Wait for Me

Three

"Good morning!" Linda smiled at the camera. "You're watching "The Sun Room". I'm Linda, along with Sasha and Carrie and please give a warm welcome to Grace Binconi."
The three women, along with the audience, clapped as Grace smiled politely at the camera, then at the audience, then thanked Sasha, Linda and Carrie for having her there.
"Today, we have two singers that are proof that losing a competition doesn't always mean you're forgotten." Sasha prepped the audience.
"Yes, I'm talking about Cher Lloyd and YouTube phenomenon who skyrocketed to fame at just fourteen, Justin Bieber! As well as a seasoned actor who has won multiple Academy Awards, Emmy Awards and Golden Globes and now has a new movie out, Tom Hanks!" Carrie added with enthusiasm.
"We'll be right back with Cher Lloyd." Linda informed the viewers.
The cameras panned out as all four women leaned in towards each other to discuss a seemingly interesting, yet secret, conversation topic.
"And we're off!" a cameraman yelled. The other three women relaxed while Grace shifted her legs uneasily in her seat. She looked back at the stage entrance and spotted Justin peeking through a dark curtain. He smiled excitedly and gave her a thumbs up. She turned around and tried to hide a smile as she smoothed out her skirt and sat up straight.
"And we're back in 3, 2..."
"Hi, and welcome back to "The Sun Room". This guest can sing, write and rap. She also is very careful about not following the popular clothing trends. Please welcome Cher Lloyd!"
Cheering and clapping erupted from the audience as the women stood and faced the entrance. Cher gracefully walked out in heels and waved. She smiled and briefly hugged Grace, Carrie, Sasha and Linda before waving to the audience and sitting down on the middle couch cushion.
"Welcome, Cher Lloyd. Glad to have you join us." Carrie said.
"Thank you for having me."
"So, you have a new single "I Wish" featuring T.I., but you've postponed the release of the album until further notice."
"Yes, that's true. I can't really explain why exactly, but I can assure you that it was not my choice to push back the release date. I was very upset when they told me."
"And it was supposed to be released this November, is that right?" Grace asked.
"Yes." Cher responded. "It was to be shelved in November. I don't think my fans should have to wait so long for new music."
"And Lorde's comments..." Sasha started. "We have to talk about that."
"Yes. Lorde condemned Selena Gomez for her song "Come & Get It", claiming that she is "sick of women being portrayed that way."
"Yes, I mean, Lorde has had so much success so rapidly that she should be rejoicing. Not basking in it and letting it go to her head, but just enjoying it and being thankful for it. She doesn't need to be bashing other artists and making enemies."
She received applause for that answer.
"And she also called out Taylor Swift, calling her "too perfect and unattainable". Share your thoughts on that, if you will."
"Well, for one, I don't think she should be pointing fingers. But on the other hand, I sort of agree with the "too perfect" statement. Our society does put much too much emphasis on outward appearances and weight and being a size zero or double zero. It's unhealthy."
Sasha and Grace nodded, agreeing.
"And she also targeted Justin Bieber, saying "I feel like the influences that are there in the industry for people my age, like Justin Bieber or whatever, are just maybe not a very real depiction of what it's like to be a young person."
"Well, I'm a fan of his. And that's true. Not every teenager is rich, famous, powerful and as talented as he is."
"Grace," Carrie suggested. "Like to elaborate on that?"
Grace smiled and fidgeted in her seat cushion. "Um, well. I agree with what they both said about real depiction of a young person. I mean, if we could all be superstars and make it big in the industry, then there wouldn't be any hype around it. There'd be nothing special, fantastic or super about it. This is the closest thing I can come up with right now, but for example, when my parents watched High School Musical for the first time, they told me not to expect students to randomly dance on lunch tables and jump out of the lunch line and perform a rehearsed dance number. There will be the outcasts. There will be the cool kids. There will be the popular cliques. And there will be drama. But nothing like this."
"Right." Cher said. "If we base our expectations of reality on what we see on television, then we're doomed to disappointment from the start."
"So true."
Cher continued. "But I'd also like to say: don't single certain people out. She didn't have to say 'Justin Bieber'. That then brings the fanbases into it, and Heaven knows the Beliebers are not ones to go down without a fight, nor are my Bratz."
"After the break, we'll be on with Justin Bieber." Linda smiled at the camera.
The women got up and went backstage for a short break. Grace retrieved her iced mocha from the lounge and checked her phone.

Great job, sweetheart. - Mom

Before she could respond, her sister was calling. "Hey, so how hard was it to not jump on Lorde for dissing your man?" she teased.
"Shut up." Grace chided. "I am trying not to be biased here, Angela." she defended.
"Nah, I'm just kidding. You're doing great."
Grace spotted Justin waiting patiently in the corner.
"Hey, I gotta go."
She hung up and looked at Justin. "Hey."
"Hey. You're doing great out there. And thank you for defending me."
"I'm not gonna lie- it's quite difficult to be biased when people are bagging on your idol."
"Grace, we're gonna be on soon." A producer said. "Thanks." She turned to Justin. "Well, I'll see you out there soon, I guess."
The women walked out onto the stage and took their seats.
"And we're on again in 3, 2, 1..."