Status: Just something to get you guys in the mood for Christmas!

Snowflakes

Monday Morning; Dec. 15th

It snowed intensely all night long, and because of that, I chose to stay inside for the day. I brought my nook along so I could read just in case something like this happened.

I was laying sideways across the small couch in the sitting room of the house. The telly was set on the news but on a low volume, so it only made a low hum to drown out some of the stale silence that crept through the house.

Gramma Abbey was knitting in an armchair a few feet from me. She would occasionally glance up at me and smirk whenever I checked my phone.

"Expecting an important phone call?" She chuckled, glancing up at me from below her eyelashes.

I wasn’t waiting for anything special to pop up on my lock screen; I was simply checking the time. That’s exactly what I told her, but she was still unconvinced.

"Of course dear," she smiled slyly. "Why don’t you just call him? Or send him a text message?"

"He’s probably still at work," I shrugged.

"Then why do you keep looking at your phone?" She raised an inquisitive brow.

"I told you; I was checking the time," I stated matter-of-factly.

"It’s almost half noon," she said flatly, focusing back down at her knitting.

I sat up straight in my seat and glanced around the room. There wasn’t a clock in sight, but when I checked my phone, she was correct. It was about three minutes until Harry supposedly got off of his shift. He made sure I knew of that when I left the bake shop yesterday. He text messaged me as soon as I stepped through the front door of Gramma Abbey’s house.

Just as I sat my phone back down on the coffee table, it began to vibrate rapidly against the wood. I snatched it back up quickly only to see that it was my mother. I sighed and clicked accept.

Kenna?” My mother asked from the other end.

I rolled my eyes. “Yes, mum. Who else did you expect?”

Don’t take a tone with me young lady,” she gasped.

I rolled my eyes again.

"Sorry mother. How’s Evan?" I asked in a faux-polite tone.

Evan is well, but how are you dear? And how is Gramma? Are you enjoying your stay? Have you found some sweater-weather-spirit yet?" She inquired, barely taking breaths between each sentence.

"That’s good. I’m well, and Gramma is well. I’m very much enjoying myself to be quite honest. And I’m working on it. I still can’t stand this cold weather," I answered honestly in a slightly rushed fashion. I didn’t want to drag the call on any longer than it had to be. My mother could talk for miles.

Have you two decorated the tree yet?

Gramma hasn’t had a Christmas tree for five years. She promised my mother we would put one up this year but we have yet to do so. “No mum. I forgot all about the tree,” I replied, glancing over to Gramma Abbey, who simply shrugged. “I think we’ll be doing it later this afternoon,” I lied.

I wasn’t sure when we would be doing any decorating (or if we would). The house was never really covered in ribbons and bows unless Gramma Abbey was expecting the family to come visit, which wasn’t something we expected this year.

My mother continued to blather on about things she suggested I do while on my “winter getaway” but quite honestly, I wasn’t paying the slightest amount of attention to her words.

A small beep sounded through the speaker of my phone. I brought the device away from my ear to peer at the screen. A text message had appeared from Harry.

"Mum, I gotta go," I grinned to myself. I was quick to press the end button.

Oh, alright. Love yo-

I switched over to my text messages. A little grey chat bubble popped up with the words Harry had sent me.

Wanna go build a snowman?

I smiled to myself as I typed up a confirmation and asked where we should meet.

"That was rude," I heard Gramma Abbey speak up. My vision snapped over to her as she continued. "You really shouldn’t treat your mother like that."

"What do you mean?" I didn’t think there was anything wrong with how my mother and I conversed. Sure, I could be a bit snippy at times, but she knew I didn’t mean anything by it. If I was being honest, many of the things my mother said and did got under my skin; I’d like to say she did it on purpose.

"I mean hanging up on her, being disrespectful, and I saw the way your eyes glazed over as she spoke on and on about decorations and such," she began, glowering at me just enough to get her point across. "I know this is a bit hard for a teenager to believe but your mother is not the source of all of your problems. A lot of the time it’s your attitude that needs an adjustment."

As much as I didn’t want to admit it, she was right. I always thought I was showing my mother a bit of leniency but it finally dawned on me that being a single mother of two is taking more of a toll on her than I originally understood.

"You’re right," I looked down to my hands that still held my phone. "I have to apologize. I’m gonna text her right now and then I’ll get ready to go."

I started to stand up but Gramma Abbey spoke once again.

"Since you told your mother we would, I’m getting a tree while you’re out today and we are decorating it this afternoon. If you’d like, you could ask your friend if he’d like to help," she smirked up at me, quickly focusing back on her knitting.

I shook my head as I made my way to the small bedroom. I sat on the edge of the bed as I typed up a serious apology and added that I was going to build a snowman (because I knew that would go a long way with my mother) before I hit send and began to rummage through my duffle.

I found my red coat, black beanie and gloves, slipping them on before I pulled on my boot warmers and Uggs. I stood and checked my phone before I shoved it into my pocket. I said a quick farewell to Gramma Abbey and set out in the snow.

I was half-way down the driveway when I felt a small vibration in my pocket. I pulled the device from my pocket as a message from Harry popped up on the screen.

Do you want to meet at the Bakery?

I smiled to myself. Sure we can.Where are we gonna build the snowman?

It’s a secret ;)

Of course it is… I giggled before shoving it and my gloved hands into my coat pockets as I continued to walk the snow covered pavement. After a while of walking and just enjoying the scenery, the little bakery came into view. I pulled my hands out of my pocket and reached for the handle.

I didn’t see Harry (or anyone, for that matter) so I thought of leaving and I turned toward the door. I had my hand pressed to the glass of the door when I heard a familiar voice call my name.

"Kenna, where’re you going?" I turned to see Harry zipping up his jacket before slipping his fingers into his gloves. "Don’t tell me you’re trying to bail on me."

I turned back to him, placing my hands back into my pocket. “Thinkin’ about it,” I smirked.

"Playing hard to get, are we?" He smiled, stepping toward me.

"Maybe just a little," I grinned, shrugging slightly.

"Very well," he sighed.

He held his arm out for me to hook mine around, which I did with a small smile. He led me out onto the street and down the road. The paved road had eventually turned into what felt like a dirt path beneath my feet. The further we went, the more my curiosity grew. I couldn’t stop myself from asking again.

"Where are you taking me?" I chuckled.

"There’s this stream in the woods near my mum’s house. I thought it would be nice and quiet," he responded with a bit of excitement laced between his words. "But you have to promise that if I show you this place, you can’t bring anyone else here."

I giggled, not realizing the look he was giving me. "I promise," I nodded, smiling shyly up at him.

"Good," he returned my smile.

We came up to a woodsy area and Harry guided me through the trees effortlessly, like the path was spread out before him. I looked around and back up to Harry. The trees were considerably dense. The branches were bent and barren, except for the snow mounded on them.

I’d never told anyone, but I’d always had a fear of getting lost in the woods. I was never quite sure where this fear stemmed from (maybe it was that Hansel and Gretel story that my mum read to me before bed when I was seven), but I usually steered clear of forests and such but I didn’t feel there was a way of avoiding it today. Besides, I felt a bit safer knowing I wasn’t alone.

My grip tightened around his arm and he must’ve sensed my anxiety growing. He pulled his arm from my grasp and threw it over my shoulders. He pulled me closer as we continued through the forest.

"You have nothing to worry about. I’ve been to this place a hundred times; we’re not getting lost anytime soon," he assured me, keeping me close to him as we continued to walk.

Eventually, a clearing came into sight and Harry dropped his arm and walked ahead of me. My nerves began to swim around rapidly within me and, without thinking, I reached out and took his hand. He froze and looked back at me. I let go as soon as my mind caught up with me.

"A bit forward, aren’t we?" He grinned coyly at me as he backed further into the clearing.

"Don’t flatter yourself," I brushed my hair out of my face and shoved my hands back into my pockets.

He saw through my rouse without fail. “It’s alright; I’m not going to leave you out here. I promise,” he smiled genuinely at me. He reached toward me and pulled my hand from my pocket, wrapping his fingers around mine. I felt my cheeks begin to burn.

**


When I noticed the sun was starting to disappear behind the trees, I realized I’d better come up with an excuse for leaving the woods. There was no way I was staying out in that forest (or any forest) when it got dark. Harry, or no Harry; it was not an option in any way, shape or form.

"Oh, I was supposed to be home hours ago," I said, peering down at my phone. "I was supposed to help decorate."

"I can walk you home," he offered.

"I’d like to get out of the forest first," I smiled. "Baby steps."

He smiled and reached out to me. I took his hand and smiled gratefully as he began to lead us out of the weaving trees. I found myself breathing a lot easier when we emerged into the wide field. He began leading me back to town.

"So what brings you to Holmes Chapel? I’m sure I would’ve remembered seeing you around," he smirked slightly, still not releasing my hand from his grasp.

"I’m staying with my grandmother for a few weeks," I smiled half-heartedly.

"Just you?" He prodded.

I nodded, letting out a small sigh. “My little brother is back home with my mum. They sent me off to find some seasonal spirit or something.”

"Why? Are you not excited about the holidays?" He furrowed his brows together at me.

"Not really," I shrugged.

"What kind of teenage girl doesn’t get excited for Christmas?" he chuckled.

"A complete scrooge," I giggled, looking down to my feet.

"C’mon, I’m sure you’re not a complete scrooge,” he said sarcastically.

"Surely, you jest," I uttered loudly, as though I was offended by his words.

"Well… maybe you are," he laughed.

"That reminds me. Would you like to come help us decorate?" I smiled up at him. "I’m sure after all the energy building all those snowmen I won’t have enough energy to do it today but maybe you could come around Gramma Abbey’s place tomorrow around noon?”

He thought about it and nodded. “I’d love to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey readers! Update is a bit late and I apologize. Next update will be early next week. Maybe Monday or Tuesday. Hope you're enjoying!

Xx, harley.