Status: Just something to get you guys in the mood for Christmas!

Snowflakes

Wednesday Morning; Dec. 17th

I woke to a silent phone and no messages. I would be lying if I said I was disappointed. It was nice to not have anything planned or have anything on my plate.

When Harry left yesterday, we didn't make any plans so it was a bit nice to be able to have a quiet day to myself. I didn't plan to leave my bed other than to get food and go to the loo, so instead of getting up and dressed, I just rolled over to grab my nook off of the bedside table between the two twin-sized beds, slipping my glasses onto my nose as well. I flipped onto my side, opening the Jack Wills case I got last Christmas, and scrolled through my library.

Nothing struck me today as something I was particularly interested in reading. I huffed and sat up, throwing the quilts off of me and slumped into the hallway and down the stairs. I groaned as I opened the fridge; nothing looked good to me.

I was in a mood. I didn’t want to read. I wasn’t hungry for anything specific. I didn’t want to sleep. I didn’t know what I wanted, so I dragged my socks across the floors to the lounge room. I groaned as I flopped onto the couch across from Gramma Abbey, sitting in her favorite chair and reading her old worn-out copy of Pride and Prejudice again, as usual.

She didn’t look up from her book, so I sighed, trying to grab her attention. She still paid me no mind, so I sighed again, placing the back of my hand to my forehead like a damsel-in-distress. Her eyes still studied the print on the page and made no effort to acknowledge my pleas for attention. I sucked in a large breath and blew it out in the longest huff of a noise I think I had ever made in my life.

She rolled her eyes, bookmarked the page, closed the book, and removed her glasses. “What?” She grumbled.

“I’m bored,” I whined. “Entertain me.”

“Go read. You like to read,” she shrugged.

“I don’t wanna,” I sighed like a pouting child, bringing my hands behind my head. "Not today."

She chuckled lightly before she fell silent, looking around the room. I stared up at the ceiling wordlessly, waiting for a response. She sighed heavily, folding her hands on her lap.

“Makenna Alice, can I be honest with you?”

I sat up suddenly, “uh-oh, must be serious. You used my middle name.”

“It is serious,” she sighed, pausing and taking a shaky breath. She looked to the floor and exhaled slowly. Her eyes connected with mine. “I’m selling the house.”

“What?” I gasped.

“This is the last Christmas we’ll be spending in this old house,” she frowned.

“Why? I mean- I don’t understand,” I stuttered. “This place is a part of my childhood.”

“That’s just it,” she smiled. “Your childhood. But you’ve grown up. I’ve been in this house for years, but it seems like no one remembers that I’m usually here alone and it’s quiet and empty at all times.”

“I understand," I sighed defeatedly. "But we should at least make this last Christmas in this house special."

She smiled, grasping my hand lightly. “It is. All I wanted was for you to get the Christmas spirit back in the place that was your childhood hub for Christmas joy,” she grinned. “I never saw you happier than when you ran downstairs on Christmas morning with your cousins to see what Santa had brought.”

I smiled, feeling tears stinging my eyes. Imagining little Kenna stumbling down the stairs at dawn, I felt my heart swell. I was happiest then. It was my favorite part of being a kid. Lighting the tree, hanging lights, playing in the snow; it was all amazing. I never thought I’d lose that sense of joy. I never thought I wouldn’t feel that child-like wonder as the years dragged on. I didn't think this is what growing up would be like.

It felt like such a long time ago, and it was. But I didn’t want it to be.

I took a deep breath and connected my eyes to Gramma Abbey’s once again. “We should get the whole family out here.”

Her face contorted into a vision of pure confusion. “Why? What for?”

“For a Christmas party! As a farewell to the house,” I cheered. "One last hoorah to send the old girl off to!"

“Now Sweetheart,” she sighed, running her slender fingertips over her lips. I stared hopefully up at her with big, pleading, puppy-dog eyes. “If you want to try-”

“Oh thank you Gramma Abbey!” I threw my arms around her, cutting her sentence short. “You won’t regret it! We can hang mistletoe and watch Christmas movies just like we used to do. It’ll be great. You’ll see.”

“And you can invite Harry and his family as well if you like,” she grinned.

I smiled and kissed her forehead before I dashed up the stairs. I threw my duffle off of the chair it had been sitting on for days, taking it’s place in the seat. I pulled my legs underneath me as I took my phone into my fingers. I dialed up the number that I felt was most important: my mother.

She picked up on the second ring. “Ello?

“Hey mum,” I sang into the phone. “I have to make this quick because I have a lot of calls to make. Basically, I convinced Gramma Abbey to let me throw a Christmas party and I’ve decided to invite the whole family.”

Oh that sounds phenomenal!” She chirped. “Is there anyway I could help?

“Actually it would be very appreciated if you could call the family up and let them know to come to Gramma Abbey’s place ‘round half seven on Saturday,” I rushed.

The whole family?” She giggled. “Even your cousins?

“Every one of them that used to come ‘round when we were all kids,” I smiled and nodded, mostly for my own confirmation, since she couldn’t see it. “I just want it to be like old times for Gramma Abbey.”

Mhmm,” she mused.

“And for me,” I sighed dramatically. “I really miss how it used to be when I was younger.”

Alright. That’s what I wanted to hear,” I could hear the grin in her voice. “I’d be happy to help.

“Oh!” I exclaimed suddenly. “Tell them to bring a dish because it’s gonna be a potluck!”

She laughed. “Of course dear. What should I bring?

“Bring anything you like,” I smiled. “I recommend the potato salad you made for Easter because it was exquisite. Bye mum. Thanks for the help. I love you.”

Love you too, Kenna,” she chirped.

I pulled the phone from my ear and sent a quick message to Harry.

Bring your family around Gramma Abbey’s house at half seven on Saturday. We’re hosting a good old-fashioned Christmas party! And bring a dish if you like! :)
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 5! Almost there. Hope you're enjoying!

Xx, harley.