Wait for Me

Nine

"Wow." Grace sat in Starbucks with Justin, listening to the way Selena had tried to seduce him.

"Yeah. It was so not easy telling her 'no'." He admitted.

"But you survived." She quietly absolved, attempting to cheer him up.

"I feel bad telling her no, but it also felt great to stand up for something."

"I'm sure you already know this, but I'm proud of your character and how you dealt with that."

"Thanks."

On and off through the visit, Justin kept staring at someone or something behind Grace.

"Justin, what is it?"

"Tell me. What was your ex-boyfriend's name?"

"Jake. Why?"

"Where did you meet him?"

"Canada. I was seventeen when we met. He was nineteen."

"So if you're almost twenty-one..."

"He's twenty-three."

"What did he look like?" Justin repeatedly glanced behind Grace.

"Justin, what is it?"

"Tell me, please."

"He had tan skin, shaggy brown hair and blue eyes."

He seemed hesitant, worry in his eyes.

"Is it at all possible that Jake could have followed you here to LA?"

Grace's stomach clenched. She had seen Jake as a kind, compassionate person right up until the moment he had tried to hurt her.

"He's getting up." Justin informed her. "And he's coming our way."

Grace was nervous, scared. They had broken up two days after graduation and a month after that, Grace had moved down to California. In that short month, they had only crossed paths once and he had glared at her with an intense hatred she would never forget.

Grace's jaw clenched and she saw Justin try to smile, his biceps tensing. His jaw was clenched as well. He looked ready to pounce.

She took a sip of her coffee as a man stopped at their table.

"Excuse me. You look very familiar." the man said.

Grace nodded. "Hi, Jake."