Status: Just something to get you guys in the mood for Christmas!

Snowflakes

Thursday Morning; Dec. 18th

I woke up bright and early the next morning. The first thing I did was reach for my phone, which would normally be placed on the nightstand to my left. When my fingertips felt the small candy bracelet instead, I remembered where my phone actually was. I slipped the bracelet over my wrist and sat up in the bed, throwing the covers off of me. Where I was laying, my phone rested, staying nice and warm all night long.

I spent half of the night texting Harry about the Christmas party, and somehow I’d fallen asleep before I could work up the energy to text him back one more time. When I unlocked my phone, I had three new messages from Harry:

Kenna? Are you there?

Did you fall asleep?

Well goodnight then xX


I smiled to myself and sent a small “sorry” message. I stood up from the edge of the bed and stepped over to the duffle bag, still sat in the same armchair. I threw on a simple outfit, sliding my boots on and then the bracelet Harry gave me. I pulled my hair up and grabbed my small backpack. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, Gramma Abbey was sat in her favorite chair, knitting away at a green and blue scarf.

My mind jumped to Evan.

I haven’t spoken to him since I got here. I should call him up today and see what’s been going on at home. I feel pretty bad for the kid. Being stuck at home with our mother all day and night can take a lot of patience. Or maybe that’s just me.

“I’m going out for a bit, Gramma,” I called out to her from the front door.

“Be careful,” she called back.

"I will!"

As soon as I got outside, I took my phone out of my pocket and opened up my home contact. I pushed the call button and awaited the answer.

Mother didn’t believe Evan needed a cellphone until he was at least thirteen. Since that was a few years away, I was stuck calling him through the house phone.

Hello?” Evan answered.

“Hey buddy! How ya been?” I asked cheerfully.

Kenna! I’ve been great. I’m packing my bag to come see you and Gramma tonight,” he rushed out.

“Woah woah, wait a minute. Did you say tonight?” I stopped him.

Well yeah. Didn’t gramma tell you?” He sounded confused.

“No, I heard nothing about it.”

Oh, maybe it was supposed to be a surprise? Mom was so excited to help with your Christmas party.

“I don’t know but I can’t wait to see you guys,” I shook my head.

Yeah, same here, but can I call you back later? I have to clean my room before we leave,” Evan stated.

“Yeah of course, buddy. Talk to you soon.”

Tonight.

I assumed they would be coming down early Saturday. I thought I would have at least a few days before I had to worry about my mum nagging me about leaving the house all the time, and where I was going, and when I would be back. I needed that; I needed the extra time. It was already Thursday and I hadn't even spent a week here without my mum, but I supposed I could live with that.

I was scrolling through my newly downloaded Christmas playlist when someone bumped my shoulder, knocking my phone from my hands and into the snow.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry," a female voice apologized quickly, bending down to grab my phone and handing it back to me. "I hope it's not damaged."

"Oh no, I'm sure it's fine. Just a bit cold," I laughed, inspecting the phone briefly before shoving it in my pocket.

"Well, good," she nodded, a smile spread on her face. "I'm really sorry; I should really watch where I'm going. I was too busy texting my brother to watch out for any passerby that may be in front of me."

"Well, if that's the case, then I guess we're both at fault. I was scrolling through my music at the time," I shrugged. "I'm Makenna, and you are?"

"Gemma," she smiled. "Pleasure to meet you, though I wish it wasn't because I nearly smashed your phone on the pavement. Are you headed to town?"

"Um, yes actually," I nodded.

"Mind if I tag along?" She asked politely. "I'm headed to surprise my brother. I just got home."

"Sure," I said, shrugging it off. "I'm actually headed to the bakery to see my friend."

"What a coincidence," she chirped. We began walking, our boots crunching into the snow as we went. She turned to me with a friendly grin. "I've never really seen you around here before. Did you move here recently or just visiting?"

"I'm just visiting, quite possibly for the last time as a matter of fact." I felt my shoulders slump subconsciously.

"Last time?" She asked, sounding confused and disappointed.

"My grandmother is selling her house and I'm not sure where she'll be moving to," I sighed.

"I didn't mean to upset you," she frowned.

"Oh, you didn't. I've been stewing over it, and I think I'm okay with it," I shrugged, trying to play it off cool. One the inside, however, my stomach was in knots over it. The thought of potentially never sleeping in that bedroom, eating in that kitchen, and sitting around that fireplace ever again, was enough to make me want to cry. "I mean my gramma will still be around, just not around here maybe," I sighed, letting myself feel the hopelessness for only a split second before I perked back up.

"That's a good way to look at it, I suppose," she nodded. "Won't you miss your friend though?"

Harry. I haven't even told him yet. I wasn't sure if I would miss him, but I guess I could come to visit sometime. That is, if mum would allow me to.

"Maybe, I kinda just met him Sunday," I laughed.

"Oh, so it's not like a childhood friendship thing," she confirmed. "I'm sure you'll get over him."

"Maybe, but he's really nice. It'd be kinda sad to just lose touch like that."

"You sure do say maybe a lot," she giggled.

"That's because everything seems so uncertain right now!" I defended, giggling at myself.

Our conversation faded as the bakery came into view. I waved a goodbye and a nice to meet you to the girl before running off to the bakery doors.

"Kenna," Harry smiled. He was serving an elderly woman in a thick pink wool sweater. "I'll be with you in a moment."

While waiting for him to finish up, I heard the bell above the door ping. Turning to see who was entering, I saw the same familiar girl.

"Gemma, what are you doing here?" I asked. "I thought you were meeting your brother."

"Funny story," she grinned.

"Sis!"

Sis? Harry is Gemma's brother. Of course. Why did I not see it coming? Today seemed to be full of coincidences. I didn't even know he had a sister. Has he mentioned her before?

Harry finished the old woman's purchase and ran around the counter, wrapping his arms around his sister. "What are you doing here? I thought you wouldn't be back until next week."

"Well, I got finished early and decided to just surprise you. Mum already knows," she smiled up at him. "So I met your friend." She smiled over to me.

"Oh, you two have already met?" He asked me, to which I replied with a nod.

"Kenna, I'm sorry. My little brother is a bit rude," she giggled, smacking lightly at his shoulder. The use of the word little threw me off a bit; there's nothing little about Harry. "Would you like to join us for dinner tomorrow night?"

"I'd like that, but I'll have to see if I can make it," I sighed.

"Oh? How come?" She quirked her brows at me.

I glanced at Harry, who looked a bit awkward at the moment, and smiled. "Because my mum and brother are coming down tonight for the holiday. It was supposed to be just me and my gran until Saturday, but they decided to surprise me."

"Oh that's alright," she laughed. "You have Harry's number right? Just text him to let us know."

I nodded. "Okay. I'll let you guys know."

"I have to get back to work," he smiled to me, turning to his sister. "I get off at one. Wanna get lunch?"

"Sure," she smiled, turning to me. "Would you like to join?"

"Uhm, no thanks," I smiled graciously. "I have to go home and help my grandma with some things before the party."

"Party?"

"Yeah, we are hosting a Christmas party. I invited you all to join us. Harry didn't tell you?" I scrunched my brows together.

"No," she glared at him. "What? Afraid I'll embarrass you?"

"Never," he chuckled. "I just haven't gotten a chance to tell you yet."

"Mhmm," she rolled her eyes, humming lowly. "What time should we be there?"

"Saturday, around seven thirty."

"Great! We'll see you then," she smiled again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw Gemma :) So the last two chapters are taking longer to write than I thought they would so they will probably be uploaded a bit later. Like, best case scenario, chapter seven is up tomorrow and chapter eight the day after, but I don't wanna get anyone's hopes up. Did Christmas sneak up on anyone else?

Happy Christmas Eve, harley.