accentuated her already-beautiful features, and the smile on her face only added to it. I glanced at Marcus and saw he was staring at her with an equally big smile, his eyes slightly teary, and I realized I didn’t even feel the least bit jealous.

“Dearly beloved,” the officiant greeted everyone, “we are gathered here today to celebrate the joining of Marcus Andrew Green and Hana Reena Sadangi in holy matrimony.”

After an opening prayer and a reading by Hana’s maid of honor Heather, the officiant asked, “Is there anyone here today who believes these two should not be joined together in marriage? Speak now or forever hold your peace.”

There was a pause. Jude’s eyes flickered to me and the ghost of a smile grew on his face. I stuck my tongue out at him, keeping my mouth shut. It wouldn’t be right, and anyway, I didn’t even want to object. Not anymore.

“Very well. I believe Marcus and Hana have prepared their own vows. Who would like to go first?”

Hana raised her hand. “I’d like to go before I start crying,” she said, earning a laugh from the audience. She pulled a piece of paper out of the front of her gown — I didn’t miss the scandalized noises coming from the older guests — and began to read.

“Marcus, you are about to become my husband, but you should know you are so much more than that. You are my soulmate, my partner-in-crime, and my best friend. I promise I will laugh with you in times of joy, and comfort you in times of sorrow. I will share your dreams and support your goals. I will listen to you when you need it and encourage you to do your best. I will pick you up when you’re down and when you’re up, I will lift you higher. I can’t wait to build a family with you and I promise to be here for you today and all the days that follow. I love you.”

Hana could barely finish her last sentence due to the tears she was choking back. She wasn’t the only one; from what I could see, everyone in the audience was crying too. Marcus laughed and wiped his eyes, pulling a piece of paper out from his suit jacket. “Jeez,” he said, his voice shaky. “How am I gonna follow that up?”

I watched as he cleared his throat. “Everyone who knows me knows I am not good with relationships.” He paused, and I could’ve sworn he sent the tiniest wink my way. “But you, Hana. You never gave up on me. And I promise I will never give up on you, on us. I promise to respect you, and cherish you, and love you, no matter how difficult things get. I promise not to just grow old with you, but to grow with you. I promise to always be your biggest fan, just as you have always been mine. I was a little scared to be standing at this altar, but then I saw you and I realized that this is the easiest thing I’ll ever do. I love you, Hana.”

I didn’t even realize that I had tears in my own eyes until Jude caught my attention and mouthed, you’re crying! I was, and they weren’t even tears of sadness or bitterness or anger. They were tears of joy, because my friends were getting married and I was lucky to be a part of it.

Hana and Marcus were pronounced husband and wife, sliding the rings onto their fingers, and kissed like they were born to do it, smiling as they did so. They walked back down the aisle, and I gripped Kyle’s arm with a little more force than necessary as we followed them, just for making that comment before.

The time between the ceremony and the reception was filled with picture-taking. A few were taken of the wedding party, but afterwards it was mostly just pictures of Marcus and Hana, standing in the waves, kissing in the sand dunes, holding hands on the beach, etc. It was cute to watch, but I was also getting pretty hungry. Plus, I missed Jude. I’d lost him in the throng of people exiting the tent.

I didn’t need to wonder long. I was standing off to the side, watching the photographer snap some pictures of Marcus and the groomsmen, when someone snuck up behind me and slid their arm around my waist. “Hey.”

I turned. Jude was standing there, smiling at me. “Hey,” I said, leaning into him like this was a regular thing, “I was just looking for you.”

“Here I am,” he said, gesturing to himself. “Nice ceremony, huh?”

“Yeah, beautiful. I just wish the reception started sooner,” I said with a sigh. “I’m starving.”

“I thought you might be,” Jude said, and to my surprise, he pulled his arm out from behind his back and presented me with a . . . taco?

“Where did you get this?” I asked, staring at it.

“There’s a food truck parked a little ways down. Wanna split it with me?” he asked, waving it in front of my face enticingly.

“Oh my God, yes,” I said, a little too enthusiastically. I was pretty hungry. “You’re a lifesaver, I could just —” I took my half of the taco and, before I could lose my nerve, leaned up and kissed him on the cheek. “Thanks, Jude.”

He cleared his throat. He was studying his taco, but I could see his cheeks were a little pink, to my satisfaction. “No problem.”

“Michaela!” Leanne called. “Hana wants some more pictures of all of us!”

“Coming!” I shouted. I shoved my half into my mouth, chewing and swallowing with some difficulty. Jude looked on, impressed. “I’ll see you at the reception?” I asked.

He nodded. “Yeah. See you.” I watched him walk away before I turned to join the rest of the bridal party.

“God,” Leanne said as I came up next to her, “I can’t wait to take these shoes off. And sit down, and stuff my face with food, and get super drunk.” She brightened. “Wow, I hope I get invited to a lot more weddings after this. Having unlimited access to free booze is great.”

“Pace yourself,” I reminded her. Leanne was known for being a maudlin drunk. Surprisingly enough, I was a pretty happy drunk. Leanne liked to say it was to make up for how grumpy I was whenever I was sober. “I don’t need you crying into your wine glass the entire evening.”

She waved her hand. “Please. If I cry at all tonight, I’ll just lie and say it’s because I’m so happy for Hana and Marcus. Problem solved.”

I laughed. “Okay, deal.”

The reception was being held in the hotel’s lavish banquet hall, and it started about an hour after the ceremony, to my relief. Since Leanne and I had taken the place of Hana’s cousins, we still got to sit at the head table with her and her family, which was pretty cool. Jude somehow even managed to haggle his way into sitting next to me even though he wasn’t part of the wedding party.

“Hey,” he said, sliding into the chair next to me.

“Hey,” I said, surprised. “What are you doing here?”

“This is my seat.”

“You’re kidding.”

He shook his head and pointed at the name card on the plate. Sure enough, in gold cursive it said JUDE KELLY.

“How did you manage to convince Hana to rearrange her seating so you could be next to me?” I asked incredulously.

Jude shrugged with a grin. “Well, first of all, Hana loves me now.”

“For reasons unknown,” I interjected. He gave me the finger before continuing.

“Second, once I pointed out the tragic fact that I wasn’t sitting next to my beloved significant other, she immediately made some adjustments. No one likes an unrequited love story, you know.”

I snorted and rolled my eyes. “Whatever you say. At any rate, I’m glad you’re here with me.”

There was a pause as Jude stared at me, his expression turning serious. “Here . . . next to you? Or here at this wedding?” he asked quietly.

I swallowed as he waited for my answer. A voice that sounded suspiciously like Leanne’s whispered tell the truth, but what was the truth? It was no secret that our relationship got off to a rocky start, and bringing him as my date wasn’t an ideal situation for either of us. But now?

Now I realized that although Jude could be cocky and annoying, he was also intelligent and charming and fun. He was quick to rescue me from awkward situations with Hana and Marcus, and he never took me too seriously when I was being melodramatic. While I might not have wanted him here in the beginning, I was definitely glad he was here now.

So I said, “Both.” Jude smiled at that, his cheeks turning a little pink, and glanced down at his lap.

“That’s good,” he said. He tentatively put his arm around the back of my chair, and I leaned into him, resting my head on his shoulder. And it was then, finally, that I felt myself become truly happy at this wedding.
♠ ♠ ♠
I literally had to google how weddings work because homegirl has no idea. hopefully no wedding experts are reading this???????

but aren't michaela and jude so cute can i get an AWWWW

this is not the last chapter!!!!! much drama and angst to come :))))